PDA

View Full Version : birch lake

bogwalker
01-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Anyone know about birch lake? North of burntstick lake. I herd it's a brookie lake. What's access like?

coors04
01-05-2014, 09:52 PM
I was there last year. It's aerated now and you are correct about the brookies. Its really hard to describe but when you turn onto the birch lake road you drive for a bit and will notice a well sight 50 yards kinda up a hill on your left. Some people park there and walk down to the lake (5min) tops or you can keep driving and you will go down a small hill I believe and just as the road swings right I believe you may see a bush road on your left ( truck and 4x4 only in my opinion and with the snow fall this year good luck) it's a tight road and you could get yourself into trouble very quick but that is the way one could drive into the lake. We had no luck last year but I'm sure they are in there.

coors04
01-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Onto the lake not into sorry. But if you try driving on I would check the ice first there's a lot of insulation this year

bogwalker
01-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Can't see me driving my duramax on a airrated lake.. thanks for the info..

Exploits
01-06-2014, 07:10 AM
its fished out IMO. Use to be a good place, I couldn't buy one there the last three years.

WhitefishLady
01-06-2014, 08:21 AM
PM'd

FBI NATIVE GUY
12-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Just talked with a friend from Sundre, he caught 2 nice rainbows there in 2-3 hrs last week. walked on ,but plenty of ice, 8-10 in. Moved around alot as it was his first time there. Spotty bites,but good!! Headed out after xmas to see for myself.

fish gunner
12-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Last chance hotel , brookies are still moving and eatting . I suspect it will slow down in this moon cycle. Active fish are on the shallow margins ime. Had a steady morning recently with the bite tapering off after lunch. Recent advice on the lake proved steller without the frying pan :sHa_shakeshout:. No brutes but a number of fish over 14".

Spy
12-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I haven't had good luck at Birch but keep going back after seeing some real good Brookies in there. It's a nice spot to hit it the morning and then head to Burnstick for perch after the sun is up after lunch. :)

thrude1
12-23-2014, 12:40 PM
As the sign says they stocked it with rainbows and browns last year to enhance the fishing experience for all Albertans it should say ruin a perfectly good brookie lake we used to see 4-5lb brookies regularly but now with all the pressure from rainbow fishers hard to see a 2lber. been there twice this year a full parking lot 20-30 people kids dogs etc... if your looking for a nice relaxing day of catching some nice brookies .those days are gone but hey the experience is enhanced

fish gunner
12-23-2014, 12:44 PM
As the sign says they stocked it with rainbows and browns last year to enhance the fishing experience for all Albertans it should say ruin a perfectly good brookie lake we used to see 4-5lb brookies regularly but now with all the pressure from rainbow fishers hard to see a 2lber. been there twice this year a full parking lot 20-30 people kids dogs etc... if your looking for a nice relaxing day of catching some nice brookies .those days are gone but hey the experience is enhanced

Yer talking out you exhaust end fished 10-15 days on brich for the last few years seldom more than 2-3 other users less on the water.