PDA

View Full Version : Nwt

flyfisherman
01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
This summer me and my fishing buddies are thinking about a trip to the NWT.

We want to drive up from edmonton and do some fly fishing. We are just starting to do some searching to find a good destination within a days drive.
Does anyone have any suggestions for us? We'd like to go after trout and grayling.
We're open to both river and lakes but we won't be bringing a boat with us, we will bring our float tubes though.

dale7637
01-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Kakisa river on May long weekend for the grayling run! It's spectacular.

Good luck making the drive in one day though. You do realize that the border is about 11 hrs drive from Edmonton?

flyfisherman
01-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Yeah, we know it's gonna be a long drive. There are three of us though so we'll just take turns driving if we have to. We'll probably be going in july or august

madluk18
01-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Most definitely will be tough without a boat.

Kakisa river right off the hwy for the grayling. Lots of people tend to come out for that. If you drive into the town there may be good walleye fishing and grayling fishing off the dock in the town. I'm told that around Hay River there are spots but I believe you need a boat. You can catch walleye at Fort Providence usually right off the shore. along town or near the campground.

If you plan on going all the way to Yellowknife, I recommend trying out Bluefish services, Have heard nothing but great things. Will put you onto Lakers and Grayling. The only down side is its a guided outfit and costs money, but without a boat its really tough especially after June.

If you PM I can only think of one place that you could fly fish without a boat.

Lukas M