PDA

View Full Version : fishing in chinooks

malang
01-08-2014, 01:06 PM
hi all heading out this weekend looks like a Chinook will be blowing in I never seem to do well on these kind of days what do you guys do in these conditions.do you fish deeper /shallow/slower.:thinking-006:

WhitefishLady
01-08-2014, 04:25 PM
We haven't caught anything on chinook days either! Wonder if there is a scientiic explanation for this. I'm a biologist but I have no idea! We even got skunked on Pine Coulee :( it's always windy too on these days so have to pile snow around the shack.

ORV
01-08-2014, 04:44 PM
we always find the nicest days for the fishermen & women
are the crappiest days fishing. lol

not much luck during Chinooks here either. pressure change maybe??

orv.

WayneChristie
01-08-2014, 04:48 PM
Try fishing deeper.

petesapie
01-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Swing a streamer!

The Reel Deal
01-08-2014, 06:02 PM
I have slow bites during chinooks too. chinooks bring low barro pressures. but ive found low pressures or a drop in pressure to be good for fishing, except during chinooks... weird

Gust
01-08-2014, 06:08 PM
though only tested twice on the same lake,, I discovered by fluke, that the fish hit immediately below the ice in 12 fow,, so near the surface during a chinook. I have some theories as to why, but they're boring.

The Reel Deal
01-08-2014, 07:20 PM
though only tested twice on the same lake,, I discovered by fluke, that the fish hit immediately below the ice in 12 fow,, so near the surface during a chinook. I have some theories as to why, but they're boring.

You have my attention

Gust
01-08-2014, 08:33 PM
I think the ice acts like the skin of a drum,,, when the wind is hauling it pushes down upon the whole lake which if even a mm compression from above, would cause incredible water pressure below and then released pressure, which in turn must be hell on a fish. Kinda like if we went up and down in an elevator that was really fast and how our ear drums would feel.

The two last time on the lake were very chinooky,, I fished my usual 12 fow, at the bottom nothing,, at the top of the column, it was a steady bite.

dcampbster
01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
3 of us fishing Payne Lake today in chinook wind,caught one trout in 4hrs.

SCHOOCH
01-08-2014, 08:42 PM
I never catch anything anyways whatever the weather might be so absolutely no change for me........works for my tan though when its nice so thats a bonus!!!!! :)

The Reel Deal
01-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I think the ice acts like the skin of a drum,,, when the wind is hauling it pushes down upon the whole lake which if even a mm compression from above, would cause incredible water pressure below and then released pressure, which in turn must be hell on a fish. Kinda like if we went up and down in an elevator that was really fast and how our ear drums would feel.

The two last time on the lake were very chinooky,, I fished my usual 12 fow, at the bottom nothing,, at the top of the column, it was a steady bite.

Makes sense...
I'm assuming for trout or whites?

Gust
01-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Makes sense...
I'm assuming for trout or whites?

pike,,, but you know,,, last year the trout were way up the column at chain lakes, around 3 thru 4 feet below the ice in 14 fow on a killer Chinook day. nothing all day fishing near bottom, so every so often we raised our bait and then voila, bite-bite-bite and some nice sized ones for there.

Moefoe
01-09-2014, 12:40 AM
The tail end of a chinook can be pretty good, say the 3rd day...if your looking for Walleye find the deepest water in the system up too 40' or so. Rip rattle baits or spoons off the bottom and keep moving, drill lots of holes you'll get'em!!

Dale S
01-09-2014, 05:57 AM
The tail end of a chinook can be pretty good, say the 3rd day...if your looking for Walleye find the deepest water in the system up too 40' or so. Rip rattle baits or spoons off the bottom and keep moving, drill lots of holes you'll get'em!!

If you bring walleye up from 40' they die.

WayneChristie
01-09-2014, 06:25 AM

fished a crazy wind one time with another member, the wind was making whirlpools that went down 3 or 4 feet in the holes, maybe the commotion attracts the pike? likely brings some baitfish up too.

Freedom55
01-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Packed my gear last night and got up early today with a view towards my first ice fishing trip this season. Looked at my barometer and discovered that the Chinook winds that southern Alberta is experiencing have not only brought milder temperatures to this region; the barometric pressure has dropped to a seasonal low of 29.2inHg (99kPa) and 'gusterlies' forecast for the next 5 days. Rats. No fishing.

The only thing I ever caught during a west wind was a guys lawn chair, complete with a rod and a baggy of Niblets, as it blew across Chain Lake towards me.

Free

EZM
01-09-2014, 08:19 AM

I think the water pressure would be quickly dissipated in the water column and equalize relatively rapidly (fluid dynamics), however, I like where you are going with this theory, the movement of the ice (through contraction and/or wind) may create some harmonic turbulence or resonance throughout the water column driving fish away from these areas - either shallower or deeper.

I just made that up - but it sounds good.

TROLLER
01-09-2014, 09:49 AM

40FOW is a guarantee the walley will die.

Should actually be a rule against fishing walleye deeper than 25FOW Please don't fish walleye at 40 FOW

Moefoe
01-09-2014, 11:31 AM
40FOW is a guarantee the walley will die.

Should actually be a rule against fishing walleye deeper than 25FOW Please don't fish walleye at 40 FOW

I didn't know that...they were all in good shape when we slid them back down the hole. Well I guess that's the end of that little honey hole!!

Dan Foss
01-09-2014, 01:24 PM
I didn't know that...they were all in good shape when we slid them back down the hole. Well I guess that's the end of that little honey hole!!

Just so you know how / what happens... Put it in perspective similar to how humans get the bends coming up from scuba diving. ALL Fish in 30 FOW or deeper are experiencing different water pressures. Bringing them up from 30+ is essentially pulling them into less pressure and their bladders and organs will basically expand like a balloon and pop because they are used to higher pressured waters. If you do have an incidental hook up in that 30 FOW range. Try your best to bring them up as slowly as possible. The golden rule is dont fish deeper than 25ft. This leaves a little bit of grace room as there is no set depth where the pressure change becomes fatal.

Trout are the exception because they have the ability to expel gas from their bodies in order to equal the pressure as they are brought up. In some youtube videos of big lakers being caught in ontario, they get them to the hole and you can actually see them expelling the gas under the ice. So that is why you see people talk about catching trout at spray over 100ft deep.

Cause knowledge is power......