PDA

View Full Version : Rain Gear for Fly-In Fishing Trip

fishingnut
01-08-2014, 02:04 PM
I know it is early but I figured I better start looking at some new rain gear for a fly in I have in June. I was hoping to get some feed back from some AO members on good quality rain gear. I have a Helly Hansen set, but they are 12 years old and are starting to show their years of wear. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

fish gunner
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
New helly hanson rain gear . I got the new storm tech helly jacket at the villauge for 20 $ yay .

Norman
01-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Check this site out, I've ordered from them and their rain gear is some of the best I've ever worn, and with a good price too, it's light and breathable. http://froggtoggsraingear.com The free shipping is only for the states though, I paid 15 dollars shipping for camo rain pants and jacket.

Big Bull
01-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Lucky you! Where are you going?

Lund rebel
01-08-2014, 02:45 PM
I bought bare gortex suit from fishin hole wasn't cheap but when we were out fishing it rained the whole trip everyone was cold and soaked except me paid for its self in one trip. What I like about it was that it fit loose in the shoulders and made for easy casting. But I ended up wearing my waders on my last trip was like 5 degrees and rain stayed dry.

wellpastcold
01-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Basspro 100 mph rainwear is the best I have ever used. Goretex so it breathes. Comfortable and they sell a fleece liner for the jacket for spring/ fall use. Good stuff.

fishingnut
01-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Lucky you! Where are you going?

Me and 3 other guys are headed to Black Bear Island Lodge in northern Saskatchewan. Heard it is supposed to be a great time. Hope to have a great story and some awesome pictures to share once I get back.

fishingnut
01-09-2014, 07:29 AM
Check this site out, I've ordered from them and their rain gear is some of the best I've ever worn, and with a good price too, it's light and breathable. http://froggtoggsraingear.com The free shipping is only for the states though, I paid 15 dollars shipping for camo rain pants and jacket.

If you don't mind me asking but how long have you worern the gear in the rain for? Meaning how many hours at a time? I am looking for something that will let me stay dry for most of a day. It is a really good price and i would be interested as it is easy to store by the looks of it.

EZM
01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Helly Hansen ........ best gear on the planet ...... if you have been happy with your gear for the last 12 years, and it fits well, get another set and enjoy another 12 years !!!!!!

Walleyedude
01-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Buy a good quality Goretex rain suit once and be done with it. You will never regret it and you'll be amazed at how much use you'll get out of it year round.

There are lots of options - Shimano Dryfender, Simms, Frabil, BassPro 100mph, Cabelas Guidewear, etc...

Take a look at a few of them, try them on and decide which one you like best, then swallow hard, hand over your credit card, and don't look back.

My uncle and his friends have been going to Black Bear Island since the 60s, it's an amazing destination, you're in for an awesome trip.

Speckle55
01-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Wetskins by World Famous .. I camp in the snow quite often at Maligne and they work great.. I get a size bigger than normal for the extra layer of clothes
David:)
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/fishing-apparel/men-s-jackets-rainsuits/comfort-zone-suit/prod134522.html

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/001_zpsf4640f7e.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Speckle55/media/001_zpsf4640f7e.jpg.html)

Norman
01-09-2014, 10:13 AM
If you don't mind me asking but how long have you worern the gear in the rain for? Meaning how many hours at a time? I am looking for something that will let me stay dry for most of a day. It is a really good price and i would be interested as it is easy to store by the looks of it.

I've worn them in downpours before, they are 100% waterproof and windproof. Longest I've gone is about 6 hours until I made it out of the rain, but it wouldn't be an issue to go all day if you chose to do that. It's very easy to store it won't take much room in your pack pack at all, it's meant as the outer shell over layers so it's very light.

DiscoTime
01-12-2014, 11:47 PM
I worked and guided at a lodge in MB for several years, started with the Wetskins suit my first summer, luckily was a super dry year. Been using Cabelas Guidewear Goretex ever since. I'm not a hard core Cabelas guy, just stick to what has proven to work for me.

Spent two summers in that Guidewear suit, just rained and rained all summer. Always dry, even in crazy all day downpours. During a crazy storm I was actually walking boats from our dock to the beach chest deep in the lake and was very surprised at how long it took for the water to actually get inside.
I would suggest keeping up with maintenance on Goretex suits, as after 8 yrs of heavy use it started to absorb water on the outside, still dry inside, instead of rain beading up on the outside.

Have seen almost every brand of rain gear over the years, especailly the Frogg Toggs. Yes it is very lightweight and seems to work well in light to medium rains for a few hours at a time, but I wouldn't hesitate to spend double the money or more on Goretex or equivalent rain gear. Usually when the rain got bad most guests just went in and sat by the fire. I had to be outside in the rain all day.

My advice: If you are a hard core fisherman that doesn't want to let rain end your day on the water, spend the money on some quality gear. You wont regret it.

Good Luck!

Disco