PDA

View Full Version : Bluetipz tip up alert

TylerThomson
01-08-2014, 04:20 PM
I just got two of these today in the mail going to head out tomorrow to try them out. They work great in my house lol.

http://deepfreezefishing.com/bluetipz/

I think I paid about 80 bucks for two shipped to Canada. Love me some gadgets.

GTZ
01-08-2014, 05:29 PM
O M G, you gotta let us know how it works! So cool

TylerThomson
01-08-2014, 05:36 PM
that's pretty much my response when I stumbled across them. They are supposed to be tested out to 200 yards so plenty of range for what our regulations allow as far as d distance from a tip up. If anyone ifs interested be sure to research if your phone is capable of Bluetooth low energy. You can download the app and turn on your Bluetooth before you open it to test if your phone is compatible. what I like is it doesn't require cell service.

ssyd
01-08-2014, 05:56 PM
I pay 99 cents for a bell that I clip to the flag on my tip ups.

TROLLER
01-08-2014, 06:02 PM
I pay 99 cents for a bell that I clip to the flag on my tip ups.

I picked some up in the states this past summer 2 for a buck at a dollar store.

Kyle
01-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Very cool! Let us know how it works

wellpastcold
01-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Interesting. I will watch for your report on how you like them. Can never have too many gadgets.

Bassett
01-08-2014, 08:40 PM
very cool but for 40$+shipping ill just stick my head out of my tent and look haha

jamieg
01-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Half of me thinks that is really awesome, the other half thinks its another ringer going off on my phone LOL

reminds me of a contraption my buddys dad made with micro switches and walkie talkies back in the day. This of coarse would be a lot less bulky!!

Brandonkop
01-09-2014, 12:49 AM
I think I still like glancing over my shoulder to see a flag standing. Nothing gets the heart racing like the sight of an orange square bobbing in the wind!

waterninja
01-09-2014, 03:19 AM
what next? not saying they won't work, but i'll stick to my bells. one of the sweetest sounds you can hear on the ice or river bank.

wonder what happens when a lot of anglers all have them turned on? when one guy gets a hit does everyones phone ring?

pretty soon you'll be able to fish your favourite lake from the comfort of your living room.

Geezle
01-09-2014, 08:40 AM
that's pretty much my response when I stumbled across them. They are supposed to be tested out to 200 yards so plenty of range for what our regulations allow as far as d distance from a tip up. If anyone ifs interested be sure to research if your phone is capable of Bluetooth low energy. You can download the app and turn on your Bluetooth before you open it to test if your phone is compatible. what I like is it doesn't require cell service.

Is Bluetooth low energy different from regular Bluetooth aside from using less power?

Most Bluetooth devices only have about a 30' range...200 yards seems incredible!

TylerThomson
01-09-2014, 08:53 PM
In no particular order I'll try to answer the questions.

IMO bells suck. not loud enough on a windy day and won't jolly me awake off I doze off. If that's your thing and it works for you the have at it.

BLE is a new standard for Bluetooth with increased range and low power consumption totally different than regular Bluetooth. Afaik android 4.3 and above have it and iPhone 4s and above but don't quote me.

As far as other people's devices setting your phone off there is two options in the app. scan for all devices. or scan for my devices. The latter only goes off for devices registered on your phone.

Do they work you bet they do. I didn't manage to catch a fish today but my buddy had a good laugh setting my flag off when he went out to the truck.

I wouldn't try to use them on a windlass tipup as they need to be pretty close to vertical to work. I Found it best to put them low on the flag as well so they didn't pull the flag over but nothing will light a fire under your butt like sitting in dead silence and having a fog horn sound go off. I was outside so fast and my buddy was laughing his butt off.

As far as the cost goes it doesn't bother me I've spent more than that on dumber crap. lol.

wags
01-09-2014, 09:03 PM

Do they work you bet they do. I didn't manage to catch a fish today but my buddy had a good laugh setting my flag off when he went out to the truck.

I wouldn't try to use them on a windlass tipup as they need to be pretty close to vertical to work. I Found it best to put them low on the flag as well so they didn't pull the flag over but nothing will light a fire under your butt like sitting in dead silence and having a fog horn sound go off. I was outside so fast and my buddy was laughing his butt off.

Picturing this in my head, and yeah, that's funny stuff lol

Cheers

stormy
01-10-2014, 06:18 AM
how long did shipping take?

Badback
01-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Thanks for posting about it and the update Tyler...I'm a gadget fan also...

TylerThomson
01-10-2014, 10:19 AM
shipping was about 3 weeks or so but I ordered during the holidays not sure that made a difference or not. Also I had a problem with setting them up and emailed the developer at 8pm and he replied back in under an hour. Pretty impressive customer service. We are going out again this afternoon I will be trying them out again.

klow
01-10-2014, 11:58 AM
I use those cheap dollar store magnetic window alarms. They are loud too. I tie a piece of line to the magnet and the flag. When they pull apart, off goes the alarm.

Airdrie
01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
What an interesting discussion. Haven't used many tip ups in the past but might have to try some this year!

Krush
01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
X2 for the door alarms. Super cheap and super loud. Way better than a bell.

HuyFishin
01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
pretty wicked idea!
pretty pricey as well

ORV
01-10-2014, 02:37 PM
use that one on my tip up

has lights & and or very load alarm. works great.
I just used velcro to hold it on to my tip up.

batterys last a long time too..........hmmmnnnn.
may be a lack of catching fish there.lol

orv.

TylerThomson
01-10-2014, 06:42 PM
those door alarms are a good idea for sure. lake fishing was slow again today I would gladly pay top turn it on lol. I don't use tipups for Lakers but I did think about it though haha. Bites been slow for sure the last couple days saw a ton of them on the camera today but they weren't interested in much. Oh well it happens.

I'm planning on heading out again on Sunday for pike not sure where yet.

I was playing with the app though and it's got a few cool features like a fish log and a log of how many times each tip up went off during the day and at what time.

I don't think they are really that pricey though compared to a lit of my other gear. heck they are less than a night out with my wife and ill use them for more than 3 hours unlike dinner haha.

Thanks for checking in I can't wait to put them through their paces.

bobalong
01-10-2014, 10:54 PM
I just got two of these today in the mail going to head out tomorrow to try them out. They work great in my house lol.

http://deepfreezefishing.com/bluetipz/

I think I paid about 80 bucks for two shipped to Canada. Love me some gadgets.

If you are a gadget guy and a lake trout fisherman try one of these. Made from a BBQ rotisserie (made by a buddy a few years ago). Works well for walleye as well
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/ICEFISHING%202008/th_MVI_2327.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/ICEFISHING%202008/MVI_2327.mp4)

TylerThomson
01-11-2014, 06:55 AM
haha to cool that's pretty genius right there.

rafhone
01-11-2014, 05:15 PM
those door alarms are a good idea for sure. lake fishing was slow again today I would gladly pay top turn it on lol. I don't use tipups for Lakers but I did think about it though haha.

these guys sure did good with tip ups for lakers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5moBhtv8Yc

TylerThomson
01-11-2014, 05:40 PM
wow maybe I will have to set one up next time. what a monster