PDA

View Full Version : Jiffy auger, throttle sticking

kingshow
01-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Just wondering what type of lube to use on the throttle cable and lever before heading out in cold weather. I have had this problem a few times when it gets below -20 . You squeeze the throttle and it's stuck in full after you drill the hole.
Thanks

coors04
01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm not much help but I would say maybe WD40 because it will lube and should keep water away which is my guess to why its giving you a problem. I'm sure another member will have a better answer for you but I thought I would take a stab at it.

The Reel Deal
01-08-2014, 09:13 PM
WD40
unless your cable is kinked - time for a new one

tight line
01-08-2014, 09:23 PM
You might just have water in it. Keep it somewhere warm for a night or two and it should be good. Mine does the same thing.. Layed it on its side in flood water. Dirtbike cable lube would fix er up as well!

FishHunterPro
01-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Maybe try alittle lock icer on her

kingshow
01-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys, there was water in there for sure. As it was in a tobagon behind my snow machine crossing the lake with over a foot of flood water, I'm going to bring the head in the house and then lube her up tomorrow before the weekend!

Kokanee9
01-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Some kind of graphite based lube is usually used for cables. Straight, dry graphite powder and also in an alchohol based spray are both available.

If you use an oil or grease lube, it will get sticky in cold weather, worsening the problem that you are trying to get rid of.

Slvdout
01-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Go into the Harley Davidson dealership, ask at the parts desk for a bottle of Harley lube for cables. It's in a squeeze tube with a long needle attached specifically for this...It'll work wonders.

sparky660
01-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Go into the Harley Davidson dealership, ask at the parts desk for a bottle of Harley lube for cables. It's in a squeeze tube with a long needle attached specifically for this...It'll work wonders.

How is the stuff when it's -25?

The Reel Deal
01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
dry graphite spray is the bomb

Slvdout
01-10-2014, 06:45 AM
How is the stuff when it's -25?

It's a very light viscosity oil.

Shmag
01-10-2014, 07:10 AM
I had the same problem with my Jiffy...if you own guns you might all ready have the product you need.

Get a spray can of G 96, gun cleaner/lube. I use it on all my guns, auger and even some reels. I bought mine at WSS, in the gun maintenance area, amazing stuff. Its a cleaner and corrosion protectant, and has freeze protection past -50. I spray all moving parts and springs around my carb at the start of ice fishing every year and it lasts the whole winter, and haven't had a problem since...

Michael_Brown
01-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Take a piece of duct tape and cover the Jiffy sticker.
Then get a black felt marker and write Normark on the tape.

Should solve most of the problems.

:budo:

Bigdad013
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Take a piece of duct tape and cover the Jiffy sticker.
Then get a black felt marker and write Normark on the tape.

Should solve most of the problems.

:budo:

At least it will protect it from being stolen :sHa_sarcasticlol:

sparky660
01-10-2014, 07:48 PM
It's a very light viscosity oil.

Cool, that's good to know, thanks.

Legend Boats
02-04-2014, 04:51 PM
I would try to stay away from WD-40. It’s still a water base lubricant that will freeze. From the previous comments, try to stay with a water repellant lube. Fluid film is a great choice that will protect the cable and also works on many other applications. You can get this at your local Canadian Tire/Wal-Mart.

Henry Nguyen
Legend Boats

fish gunner
02-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Get carpetbender pencil split length wise with a knife. Get a rass file and file the graphite you got from the pencil into a small zip lock get a good pile of graphite filings . Tip bag to pit filings in one corner . Cut tinyest corner possible off opposite side. Slip end of cable houseing into the cut corner .use duct tape to SEAL bag to end of cable housing. You can now gently pressurize the bag to carry filings down cable housing ,presto dry lube for cables at any temp.hope that helps.

Mike_W
02-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Actually kind of a funny story in relation to a sticking trigger.
I was drilling a hole a couple weekends ago with my ion I left the battery out in -20 and it would drill but for like three seconds stop for three and repeat well I was drilling a second hole and watching my other rod and got a bite so I stopped drilling and made a quick move towards the rod and slipped on the ice as I sat beside the auger (still in the half drilled hole) the auger turned on for its three second drilling sequence and the handle came around and hit me right in the jaw. The trigger had gotten water on it and stuck on when I thought it stopped was only the periodic delay from a frozen battery.

Had a headache all night, but was good for a laugh ...only if I had the drift on record!!

Anyway to the OP warm garage and a shot of WD-40