PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up our lakes

Don Andersen
01-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Folks,

This idea is being proposed for some lakes in BC.
Would it work here?

Don

Starting today, if you decide to go fishing at Lafarge Lake, you should note the following changes so you don't end up getting fined for littering. I hope this works so we can implement it province-wide.

C&Ped...

Reduced: 61% of original size [ 628 x 418 ] - Click to view full image

Too often, when we go fishing, our fishing lures, hooks, weights, line, floats and other so-called terminal tackle become tangled to underwater structures. Occasionally we are lucky enough to retrieve it, but more often than not, they are lost when the line is broken off.

Instantly, these precious fishing commodities become aquatic garbage. They sit idly in the water until being retrieved by someone. Occasionally, some wildlife become unfortunate victims of these unclaimed items. Water fowls and birds of prey can be tangled by fishing line. Animals can be hooked by fishing lures, flies, baited hooks when swimming close to the bottom or nearby structures. It is a growing environmental problem with no immediate solutions.

Friends of Lafarge Lake, a citizen group formed among communities around Lafarge Lake, is hoping to make a difference. Lafarge Lake is an urban lake in Coquitlam. It is enjoyed by walkers, nature lovers and of course recreational fishermen. Because it is an urban fishery, higher fishing pressure also sees more terminal tackle lost in the lake and along its shoreline. On April 1st 2013, Friends of Lafarge Lake is launching a pilot program called "Terminal Tackle Disposal Report", which aims to reduce the amount of fishing waste.

Working closely with the local conservation offices, Friends of Lafarge Lake have developed a reporting system for anglers. Here is how it works. In the next six months during the catchable rainbow trout stocking period, anglers who wish to fish Lafarge Lake are required to print out this report form. When an angler loses his or her terminal tackle, he or she is required to complete the form by describing the lost terminal tackle and its location. The form can be submitted in the drop box located on the fishing pier at the south end of the lake.

Click here to download report form

Forms will be collected weekly. Volunteer divers and kayakers, will follow the directions given in the reports, to retrieve each terminal tackle on weekends. Once collected, identified and matched, anglers are contacted so they can claim their lost items.

To ensure high compliance, volunteers from Friends of Lafarge Lake will be patrolling the lake regularly with video cameras. They will document anglers' tackle and collect evidence when terminal tackle are lost. All evidence will be handed to the authority so appropriate littering charges can be filed and fines are given to offending anglers.

Friends of Lafarge Lake hopes to succeed in this pilot project so a province-wide program can be implemented. Such program does not only reduce the amount of unnecessary waste in our environment, but also gives anglers a chance to reunite with their precious fishing tackle.

For more information on the background of this pilot project, please visit Friends of Lafarge Lake's website at www.friendsoflafargelake.com.

Please click the Friends site above after you cool down!

huntin'fool
01-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Is it April already!?

In all seriousness, I wonder how they quantified this as a problem...I fish more than the regular guy and can't remember the last time I lost any tackle. I wonder why these people are losing so much ?

Oh ya, and the link won't work for me...I was half expecting onion news...

lannie
01-09-2014, 08:19 AM
April fools in January- Dementia is starting to show up.

Don Andersen
01-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Lannie,

Seems like this site gets a bent outta shape every now and then. Figured some humour might make the long days of January a little more tolerable.

While the idea is not workable, it does showcase an ongoing issue if the posts seen here are true about junk on the lakes.

Don

pipco
01-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Folks,

gives anglers a chance to reunite with their precious fishing tackle.

Don,
I can think of some extremely nasty ways I'd like to see any angler that leaves old chunks of mono with rusted treble hooks or pickerel rigs lying around be "reunited" with their tackle. It would not be pretty. ;)

stan

lannie
01-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Lannie,

Seems like this site gets a bent outta shape every now and then. Figured some humour might make the long days of January a little more tolerable.

While the idea is not workable, it does showcase an ongoing issue if the posts seen here are true about junk on the lakes.

Don

True, It does get bent out of shape. Thanks for the humor.

Okotokian
01-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Hey, it's B.C.... and "Friends of..." anything are a group of easily upset folks with limited knowledge.

- Location descriptions will be accurate to aproximately 300 yards. Plenty accurate to find a Mepps spinner in the mud and weeds.

-It will be obvious who's hook it is once it is aged by an expert and matched to the description supplied by the angler. All this effort and expense will be well worth the smile on the face of the angler when his $2 lure is returned to him.

-It is to be hoped that our rival eco-gang, "Friends of the Forest" don't find out how much paper is being consumed filing angler reports for every lost lure or sinker. Oh yes, and separate reports must be filed for the lure, the weight, the line, and any other component.

I would have thought this a hoax, but it is B.C. .....

Redfrog
01-09-2014, 11:05 AM
I think it is an awesome idea.:sHa_shakeshout:

Anyone who is familiar with this pond would understand why.

Don Andersen
01-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I think it is an awesome idea.:sHa_shakeshout:

Anyone who is familiar with this pond would understand why.

Redfrog,

Are you equating AO with a pond and suggesting that a clean up committee is needed + fines imposed.

How lefty of you!!

Don

Redfrog
01-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Sorry Don, I would never suggest such a thing.
I was refering ot the Lafarge pond.
Anyone who has been there would understand the issues. there are fishermen and then there are fishers.:thinking-006:

buckman
01-09-2014, 12:49 PM
If you are caught littering in or around any water body in England and parts of Europe you can be fined and or banned from that body of water.

Bear in mind most fisheries there are private and strictly controlled by the owners/members.

I often come home with a bag of discarded junk left behind by slob fishermen.,