PDA

View Full Version : Big Pike on Tip-Ups

iliketrout
01-09-2014, 09:40 AM
Open question to everyone: If you're targeting big pike on a tip-up, do you fish a bait dead on the bottom or slightly off bottom with a nose-down "pitch"?

I've never really done well with the bait lying on bottom but after a fellow member proved that it could be done with excellent results, I think I am going to give it another serious try.

Anyways, interested to hear how others target big pike through the ice.

Thanks!

Speckle55
01-09-2014, 10:01 AM
I fish off the bottom too but everything is horizontal

and will have a open spool/spool sometimes if hand lining and let them run then setting hook when they go again

David:)

EZM
01-09-2014, 10:05 AM
I like using a in-line sliding egg sinker, a couple beads, then a double snelled hook set up to have bait sit just off the bottom and slightly float nose down.

Use fluorocarbon leader material for improved invisibility.

cdkeim
01-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Personally, I fish my dead bait about 8-12 inches off bottom as I want it to be visible for a passing pike to see. But I see lots of posts from other knowledgeable guys that fish high in the water column or right on bottom with good success as well. I think our past experiences and successes dictate in our own heads what works best for ourselves.

Jack&7
01-09-2014, 10:18 AM
I have had success both ways...but I think laying a big bait right on the bottom may be the way to go because it allows you to use a different type of rig which will not get in the way while Mr. Pikey is biting.

I think a typical 'quick-strike rig' that is hanging suspended has the potential to spook the fish or at least make him hesitant to strike due to all the excess hardware.

I know this might sound a little confusing, but I will show you what I mean next time we go out...

huntsfurfish
01-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Let the fish tell you what they like! Try Horizontal, nose down and nose up! On bottom, just off bottom and a couple feet up.:)

dodgeboy1979
01-09-2014, 10:29 AM
i try different presentations too, it seems every lake is different. If you are fishing with a group of people have each tip up set different and see which one starts producing more.

EZM
01-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Let the fish tell you what they like! Try Horizontal, nose down and nose up! On bottom, just off bottom and a couple feet up.:)

For sure - a camera is the world best invention for ice fishing.

Changing it up and experimenting is the key after a few eye ball rejections from pike.

My "standard" set up is, however, nose pitched down slightly, just barely off bottom. Then I bounce the egg sinker to stir it up every once in a while - it makes the herring look like it's feeding and I've had pike scream into the screen and t-bone the herring like a freight train after being picky all day after a few bounces off the bottom. rigged up head first.

Other times I hook the minnow or herring "tail first" and let it sit so it's floating horizontal, slightly nose up, upside down like a dead bait.

I also agree that the added hardware of a quick strike, or wire leaders, leads to higher probability of rejections.

"Once you go fluorocarbon leader ........ you won't go back" - that really doesn't have a great ring to it - but it's the truth.

I also hate sugar in my coffee ..... once you reject sugar in your coffee - you won't go back ..........

kevinhits
01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
I usually try both presentations and know they both work in certain circumstances....Ice fishing usually 6-12" off the bottom...and summer shore fishing...no choice really than sitting on bottom...Like you mentioned...Last weekend, a fellow AO member caught some nice pike by laying on the bottom......

kevinhits
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
I also hate sugar in my coffee ..... once you reject sugar in your coffee - you won't go back ..........

Isn't that the truth....I stopped putting sugar in my coffee years ago and have not looked back....LOL

Jack&7
01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Please keep in mind that in these pics, the toonie is added to show scale, and the edge of the table represents lake bottom. My "bait" would be something around a 10" mackerel or herring...or something similar. The hooks are positioned to show how they are buried into the bait.

The first pic shows my typical homemade quick-strike rig. 2/0 treble hooks crimped on 45 lb leader wire. Suspended 8"-12" off bottom. See how all the hardware can potentially get in the way and maybe spook the fish?

The second pic shows my 'dead bait on the bottom' rig. I am actually not sure what size hooks these are as they cam with a large spoon I had purchased. I am still using the 45 lb black leader material but take notice of a few things: the treble is crimped permanently, but the J-hook is allowed to slide along the leader. This allows you to use it on different sized baits but also allows you to use it with a suspended bait and position the bait in a 'head down' position by changing the balance point. The leader is also approx. 2 feet in length. If you place a small rubber core weight on your main line where it will attach to the swivel at the end of the leader, the whole entire length will lay down on the bottom...and away from the head of the bait (hence, not getting in the way).

Hopefully this illustrates what I meant and clarifies my other post. And maybe using flouro would improve things even more...

I would also like to add that I personally have greater success by jigging over dead baits on a tip-up anyway.

kevinhits
01-09-2014, 10:51 AM
For sure - a camera is the world best invention for ice fishing.

Changing it up and experimenting is the key after a few eye ball rejections from pike.

My "standard" set up is, however, nose pitched down slightly, just barely off bottom. Then I bounce the egg sinker to stir it up every once in a while - it makes the herring look like it's feeding and I've had pike scream into the screen and t-bone the herring like a freight train after being picky all day after a few bounces off the bottom. rigged up head first.

Other times I hook the minnow or herring "tail first" and let it sit so it's floating horizontal, slightly nose up, upside down like a dead bait.

I also agree that the added hardware of a quick strike, or wire leaders, leads to higher probability of rejections.

"Once you go fluorocarbon leader ........ you won't go back" - that really doesn't have a great ring to it - but it's the truth.

Please keep in mind that in these pics, the toonie is added to show scale, and the edge of the table represents lake bottom. My "bait" would be something around a 10" mackerel or herring...or something similar. The hooks are positioned to show how they are buried into the bait.

The first pic shows my typical homemade quick-strike rig. 2/0 treble hooks crimped on 45 lb leader wire. Suspended 8"-12" off bottom. See how all the hardware can potentially get in the way and maybe spook the fish?

The second pic shows my 'dead bait on the bottom' rig. I am actually not sure what size hooks these are as they cam with a large spoon I had purchased. I am still using the 45 lb black leader material but take notice of a few things: the treble is crimped permanently, but the J-hook is allowed to slide along the leader. This allows you to use it on different sized baits but also allows you to use it with a suspended bait and position the bait in a 'head down' position by changing the balance point. The leader is also approx. 2 feet in length. If you place a small rubber core weight on your main line where it will attach to the swivel at the end of the leader, the whole entire length will lay down on the bottom...and away from the head of the bait (hence, not getting in the way).

Hopefully this illustrates what I meant and clarifies my other post. And maybe using flouro would improve things even more...

I would also like to add that I personally have greater success by jigging over dead baits on a tip-up anyway.

Your quite an ARTIST there Buddy:sHa_sarcasticlol:

iliketrout
01-09-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I agree that switching it up on slower days is another key to success. I was just curious how many guys tend to put it on bottom and leave it.

Jack&7 I love the drawings! I have switched to a quick strike rig like shown on your second picture, but I have been experimenting with adding a blade and beads in between the hooks as well. Some days it works well, some days not so much.

EZM - what size Fluoro are you running? Even with 50lb we have had break offs, including the biggest fish of the year so far on a friends line.

Oh yeah forget the sugar...it's all about the Bailey's in the coffee :sHa_shakeshout:

Jack&7
01-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all the tips guys. I agree that switching it up on slower days is another key to success. I was just curious how many guys tend to put it on bottom and leave it.

Jack&7 I love the drawings! I have switched to a quick strike rig like shown on your second picture, but I have been experimenting with adding a blade and beads in between the hooks as well. Some days it works well, some days not so much.

EZM - what size Fluoro are you running? Even with 50lb we have had break offs, including the biggest fish of the year so far on a friends line.

Oh yeah forget the sugar...it's all about the Bailey's in the coffee :sHa_shakeshout:

Yeah...I considered adding beads and blades to add some flash. But then thought better of it. If the bait is just hanging there or laying on the bottom, you won't get much flash. Of course this is different if you are running a windlass (which I think you do?).

As for the flouro, I am just not convinced. I think even with some big pike teeth fraying the line, you will get a break-off as you have witnessed. I find the 45 lb wire strand leader can take a licking and keep on ticking. And once it does get beat up, just a quick refresh with new stuff is easy...and cheaper.

kevinhits
01-09-2014, 11:09 AM
We should be out fishing today and not sitting on the forum:scared0015:

Jack&7
01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
ain't that the truth.

kevinhits
01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
ain't that the truth.

Nice weather for awhile....Where we going next..LOL

Hunter Trav
01-09-2014, 11:18 AM
As for the flouro, I am just not convinced. I think even with some big pike teeth fraying the line, you will get a break-off as you have witnessed. I find the 45 lb wire strand leader can take a licking and keep on ticking. And once it does get beat up, just a quick refresh with new stuff is easy...and cheaper.

Thats why you need to use the uber heavy stuff, I use 100lb floro leader material for my quick strike rigs, and have never been bit or broke off. I make mine like your first picture, but I think I might try some like your second picture using the floro. I am a firm believer in it and I think you just showed me a way to make it even better, so thanks for that...:D

iliketrout
01-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Living vicariously through texts from Badger as we speak...that's the best I can do mid-week...

Jack&7
01-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Thats why you need to use the uber heavy stuff, I use 100lb floro leader material for my quick strike rigs, and have never been bit or broke off. I make mine like your first picture, but I think I might try some like your second picture using the floro. I am a firm believer in it and I think you just showed me a way to make it even better, so thanks for that...:D

You're welcome....I just want a 10% commission.:scared0018:

Or else photoshop my head onto your body in any pic you take while holding a monster. haha

MoFugger21
01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
We make all our quick-strike rigs like Jack&7's second picture, only we use another treble for the sliding back hook. And we just recently started using 80lb fluoro leader material for our rigs. Haven't really noticed a difference between it and the coated wire we were using prior years as far as bite frequency, but it's been a slow start to the year for everyone we've been fishing with, so who knows.

As far a bottom or not, I've never had good luck laying a bait down on the bottom. The go to set up is 12"-18" off the bottom, and it'll get raised up further if the bite is slow.

The Fisherman Guy
01-09-2014, 01:28 PM
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/thefishermanguy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2301a8df.jpg

Hunter Trav
01-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I sure hope your bringing a bigger TV than that on Sunday, I hate having to strain my eyes to see the screen...:lol:

As far as the 10% commission, cheque will be in the mail...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Duster
01-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Depends on the day and the depth big guy. Lol. I caught my 49.5 incher in 4 fow. About 2 feet under the ice.

Speckle55
01-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Mine I caught 4 fow and 2 feet down 47.5 inches and 26.5 inch girth with a double treble with 30# wire leader on 15# Mono-line and a smelt ...she came in at 32#5oz

not shy just came in and took it and went away then stopped and started to go again and I set hook about 1 hour later up a 10" hand auger hole

I like March as the oxygen is coming back into lakes and per spawn Pike are hunting like the water wolves they are .. coming up on the shelf's and chasing those big Lake Whitefish to put the final touches on the eggs and get ready for the spawn

as all ways this is

Food for Thought

David :)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/user20496_pic2514_1291392884_zpsf37bc62c.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Speckle55/media/2013-14/user20496_pic2514_1291392884_zpsf37bc62c.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/2013-14/user20496_pic3727_1319211651_zps94a956d5.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Speckle55/media/2013-14/user20496_pic3727_1319211651_zps94a956d5.jpg.html)

The Reel Deal
01-09-2014, 05:54 PM
I crimp my own leaders about 20" long with a single hook with the barb removed and smoothed for easy removal when hooked deep.
Dead bait straight on bottom. If weedy, carefully layed on top of the weeds.
I find pike lazy in winter, oxygen is low. Just cruising around pickin up easy meals, they don't want to exert anymore energy than req.
I find when I'm jigging they come but don't care to strike, but at least they're now close to my bait :sHa_shakeshout:
Lunar phase is key, you won't catch me jigging during peak times

Kokanee9
01-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Another vote for off the bottom. Usually between 4" to 18".

I just started making my own leaders using 80lb. flouro. leader material. So far so good.

EZM
01-09-2014, 09:05 PM

Oh yeah forget the sugar...it's all about the Bailey's in the coffee
:sHa_shakeshout:

Yes on the Baileys !!!!!

For winter - I run a 50lb fluorocarbon LEADER material - NOT fluorocarbon line.

This stuff comes in a 25 yard roll and runs about $40. (yes, this is no typo, more than $1 per yard).

The key word is LEADER not regular line.This is not the same stuff at all.

I use a slightly heavier fluorocarbon leader in the summer and will land 500-600 Pike ranging from hammer handles to many 15+ lb pike with ZERO issues, ZERO break offs and VERY FEW knicks ........... ON ONE LEADER!

This stuff is Chuck Norris tough.

Many people make this mistake - I cannot fathom a fluorocarbon leader breaking or being bitten off - never seen it - never heard of it on Pike.

I guess there are two ways this could have happened to your buddy - a fluke (which can happen I guess) OR he isn't using leader material.

here's a link to the good stuff ..........

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/fluorocarbon/prospec-100-fluorocarbon-leader

burbotman
01-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Yes on the Baileys !!!!!

For winter - I run a 50lb fluorocarbon LEADER material - NOT fluorocarbon line.

This stuff comes in a 25 yard roll and runs about $40. (yes, this is no typo, more than $1 per yard).

The key word is LEADER not regular line.This is not the same stuff at all.

I use a slightly heavier fluorocarbon leader in the summer and will land 500-600 Pike ranging from hammer handles to many 15+ lb pike with ZERO issues, ZERO break offs and VERY FEW knicks ........... ON ONE LEADER!

This stuff is Chuck Norris tough.

Many people make this mistake - I cannot fathom a fluorocarbon leader breaking or being bitten off - never seen it - never heard of it on Pike.

I guess there are two ways this could have happened to your buddy - a fluke (which can happen I guess) OR he isn't using leader material.

here's a link to the good stuff ..........

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/fluorocarbon/prospec-100-fluorocarbon-leader

x 2 I have been using the 50lb flouro leader material for 2 years and am impressed. Pricey but worth it

Dr.D
01-09-2014, 09:34 PM
All I will say is on the bottom and 80 pound steel leaders

EZM
01-09-2014, 09:55 PM
All I will say is on the bottom and 80 pound steel leaders

To each his own. There is nothing wrong with using steel leaders invented 200 years ago with few significant technological improvements over the last century. :) It does work, and it has been proven.

Propeller planes will get you there too .......

BUT ...... There may be an opportunity to try new technology that will provide some significant advantages .....

1) More supple and flexible
2) superior kink resistance
3) superior dynamic break strength (mass/dia)
4) superior static break strength (mass/dia)
5) lower stretch
6) superior abrasion resistance
7) generally easier to tie/rig up etc...
8) less visible to fish - some would argue it lowers "rejection" rates
9) you can grab the leader with a thrashing fish without getting cut up
10) the fish is less likely to cut itself up when it "death rolls"

Give it a shot ............ 100% of the people I know, and I fish with, who have tried fluorocarbon leader prefer it. This might be 15-20 people.

Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

This material has also been proven to last and perform.

Dr.D
01-09-2014, 10:01 PM
Great points ezm maybe you can take me out some time and help me catch some big pike through the ice always looking for pointers

rielbowhunter
01-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Lol

TheCodGod
01-09-2014, 10:54 PM
We should be out fishing today and not sitting on the forum:scared0015:

X2

EZM
01-09-2014, 11:31 PM
Great points ezm maybe you can take me out some time and help me catch some big pike through the ice always looking for pointers

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=184404&highlight=tubs+minnows

I think you should try practicing using the pointy part of your hook to pierce your bait Before trying something like fluorocarbon ..........

Your response makes sense now ........

I was just trying to make a point with sincere advice based on experience to help others out ........

iliketrout
01-10-2014, 07:21 AM
Beauty mount David!

EZM - It's possible that he was using Fluoro and not Fluoro leader material. I will have to confirm with him. Yeah it does look expensive but may be worth a shot!

lromanchuk
01-10-2014, 09:23 AM

You don't need anymore help! I remember the beasts you've posted on this site.