PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Trout?

Scott N
01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
We're planning an ice fishing / camping trip this weekend, and I'm looking for a few different ideas on how to cook our catch. We're talking trout in the 15" length range. Does anyone bother to fillet fish about this size, or do you just gut them and them fry them up / BBQ them up? My usual method is to BBQ the whole trout in foil with some butter and lemon, but I'm hoping for some better ideas for some possibly fussy eater(s).

Soon2flypat
01-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I also bbq them with lemon. Something else I've tried is apple slices. That turned out really well.

Chisholm77
01-09-2014, 03:39 PM
I used to just gut and bbq the lakers from spray but have tried switching it up and filleting the last 2 times. On Xmas eve I made maple glazed lake trout which turned out awesome and this past Sunday I made a beer batter that turned out really well also.

Tater 1
01-09-2014, 03:47 PM
For on the BBQ salt pepper on a cedar plank. 5 min before done spread garlic butter over it . Little peace of heaven.

Scott N
01-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Some good ideas guys, keep 'em coming. If you don't fillet your trout, what method do you use to keep the bones to a minimum?

chop
01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
my wife wraps them in tin foil and puts garlic butter, onions and a lemon slice ,
then put them on the BBQ. don't no how long depends on the size of fish.

Huntingonthebrain
01-09-2014, 05:30 PM
I fillet all my trout and remove the row of bones down the center of the fillet. Then I toss them in 'fish crisp' bone free. Then I fry them in 1.5 " of oil in a cast iron skillet until crisp.

My kids are picky eaters and they come back for 3rds!

RavYak
01-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Some good ideas guys, keep 'em coming. If you don't fillet your trout, what method do you use to keep the bones to a minimum?

Learn how to eat around them and teach others how to do it.

Grab the tail lift up and peel the bottom half of meat off the bones, flip over and repeat. Should be very few bones if any that get left in the meat.

I always get a laugh at the people that don't know how to eat fish. Quite comical watching them pick bones out of their teeth.

As for how I cook trout, usually on the bbq whole with just a touch of salt and pepper. I don't ice fish so only do this in the summer but I like to cook them at a little lower setting and longer in order to dry them out a little bit as I find they aren't near as mushy. Squeeze a little lemon or lime on them and good to go.

brobinson
01-09-2014, 06:01 PM
I fillet all my trout and remove the row of bones down the center of the fillet. Then I toss them in 'fish crisp' bone free. Then I fry them in 1.5 " of oil in a cast iron skillet until crisp.

My kids are picky eaters and they come back for 3rds!

X2. Also when you fillet them you can either BBQ them like a small salmon filet, or put them on the BBQ laid on top on a piece of tinfoil on one side, with a tinfoil "bag" of wet wood chips with the majority of the bbqs heat under the wood chips. It basically smokes them as they cook. Mmmmm tasty.

fish gunner
01-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Gutted &gilled . Good layer of butter In a suitable pan , on a med high heat two tbl spoon of sliced almonds for a few minuets till butter and almonds darken turn down to a med heat slip in trout about 5min per side or till lifting taill removes spine from fillet. Im not a huge eater of fish but trout almondine is to die for. Hope that helps,happy tummy .

Northwinds
01-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Fillet and de bone as usual and skin,lightly brush canola oil on both sides.Take a bag of salt and vinegar chips and crunch them up.Drop fillets into chip bag and shake.Put into 1.5" of hot oil,cook till crunchy. Try different chips for a twist....

muskokagould
01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
we used to fry salmon breaded in crushed dill pickle chips, simple but delicious. never tried it with trout but probably will now. haha

learned it in tofino after a charter

muskokagould
01-09-2014, 09:17 PM
if its a brook trout, just enough butter to keep it from sticking to the pan. no salt, no pepper, nadda.

gf looked at me sideways first time but then she tried it and realized that's why brookies are my favorite. don't need a thing!

EZM
01-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Trout are easy to fillet boneless - even smaller ones.

Season up some fine flour and toss the fillets in there. I use Weatherford spice - but your favorite spice mix will do. My wife likes the lemon pepper and herb stuff.

I have also done Cajun and it's fantastic.

Heat up a little olive oil AND butter.

Brown on first side, flip, brown on second side and finish with lemon when removing off heat ...........