PDA

View Full Version : Loss Cross Hairs

Off in the Bushes
10-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I have a old Tasco scope on my Win 7MM Rem Mag and I am thinking that the cross hairs have come loss. Because I can not get it to group at all. (4" group a 100 yards) It does not seem to matter with hand loads or factory loads the results are always the same. Most of the shots where 3" high and 3" to the right then when adjusting the scope, only 4 clicks it pulled the bullet it over 4" to the left.
Is there a way of testing the scope for loss cross hairs with out removing it and getting another scope.
I even borrowed a lead sled to rule the shooter, and the results did not change.
If it is the scope what do suggest for a replacement, I would like to keep it under $400. Also is a 3-9 a little small for the rifle, due to the fact the the rifle can shoot 400 yards do you get a scope with a little more power. Then learn to shoot 400 yards. For me 400 yards would be paper only.

sullijr
10-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Any thing is possible,but Loose cross hairs doesn;t seem possible.I think it could be a parallax problem which can be checked by looking through the scope at a target or an object about 100 yds away and moving your head slightly from side to side and up and down,if the cross hairs seem to move you have a problem with the scope and it needs to be repaired (if it has a warranty)or replaced.

Scott N
10-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Probably the first thing to do is check and make sure that your rings and bases are all tight.

Really the only way to check to see if it is your scope or rifle is to

a) - put a different scope on your 7mm and see if your groups improve.

or

b) - put your scope on a different rifle that is a known shooter and see if your groups get worse.

If your scope is damaged, it's probably not worth the hassle to try and repair it. A few good scopes in your price range would include the Bushnell 3200 or 4200 line, or the Leupold VXII models.

As for magnification, I personally think that a 2X7 or 3X9 is the best choice for a hunting rifle. I think that 9X is more than enough magnification to shoot big game at 400 yards, if you are capable of making a long shot like that.

If you are target shooting, or for varminting, a 4X12 or 6X18 or so would likely be a better choice. Keep in mind that the higher power scopes have a smaller field of view, which might be a problem if you hunt the thick stuff and have close range shots from time to time.

gungirl
10-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I'd say your scope is done. Simmons scopes are notorious for that too. The crosshairs will visually "spin" in the scope.
Buy a new scope. Most Bushnells are in that price range.

Off in the Bushes
10-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Any thing is possible,but Loose cross hairs doesn;t seem possible.I think it could be a parallax problem which can be checked by looking through the scope at a target or an object about 100 yds away and moving your head slightly from side to side and up and down,if the cross hairs seem to move you have a problem with the scope and it needs to be repaired (if it has a warranty)or replaced.

I just tried that and things seemed to stay in place for me.

Off in the Bushes
10-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I have checked the rings and bases and they are tight.

lilsundance
10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Very possible. If you have access to a bore sighter set it up and look through the scope. Have someone tap the scope and see if the cross hairs move. My brother got a new tasco scope with his remington package and it was toast from the get go. Cross hairs moved all over the place.
if you don't have a bore sighter handy put a dot on a piece of paper a few feet in front of you. Put the cross hairs on it and have someone tap the scope. You will soon know if the cross hairs are moving.

munyee4321
10-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Well your first problem is... you have a tasco on your rifle lol..... sorry but in my opinion they are junk. Anywhos not trying to start anything. If your looking for a decent scope for under 400bucks look into the bushnell 3200 elites, or 4200 elites. Or better yet a Leupold vx II 3-9x40mm is going around the 380.00 mark a WSS. The 3200 elites start out at 215.00 and work their way up.

Off in the Bushes
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Very possible. If you have access to a bore sighter set it up and look through the scope. Have someone tap the scope and see if the cross hairs move. My brother got a new tasco scope with his remington package and it was toast from the get go. Cross hairs moved all over the place.
if you don't have a bore sighter handy put a dot on a piece of paper a few feet in front of you. Put the cross hairs on it and have someone tap the scope. You will soon know if the cross hairs are moving.

If you could physically see them move could you still hit paper at 100 yards?

lilsundance
10-01-2008, 12:00 PM
That will depend on how much they move. My brothers scope you could line up at 100yds and hit paper. after the first shot you couldn't. They moved that much. But if they are only moving the equivalent of a dozen clicks or so you would still hit paper. By using a bore sighter to check it you will be able to see any minute movement of the cross hairs when someone taps the scope. Whether that movement is only 1 inch at 100 yds or 12 inches at 100 yds you will see the crosshairs move.

Albertahog
10-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a old Tasco scope on my Win 7MM Rem Mag and I am thinking that the cross hairs have come loss. Because I can not get it to group at all. (4" group a 100 yards) It does not seem to matter with hand loads or factory loads the results are always the same. Most of the shots where 3" high and 3" to the right then when adjusting the scope, only 4 clicks it pulled the bullet it over 4" to the left.
Is there a way of testing the scope for loss cross hairs with out removing it and getting another scope.
I even borrowed a lead sled to rule the shooter, and the results did not change.
If it is the scope what do suggest for a replacement, I would like to keep it under $400. Also is a 3-9 a little small for the rifle, due to the fact the the rifle can shoot 400 yards do you get a scope with a little more power. Then learn to shoot 400 yards. For me 400 yards would be paper only. Yep i have to agree your tasco is old and on a 7mm time to move on and put that tasco to rest like someone has already said Bushnell elite 3200 etc is a good start.Good luck hope it all works out

Simmons scopes are notorious for that too. The crosshairs will visually "spin" in the scope.
First time i have ever heard that.

Pioneer2
10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Seen the crosshairs fall out of a new Simmons halfway through the first 10shells in a .270Win Cheap variables you get what you pay for........Harold * you can get away with a cheap fiXed powdered scope for a while depending what gun it's on recoil level wise.

Albertahog
10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Seen the crosshairs fall out of a new Simmons halfway through the first 10shells in a .270Win Cheap variables you get what you pay for........Harold * you can get away with a cheap fiXed powdered scope for a while depending what gun it's on recoil level wise.I would love to see "HOW"cross hairs would actually fall out of a scope :confused:Just wondering as all.

Pioneer2
10-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Well let me give you a visual.They came unattached internally and turned sideways inside the scope.You could turn the rifle upside down and they would rattle and turn in whatever direction gravity dictated.........Also seen one Bushnell Banner have a crosshair break but in all fairness after 20 years service not 20 minutes like the former.....................Harold

kissacoyote
10-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Tasco, being a bottom of the line scope, they still work most of the time. Most reticles are etched into the glass these days. It might be a problem in the scope itself but it might also be a bedding problem. If the action is moving around in the stock, it will have the same effect as you describe.
If it is the scope, this is a prime example of the First Rule: Put the bigger money into the glass, rather than the iron.
The scope is old, and on a decent kicking rifle. Check your receiver-to-stock screws. If you're confident the action isn't moving around in the stock, buy a real scope.

Off in the Bushes
10-02-2008, 09:08 AM
There is nothing touching the barrel, and the rifle has been glass bedded and screws are tight to the stock.

Andrzej
10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I've had similar problem with new Burris Fullfield II on my Sako 75 SS in 7 Rem Mag and Optilock rings.
I shot this rifle last year with same rings and Leupold VXIII 4-14x40 and everything was fine.
This year I decided to put less expensive scope with ranging reticle.
So to the gun range and first shot is dead on centre second just beside it But THIRD is 4" to the right and 4" high forth jumps 4''to the left and 4'' high next is close to first two shots, next is touching third bullet hole so It creates pattern of moving reticle.

Now new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 is on this rig and first range session confirmed that it was scope....
Zeiss was 499 +tax
I would recommend it...
As to Fullfield scope I have a brand new scope thanks to super service from Calgary Canadian Tire at MacLeod Trail...might try it on 22 one day...or sell it.

huntinstuff
10-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Take your Tasco and heave it into the garbage.

There, now that you have done that, let's help you out.

For about $289, you can put a Leupold VX I 3x9x40 on your rifle.

After you do that, I doubt you will have scope problems ever again.

And if you do, Korth Group in Okotoks will repair the scope free under warranty forever.

A cheap scope is one of the biggest problems hunters have. Cutting cost on optics will eventually catch up to you.

I know. I have had my share of Bushnell Buckhorns, Tasco's, and Leapers. I was young and financially challenged......but for the cost of those scopes, I could have bought and still had a Leupold.

You deserve it. Go get one.:)

Off in the Bushes
10-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Take your Tasco and heave it into the garbage.

There, now that you have done that, let's help you out.

For about $289, you can put a Leupold VX I 3x9x40 on your rifle.

After you do that, I doubt you will have scope problems ever again.

And if you do, Korth Group in Okotoks will repair the scope free under warranty forever.

A cheap scope is one of the biggest problems hunters have. Cutting cost on optics will eventually catch up to you.

I know. I have had my share of Bushnell Buckhorns, Tasco's, and Leapers. I was young and financially challenged......but for the cost of those scopes, I could have bought and still had a Leupold.

You deserve it. Go get one.:)

I know that I deserve one and should go and get it, but it is trying to convince the saver in the family that it is needed. When I have a list an arms length that I want to get for hunting/ fishing and a new scope does not fit the bill, even though their are cheap compared to just a year ago. I have a new VX-1 on my .222 but it shoots groups of 1/2 of an inch at 100 yards and just don't want to take it off.

gitrdun
10-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Now you know why they've been nicknamed "Trashco" :D Recoil of a 7mm Mag demands quality optics. Of course, I'll recommend Leupold also.

Pioneer2
10-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I once picked up a fixed 6X Leupold at a garage sale some idiot had twisted off both adjustment dials and took the eyepiece apart letting out all the nitrogen for $75 Sent it to Leupold and had a completely rebuilt scope delivered to my door in less than two weeks!With that kind of warranty why get anything else? Excluding high end European optics of course.........Harold