PDA

View Full Version : Gull lake ice?

kalyng
01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Hey guy. Thinking of taking shack out to gull south end. Just wanted to know what ice was like how it is for driving on. Don't know the name of access point. It's the 2ed right (range rd 283) after the wooden shoe. The one I use. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hunter Trav
01-10-2014, 12:57 PM
Its not plowed, and the lake was drifted pretty good last Sunday. Was able to drive out, but it wasn't alot of fun...

kalyng
01-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the help

BlackHeart
01-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Ice further out from Wilson's is only 10" at best.
Drifted.....4" flood water everywhere....heavy crust to the snow.
Plenty of guys were getting stuck only a 100 yds from shore.

fish gunner
01-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Brownlows gets crudy very quickly once you get away from the well traveled paths . Quads sxs and trucks were going 100' further than I went on good going . To high centered shooting slush roosts. South end not many pushing there luck . Going to get chains for the first time in 10 yrs .

tight line
01-11-2014, 09:18 PM
The whole west side of the lake has quite a bit of flood water.. Ice is 16+ inches but only 6-8" of "good ice" . I drove out as there was tracks, drilled a hole and my auger wnt through like nothing... Lol bad feeling. Use caution, the ice is the worse i have seen for a few years! Fishing was decent as always

EZM
01-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Going out there tomorrow in the am ........ is it brutal all over or are there areas of the lake that are not flooded?

I hate slogging around .......

tight line
01-11-2014, 09:35 PM
The east & south is in alot better shape. The flood water wasnt too bad in spots but was 6" in places, on the west side, tough going at times. Bring a shovel! have had good fishing on all sides of the lake (sometimes slow, but consistent) 10-2 have been best for the whites for me any way. Lost a tank on wednesday prob 4 or so...lol

fish gunner
01-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Going out there tomorrow in the am ........ is it brutal all over or are there areas of the lake that are not flooded?

I hate slogging around .......

Tha main area of brownlows is not bad .this wind driven snow will cover the old slushy tracks. Dont go too far from the village and you should be ok . 4×4 only . The first 50' are alao terrible getting on the ice with the derby traffic.

EZM
01-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Thank-you gentlemen - I don't want to shovel !!!! Both trucks are lifted 4x4's with slightly bigger rubber but I have enough experience to tell you - that doesn't mean jack $#!t if the ice is crappy - you are going to be shoveling !!!!!

The original plan was the west side - the other guy knows a few spots that are supposed to be good for perch on that side. That plan might be out based on what you guys are saying.

We will try east and south sides tomorrow, hopefully catch some fish and enjoy the day - thanks for the heads up !!!!!

I probably will pick up some chains and leave them in my box for such special occasions.

tight line
01-11-2014, 10:27 PM
We drove out to the flood water, then walked out a little for 10fow. As long as your prepared its all good. I might be out with the wife and kid around 10. West side or Brownlows.

fish gunner
01-11-2014, 10:33 PM
Thank-you gentlemen - I don't want to shovel !!!! Both trucks are lifted 4x4's with slightly bigger rubber but I have enough experience to tell you - that doesn't mean jack $#!t if the ice is crappy - you are going to be shoveling !!!!!

The original plan was the west side - the other guy knows a few spots that are supposed to be good for perch on that side. That plan might be out based on what you guys are saying.

We will try east and south sides tomorrow, hopefully catch some fish and enjoy the day - thanks for the heads up !!!!!

I probably will pick up some chains and leave them in my box for such special occasions.

South side is no better ime with less tracks to follow and no village to reference tracks. Small suv's with good rubber do bes,t as momentum keeps them on top. break thru and your digging . Flood water in many areas in the south . Not as bad as west side but close.

EZM
01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Went out to explore Gull Lake - ended up on the east shore relatively close to the north side. Fishing was slow.

There was no significant flood water (at least visible) until you broke the upper crust. A few dicey areas to slog through but just kept moving forward until you hit a more solid spot - you know the routine.

You definitely need a 4 x 4 .......

I was surprised to be 300 yards from shore and in 4ft of water - but there were about a half dozen people set up - so we gave it a try. Saw one whitefish. Nothing else. Gave it a couple hours. Nothing.

So off we went, repack, and move, another 200 yards (testing as depth as we went) only to find a maximum depth of about 7.5 feet before the ice started getting really "wet and crusty". Set up there and found a few fish hanging around at least.

Pretty slow day but I guess you gotta put in time on new lakes !!!!!!! Needless to say found no structure or nothing impressive - so no spots gps marked ! lol.

tight line
01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Ya ive never had much luck for the whites on the north east side, but used to get some good pike! It is definately shallow for the most part. We did alright on the west side, but only fished a hour and a half. Had a few whites on, iced one and a bunch of perch, my kid was so excited! But nap time was calling. Not bad for showing up at noon.. Lol

ULTRAlite
01-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Did pretty decent yesterday on the west side... walked on. Found 10 FOW and set up. Seen whites, perch, burbs, and pike and managed a 3 species day up the hole. Good day in my books :)