PDA

View Full Version : Driving on near Edmonton?

ssyd
01-10-2014, 03:02 PM
I hurt my back last week and I'm not really feeling up to hiking across the lake. From reading it sounds like Gull might be drivable on Saturday. Anyone driving on anywhere else? Really interested to hear about Wabamun and South Buck. Any other Edmonton-area ice conditions would be appreciated as well.

I remember there being a great sticky for ice conditions last year but that info has been harder to find on here this year.

Mayhem
01-10-2014, 03:07 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=197683

Recall South Buck having too much snow to drive on.

Glenn D
01-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Drove on lac la nunne on north end but you need 4by 4.

fish gunner
01-12-2014, 09:18 PM
I hurt my back last week and I'm not really feeling up to hiking across the lake. From reading it sounds like Gull might be drivable on Saturday. Anyone driving on anywhere else? Really interested to hear about Wabamun and South Buck. Any other Edmonton-area ice conditions would be appreciated as well.

I remember there being a great sticky for ice conditions last year but that info has been harder to find on here this year.

Brownlows at gull is fine for a 4×4 . Over a square kilometer beaten track . Very busy but not bad driving after the first 50'.

binnzer32
01-12-2014, 09:20 PM
You need 4x4 at on sw end of gull plus you need to know how to drive. Seen a lot of ppl stucj I laugh abd skidoo by. Never do I drive in this crap. Weird topwater is very sparatic. Pushed a suv full of orientals only for them to get stuck again over and over. If your back is hurt use the forum guranteed someone with a sled with shuttle you. I would.

Lefty-Canuck
01-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Driving on South buck without a snow machine is not an option.

LC

WildCats
01-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Buck has the worst flood water I've ever seen covered with nearly two feet of snow in most places. Ice thickness is variable from 4-12" depending on where your at.

WC

Xiph0id
01-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Driving on South buck without a snow machine is not an option.

LC

I always walk on.
Fishing ain't the greatest anyway.

calrac
01-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Took a afternoon Sunday drive to check out lakes around my home. Went to Lac St Anne - Alberta beach boat launch. I did not drive on others were on but only close to the boat launch all 4 x 4. seen a SUV stuck so I decided not to drive on since I wanted to go further then the boat launch.

Went to devils lake had no problems driving on devil's with a 4 x 4 - fishing was okay for the short time I was there. wanted to check out Myatan Lake but didn't get there before dark.

1bluZebec
01-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Buck has the worst flood water I've ever seen covered with nearly two feet of snow in most places. Ice thickness is variable from 4-12" depending on where your at.

WC

x2 i was suprized at how crappy the conditions were compared to everywhere else ive been. nowhere was good but the places i was at were crappy.

jrmoyan
01-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Wab townsite is drive able

ssyd
01-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Was at Fallis at Wabamun on Sunday (had to work Saturday) everyone else drove on but there was some nasty flood water in spots a couple people had a tough time getting out. One guy got himself dug in real nice into a good 8 inches of flood water.

Myself - I got a parking ticket in this summer village for not parking on the ice. I asked a Parkland County peace officer supervisor, "is it some miserable old bat with bylaw on speed dial?" To which he replied, "I would tend to agree with that assessment." Just a heads up. I've parked there for three winters but now some anti-social shut-in with nothing better to do is playing neighbourhood watch.

jrmoyan
01-18-2014, 10:08 PM
So where does a guy park then at fallis want to take kids out there tmrw morning

bloopbloob
01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Was at Fallis at Wabamun on Sunday (had to work Saturday) everyone else drove on but there was some nasty flood water in spots a couple people had a tough time getting out. One guy got himself dug in real nice into a good 8 inches of flood water.

Myself - I got a parking ticket in this summer village for not parking on the ice. I asked a Parkland County peace officer supervisor, "is it some miserable old bat with bylaw on speed dial?" To which he replied, "I would tend to agree with that assessment." Just a heads up. I've parked there for three winters but now some anti-social shut-in with nothing better to do is playing neighbourhood watch.

I'm sure it's the same lady I had the displeasure of meeting last summer there. Definitely sounds exactly like how I'd describe her. Luckily I was already leaving with the boat on the trailer, but she still stopped me in the middle of the road to tell me this was HER home, and I wasn't allowed to be there (even though I wasn't, nor never was on any private property). I smiled and thanked her for the info.