PDA

View Full Version : Do pike eat birds and rodents?

tacklerunner
01-11-2014, 08:25 AM
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/tmarkin/pic_049_clean_7901_zpscb4d226d.jpg (http://s910.photobucket.com/user/tmarkin/media/pic_049_clean_7901_zpscb4d226d.jpg.html)

Team Anzac
01-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Their called Slough Sharks for a reason, cool pis it speaks a thousands words.

Flight01
01-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Saw the same thing once. They are bat sh** crazy! They will tackle anything that lands in the water. Thanks for sharing

J D
01-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Watched a duck get taken by a pike at Badger

I swear pike will eat almost anything that moves and fits in their mouth

RavYak
01-11-2014, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_E4BUt1z8Y

I have seen both mice and a ducklings inside of Pike.

raiderfan
01-11-2014, 09:49 AM
they eat everything

raiderfan
01-11-2014, 09:50 AM
pop bottle caps to obviously ducks

raiderfan
01-11-2014, 09:51 AM
and will bite a human toe while swimming

Doubledroptine
01-11-2014, 09:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_E4BUt1z8Y

I have seen both mice and a ducklings inside of Pike.

That was awesome!

RavYak
01-11-2014, 10:06 AM
That was awesome!

I love the reactions. Poor duckie. That was awesome!

KN12313
01-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Back some 30 years ago, my dad, my uncle and I were fishing just off the end of the old high that runs into Tobin lake Sask. (north side off the lake) (by the way a great place for Pike). The 3 of us were fishing in a old 14-16 ft ish wooden boat with small OB (it was slow).

The weather was flat calm and hot as H$##. We still caught a mess of Pike, can't remember the actual number but more that 20, might even be more than 30.

There where 2 other boats in the same location as us, and 1 with a yappy little poodle, and thet let that little fur ball yap on and off for a couple of hours. :angry3:

I am not sure if they figured out the dog as hot or what, but they put the dog in the water for a swim.

I did not actually see the fish, but I heard the splash and I turned and seen the ripples. No dog everyone in their boat started screaming and I was LMAO outloud (at 16 yrs old, that was very funny), I laughed long enough that they told me to "CAN IT", and also said to me "what if it was your dog". And I said back "I have a real dog not a white rat" :sHa_sarcasticlol: then they were really mad and left. My dad was kind of p!$$ed at me for laughing. Still to this day funny as H#!! . Can't fix stupid (3-4 lb dog vs 25 lb Pike)

Geezle
01-11-2014, 10:23 AM
That's awesome :cool:

I recall a couple years back WayneChristie posted up a pic of a pike he caught that still had a coot's feet sticking out! :shark:

Redfrog
01-11-2014, 10:27 AM
So is this like a turducken? What would you call it. A Dike? a Puck?

I've seen them take ducks and mice as well. They are not very picky about what they eat.

BTW, anyone ever bake a stuffed pike? I've seen pics of stuffed carp.

Chisholm77
01-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I never saw it happen but growing up in North Bay the legend was that the old boys used to use live barn kittens as Muskie bait on lake nip issing

Coulee
01-11-2014, 11:49 AM
While golfing once at the course in Carmen, Manitoba, I was watching a family of young ducks on the small river that runs through it. There was a sudden splash and one less duckling. The way I golf, I should have brought my fishing gear instead.

WayneChristie
01-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Told you your little doggie would be good bait ;)

jungleboy
01-11-2014, 11:59 AM
I remember the stories of trolling for Muskie in Ontario with puppies and kittens . Never saw it but I believe it would work :)

buck66
01-11-2014, 11:59 AM
i have caught a lot of jacks but that's a first for me wow

pinelakeperch
01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Back some 30 years ago, my dad, my uncle and I were fishing just off the end of the old high that runs into Tobin lake Sask. (north side off the lake) (by the way a great place for Pike). The 3 of us were fishing in a old 14-16 ft ish wooden boat with small OB (it was slow).

The weather was flat calm and hot as H$##. We still caught a mess of Pike, can't remember the actual number but more that 20, might even be more than 30.

There where 2 other boats in the same location as us, and 1 with a yappy little poodle, and thet let that little fur ball yap on and off for a couple of hours. :angry3:

I am not sure if they figured out the dog as hot or what, but they put the dog in the water for a swim.

I did not actually see the fish, but I heard the splash and I turned and seen the ripples. No dog everyone in their boat started screaming and I was LMAO outloud (at 16 yrs old, that was very funny), I laughed long enough that they told me to "CAN IT", and also said to me "what if it was your dog". And I said back "I have a real dog not a white rat" :sHa_sarcasticlol: then they were really mad and left. My dad was kind of p!$$ed at me for laughing. Still to this day funny as H#!! . Can't fix stupid (3-4 lb dog vs 25 lb Pike)

Oh boy it sure is hilarious when someone's family dog gets killed. Just hilarious!

I've cleaned a decent sized pike and found a baby duckling in its stomach. Also had pike attack medium sized bass and walleye on my line.

maddog49
01-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Years ago people would tie a line to a squirrell with a few treble hooks on it, then they would put the squirrell on a board push it out on the water. Give the line a tug and the squirrell would fall off into the water thrashing around and the big pikes would attack the squirrell.

lannie
01-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Years ago people would tie a line to a squirrell with a few treble hooks on it, then they would put the squirrell on a board push it out on the water. Give the line a tug and the squirrell would fall off into the water thrashing around and the big pikes would attack the squirrell.

I have heard that one before but it was always Bull trout and gophers.

Redfrog
01-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Think of all the little critters the internet has saved.

Now a guy can go trolling for suckers and never leave his basement.:thinking-006:

omega50
01-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Always enjoyed fishing with my Heddon Meadow Mouse!

58thecat
01-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Reeled in a walleye just to catch a pike too that would not let go so I ate both of them!

Geezle
01-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Think of all the little critters the internet has saved.

Now a guy can go trolling for suckers and never leave his basement.:thinking-006:

What are you implying?:thinking-006:

pipco
01-11-2014, 02:34 PM
I never saw it happen but growing up in North Bay the legend was that the old boys used to use live barn kittens as Muskie bait on lake nip issing

Sounds like something an old inbred, slobbering moron might do.

jungleboy
01-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Live frogs , live cats, Drowning worms.. what is the difference really ?:scared0018:

last minute
01-11-2014, 03:24 PM
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/tmarkin/pic_049_clean_7901_zpscb4d226d.jpg (http://s910.photobucket.com/user/tmarkin/media/pic_049_clean_7901_zpscb4d226d.jpg.html)I guess you answered your own question eh! great pics

TylerThomson
01-11-2014, 03:26 PM
not much other than some people have no problem with killing things so long as they aren't considered cute.

MercMike
01-11-2014, 03:43 PM
i was out ice fishing a few years ago at fawcett lake and at the end of my trip i had caught about a six pound snake that i decided to keep for supper but i noticed when i caught it , it had quite the stomch full and a chunk of line coming out of its mouth so when i got home naturally i wanted to see what kind of of hook was in it but when i opened it up it was just an old lead head jig but i also found four chicken wing bones the drumstick part of the wing with the meat eaten off someone must have been having lunch and tossing them down the hole.

jungleboy
01-11-2014, 03:44 PM
not much other than some people have no problem with killing things so long as they aren't considered cute.

bingo!

bisonhunter
01-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Was that duck taken out then turned around? Usually things are swallowed head first when eaten whole. If not very impressive work on behalf of the pike. That pike could easily eat that duck, just seems odd the way it is facing.

Here's a short vid of a not so big pike eating a duckling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_E4BUt1z8Y

jts1
01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
i was out ice fishing a few years ago at fawcett lake and at the end of my trip i had caught about a six pound snake that i decided to keep for supper but i noticed when i caught it , it had quite the stomch full and a chunk of line coming out of its mouth so when i got home naturally i wanted to see what kind of of hook was in it but when i opened it up it was just an old lead head jig but i also found four chicken wing bones the drumstick part of the wing with the meat eaten off someone must have been having lunch and tossing them down the hole.

You ate what I am assuming was a Bull Snake?

MercMike
01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
You ate what I am assuming was a Bull Snake?

delicious fried bull snake ha ha ha

tacklerunner
01-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Was that duck taken out then turned around? Usually things are swallowed head first when eaten whole. If not very impressive work on behalf of the pike. That pike could easily eat that duck, just seems odd the way it is facing.

Here's a short vid of a not so big pike eating a duckling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_E4BUt1z8Y

I don't know. Pic was sent to me. I suppose they took it out of the gut and posed it nicely for the pic.

Gust
01-11-2014, 05:49 PM
I don't know. Pic was sent to me. I suppose they took it out of the gut and posed it nicely for the pic.

why duz the duck look wet I thought wet falls off ducks baks?

H380
01-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Saw a muskrat get swallowed by a pike , duck doesn't surprise me .

Gust
01-11-2014, 05:51 PM

why duck in comfy pose and not squished?

Gust
01-11-2014, 05:55 PM

did they eat the duck? I find duck greasy, that one looks like it would be slimy and greasy.

Chisholm77
01-11-2014, 06:19 PM
Sounds like something an old inbred, slobbering moron might do.

I didn't say the legend was the smartest guys in town did it. I do assume the kittens they used were inbred and slobbering though.

HatchMatcher
01-11-2014, 06:37 PM

tallieho
01-11-2014, 07:46 PM
one fall day i was doing some water retreive training ,with my lab.when the big guy whelped,couldn;t fiquire it out.until he came outa the water with a gaitor on his front leg.messy ,exspenseive vet bill after that..

rafhone
01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
About 10 years ago I had a pickrel rig in the water at fisher's creek, wich lies just off Candle Lake, Saskatchewan. The sun was starting to set and the action was slow so I started to watch the wild life.

My attention became centered on a squirrel across the creek that was making his way down a fallen tree that had landed in the creek. He made his way to the end of the tree and started munching on a pine cone. Could'nt have been 5 seconds later that what must have been a 20 pound pike launched over the tree and took the squirrel whole in one bite!

I sat there stunned with what i just saw for what seemed like an eternity... then I'll be damned if I didnt see that same pike, pine cone in his mouth, swim top side back to the tree and put it back in the EXACT SAME SPOT.

true story.

WayneChristie
01-11-2014, 09:50 PM
About 10 years ago I had a pickrel rig in the water at fisher's creek, wich lies just off Candle Lake, Saskatchewan. The sun was starting to set and the action was slow so I started to watch the wild life.

My attention became centered on a squirrel across the creek that was making his way down a fallen tree that had landed in the creek. He made his way to the end of the tree and started munching on a pine cone. Could'nt have been 5 seconds later that what must have been a 20 pound pike launched over the tree and took the squirrel whole in one bite!

I sat there stunned with what i just saw for what seemed like an eternity... then I'll be damned if I didnt see that same pike, pine cone in his mouth, swim top side back to the tree and put it back in the EXACT SAME SPOT.

true story.

mighta got the spot right, but was it facing the same direction? I bet the pike messed up!
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/1349475252541.gif

WayneChristie
01-11-2014, 09:55 PM
this is the one I caught, man did it stink!
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF7396.jpg

rafhone
01-11-2014, 10:05 PM
this is the one I caught, man did it stink!
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/DSCF7396.jpg

and its so small. jebus

WayneChristie
01-11-2014, 10:06 PM
yup 8 pound pike and a full grown coot, and it still hit my spoon!

rafhone
01-11-2014, 10:12 PM
It would be a laugh to catch one on a rubber ducky. hahahahaha. Now that would be a good video.

rafhone
01-11-2014, 10:28 PM
as a matter of fact I think that would be a fun contest to have on the forum. First person to catch a pike on a rubber ducky.

rules could read like:
ducky can be modified with paddles or streamers,
no hook can trail more than 2 inches behind the ducky,
must be recogniable as a rubber ducky and be a floating lure.

WayneChristie
01-11-2014, 10:29 PM
I remember seeing lures that were ducklings. long ago. maybe a rubber ducky would work, you could hear the squeaking as the pike chewed it and know you had a fish on!

tight line
01-11-2014, 10:50 PM
I dont know what that bastard shark would do with it.. Might eat it i suppose.. I seen one eat a Rocking Chair one time! Quint- Jaws. Lol

Watched a 15-20lber eat a musk rat in the Battle River one time! Pretty cool! I'll drink to that!