PDA

View Full Version : Should wab stay c/r?

capper
01-11-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm curious what people think, should wab say catch and release. I'm all for it! I love taking people out there, especially youngsters or friends who don't fish often. You always catch fish and normally at least a few around 10lbs. Today we caught 4-pike, 1-white, 1-walleye. Biggest pike 8lbs and was my friends biggest fish. 3hrs of fishing. Great day!!

1bluZebec
01-11-2014, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a great day out:) yes I think for awhile longer forsure

EZM
01-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Absolutely should stay C&R ......

1) Too close to the city
2) A quality, trophy fishery
3) new walleye in there

Lefty-Canuck
01-11-2014, 07:08 PM
One word....Yes

LC

3blade
01-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know what the chemical(s) were and how long they last in a lake? I heard some kind of preservative so I'm guessing long lasting, but would like to know, searched but didn't find.

yes, c&r. Just to pizz off the guys who poached for the restaurants.

lake side
01-11-2014, 07:16 PM
yes, c&r. Just to pizz off the guys who poached for the restaurants.

What restaurants?

3blade
01-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Same guys who brought their 4 kids to keep limits multiple times a day. Same restaurants you might not be inclined to believe the deep fried meat is the species they claim on the menu. No further comment on that one.

Nice to have a c&r place that close. Too bad at such a high cost.

Kokanee9
01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Keep it C&R and add some more lakes to the C&R list.

Why wait for another chemical spill to add more lakes?

lromanchuk
01-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Even if Wab wasn't c&r, would you keep anything?

Between the powerplants and the spill, the water quality can't be good.

Snap Shot
01-11-2014, 08:09 PM
For the most part yes. But I sure do miss catching whites out there. There has to be some jumbos in there now.

RavYak
01-11-2014, 08:23 PM
I would be ok with them opening it for whites and perch. In a few years if the walleye take hold they could open it up to walleye tags too.

But I hope they leave it catch and release for pike. If not it will be fished out in a matter of weeks as there is far too much fishing pressure.

Lefty-Canuck
01-11-2014, 08:33 PM
I was told the issue with Wab is that there is little to no recruitment....of the guys who fish it often how many small pike do you catch or do you see on camera?

LC

Graffy91
01-11-2014, 08:36 PM
I would be ok with them opening it for whites and perch. In a few years if the walleye take hold they could open it up to walleye tags too.

But I hope they leave it catch and release for pike. If not it will be fished out in a matter of weeks as there is far too much fishing pressure.

If they open it to the pikes main food source we once again fall into a downward spiral that Alberta has suffered with lakes.

STUNTED FISH. :angry3:

CanadianBadass
01-11-2014, 08:42 PM
100% yes.......

capper
01-11-2014, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=lromanchuk;2279231]Even if Wab wasn't c&r, would you keep anything?

Between the powerplants and the spill, the water quality can't be good.[/

No jokes I'm actually allergic to fish, anaphylactic shock alergic.:angry3:

JohninAB
01-11-2014, 09:43 PM
My preference would be leave it catch and release for all species for now.

sureshot
01-11-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm torn on this one. If they open it they should make it a trophy lake where you need to buy the trophy license. Also 1 tag for a slot sized pike. This way it doesn't get fished out. It's a tough call.

Andy

Alberta Bigbore
01-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Even if Wab wasn't c&r, would you keep anything?

Between the powerplants and the spill, the water quality can't be good.

I have never eaten a fish from that lake.. and never would. lol Id rather eat a fish from NSR

EZM
01-12-2014, 12:11 AM
I would suggest Wabamun's clarity and general cleanliness is far better than most Alberta lakes despite the "spill". Admittedly, my statement is based on observation.

Obviously there is some residual from the spill which has not fully dissipated, however, a recent report shows very little evidence of any toxicological effects since the spill.

The lake, however, must remain catch and release.

Proximity to the city and the subsequent fishing pressure would destroy this lake.

HunterDave
01-12-2014, 01:05 AM
I was told the issue with Wab is that there is little to no recruitment....of the guys who fish it often how many small pike do you catch or do you see on camera?

LC

Was told the same thing on here by one of our resident F&W folks. Can't remember his name offhand though. It popped up in a discussion about relocating walleye from Ste Anne to Wab the spring that Isle Lake winter killed. I figure that the walleye would have been headed to Isle and he explained why they were taken to Wab instead.

It really doesn't matter to me if it changes or stays the same as long as the F&W biologists have a plan and not just keep it C&R for the sake of growing pike big. Wab and Ste Anne both being C&R for pike is plenty to appease the C&R fishermen from Edmonton IMO.

Tater 1
01-12-2014, 04:10 AM
IMO . If they do tags for fish people who wish to take some home can with the right tags . C&R has been great for St Anne . We fish there lots and it has gotten much better .