PDA

View Full Version : Scope or Gun problems??

wallslammer
10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a remington model 700 laminated stainless in 300 win mag topped with a leupold 3x9 vari-x 11. when shooting at 100 yards I get the first shot 2" high, the second shot 7 to 9 inches high and 2 inches right or left and the third shot within an inch of the first shot. These are not flinches as it happens consistently with me and with 2 other shooters. Any answers?:confused::huh:

catnthehat
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Could be a bedding issue, but without looking at the rifle I cannot give an honest opinion.....
Cat

wallslammer
10-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I forgot to mention that the stock was rubbing on the barrel but I sanded it down thinking this was the problem but it wasnt This is also the first time I've seen a laminated stock warp

Bushrat
10-01-2008, 10:15 PM
When a gun double groups it usually means something is loose internally in the scope or in the mounts or bedding, check every screw on the mounts make sure they are tight, take the rings off and check the base mounting screws, make sure the action screws are tight, if the action is jumping back and forth in the stock between shots and tightning the action screws dosen't fix it then it likely needs to be bedded. To see if its the scope the easiest way is to try the scope from another rifle that is known to be good, if it suddenly quits double grouping with another scope on it then you know the old one's pooched.

shirtr
10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I would agree with bushrat.
I had many problems with my HS Precision Pro 2000 lightweight 300WM. Finally found that the gun smith (no name mentioned) drilled the 700 mounts wrong for fitting the larger diameter mounting screws. Anyway, long story short, the rifle is now shoots awesome.

sbtennex
10-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Had the same type of thing with a VXII on my .270 - out of the blue it'd start putting bullets way, way left. It was the older style that doesn't have positive clicks so the adjustments were seamless. Seemed the vertical X-hair was moving. Sent it in for a checkup. came back all centered and cleaned up but I don't trust it so it now sits on a .17HMR. If I miss a chicken, oh well