PDA

View Full Version : 270 wsm

Brodie Buck
10-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Looking to buy a new toy. What is the general consensus out there about the 270 wsm. For those folks who have them would you buy it again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

shirtr
10-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't have one myself, and probably never will, but I do hear good things about them.

However, I think that if you are looking for a new rifle in a WSM calibre, I would opt to go with the 300 WSM. There are a greater number of bullet combinations available for the 30 cal vs. .277.

What type of rifle are you looking at? What kind of magazine capacity would you like and are you ready to fumble around with those 'fat ass' cartridges.

Anyway, just some food for thought I guess....

Rocks
10-01-2008, 11:45 PM
I've had a 270wsm for a few years now, it's been great. Killed everything I've shot with it cleanly. Of all the shortmags, the 270 is the only one that offers an advantage in performance over other cartridges in the same caliber. I definitely like mine, it has become my take everywhere, kill everything rifle. I would recommend one to anyone. Sure you're not gonna be able to shoot 180's or 200's out of it, but hey, thats what 300's and 338's are for, right?

Scott N
10-02-2008, 04:58 AM
I've also been using a 270 WSM for a few years now and I really like it. I picked mine up because I thought it would make a really good deer / sheep sized game rifle that shoots flat and has enough punch for elk / moose of the opportunity should come up. I've shot a few deer and a bull elk with it now and I've been impressed with it.

catnthehat
10-02-2008, 05:44 AM
The 270 WSM is considered by most to be the best of the WSM cartridges.
I have never owned one but have loaded for a few, I like it.
Cat

Ice Fishing Maniac
10-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Very impressed wih this caliber on big game-elk, moose, bears, bear @ various distances, plus at the range. My two Tikka T3 LS 270WSM (my wife took over the first one, s I bougt one for me) love 140gr Accubonds. I was a little concerned at first when I bought them since I was use to my 300WM with 180gr bullets.

Mostly all 1 shot kills- complee pass thru double lung penetration with severe internal damage. Only 2 shot was by my wife on her first bull moose a couple of years ago and that wasonly because I did not want the bull to ge into the timber. Both hots were double lung, but the bull turned and took a few steeped before it stopped.

I pretty much hunted all of last season with my 270WSM. My reloads group 0.25"@ 100m @ almost 3300ft/s

Would I buy this caliber agan...for sure but I have 2 already:lol::lol:

harv3589
10-02-2008, 02:15 PM
I had one for a season and the caliber is outstanding IMO...I would buy another in a heart beat.