PDA

View Full Version : Merc 150 HP 4 stroke 4 cylinder opinions

Drewski Canuck
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Thinking of a new boat in the future. Merc has a 4 stroke 4 cylinder 150, which is quite light compared to 6 cylinder 4 strokes.

Funny thing is I do not hear a lot about these engines, which means that they obviously aren't a grenade, but I don't hear anyone bragging about them either.

Anyone have any experience with these engines, good or bad?

Drewski

Team Beef
01-13-2014, 02:27 PM
http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php?topic=3926.0
a link for you to check out.

cube
01-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Thinking of a new boat in the future. Merc has a 4 stroke 4 cylinder 150, which is quite light compared to 6 cylinder 4 strokes.

Funny thing is I do not hear a lot about these engines, which means that they obviously aren't a grenade, but I don't hear anyone bragging about them either.

Anyone have any experience with these engines, good or bad?

Drewski

Those engines are quite new ,only a year or two old, and all are still under warranty so not allot to hear yet. I'm sure when the they come off warranty you will hear allot more on the internet about them.

The Mercury Verado 4 cylinder 4 strokes have been out now for some time but are quite a bit different. For what it’s worth My Verado has been GREAT.

Remi3006
01-13-2014, 04:09 PM
I have a 200hp in the Verado..... Very nice motors, and no issues at all. Ive had it for 2 years now and would say I have close to 350hrs on it.

EZM
01-13-2014, 06:41 PM
I went with a Honda 150 on my boat, however, the Mercury line up was also an option for me. The reliability/reputation of the Honda, along with the dealer made the choice for my new boat easier.

Both the Verado (equiped with smartcraft and controls) and Honda will cost your $4000 (retail) more and, to be honest, I really liked the ease of maintenance and simplicity of the 4 stroke Mercury.

It is also much lighter than the Verado. Given the choice between the Verado and the 4 stroke - I'd go with the 4 stoke.

The Reel Deal
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Got a new 115 4 stroke Merc this summer, so quiet for trolling, very good on gas.
Every dealer out there services a Merc, so you won't have to worry about being stuck with one that has poor customer service.

-JR-
01-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Dad has the merc 150 4 stroke nice unit.
But if you open it up she eats the fuel ,but then again what does not .