PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting some time on the ice

hacman
01-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Finally got some time on the ice this weekend. Caught this fat 25" burbot yesterday, not a huge fish by any means but a decent size. Also got a small Pike and a couple whites. Never fished for whites thru the ice before this weekend, tried a few different wire worms without any luck so I opened the fly box up and tried a bead-headed Prince Nymph. Soon as I dropped it down I got one right away. I'm thinking they liked the slow fall and light twitches. Only saw two whites and caught them both. The Pike went back to get bigger but took the burb and whites home and made a fresh fish chowder, it was sooo good. The burb's belly felt like it was full of rocks, opened it up and it was full of small crayfish. They were too badly decomposed to put in my chowder. Couple pics of the day, sorry I didn't get one of the chowder. Cheers!

huntsfurfish
01-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Well done!

EZM
01-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Just give the crawfish a quick rinse and in the chowder they go !!!! lol.

How did the white's flesh end up in the chowder? was it falling apart? never thought of using whitefish this way myself ....

Dale S
01-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Nice. That's 4 fish measured in. Are you going for all the fish on the list.

wags
01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Congrats Hacman, nice catches.

Love the Burb contents. My buddy bought a crayfish lure cause it 'looked cool' - maybe he outta be bouncing it off the bottom a bit!

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

hacman
01-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Just give the crawfish a quick rinse and in the chowder they go !!!! lol.

How did the white's flesh end up in the chowder? was it falling apart? never thought of using whitefish this way myself ....

Wasn't falling apart at all, cut into chunks and threw it in the pot just before serving. Had the leftovers last night and still held together after re-heating.

Nice. That's 4 fish measured in. Are you going for all the fish on the list.

All of the them would be a stretch but 8 or 9 might be possible. Then just need a 12" average between them all to give Wayne some competition for the ultimate angler title.

BobLoblaw
01-14-2014, 12:03 PM
Right on!
That burb sure had a belly-full!

BEL
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
How about your chowder recipe? BEL