PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Lake Res

SWODM3
01-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone could pass on a few tips! I hate asking but it is a big lake and I don't even know where to start. I am prepared to put in the time to learn some spots and what works but if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Where to start and what works? PM me if you feel necessary. I am interested in fishing the lakers, white's, and the burb's. Going out friday!

Thanks in advance!

BassDude
01-14-2014, 07:48 PM
I have tried near shore by the old camp ground where the ice sailboats are and caught a few small whites. There was an old timer fishing in 4 feet of water who told me over the years he has done pretty good in that area over the years. He was using gold wire worms as was I.

Another day before all the snow I drove to the first shacks and worked the water from shoreline to shoreline marking almost nothing.

I'm going to try the west side of the arm past the cottages this weekend, and I'm going to be on the ice by 730 for sun-up.

Could be dicey driving with all the snow and melt but I will scout the ice on Friday pm.

Another guy told me he has caught whiteys and trout on the north side of the bridge further up the channel.

I too am going to put some time in on Ghost this winter as it's a quick drive from my place, will share what I learn

TROLLER
01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Good luck to both of you.

You have accepted the challenge that all before you have also chosen. To fish and fish and fish Ghost. Remember now I said fish not catch.

Some guys have luck catching small burbot but most fish the whites down on the west side.

do a search on this site and you will find some useful info. But you are working at the hardest lake in so. Alberta to fish be it through the ice or from a boat for hour after hour after hour.

BassDude
01-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Yes - this is the challenge...

Went out for 30 minutes this evening to check the ice. 17" of ice, 15" blue/2"white. There is about 3" of snow/crust closer to the shore, but the middle is windblown and judging by the convoy that came off the ice at 5:40 the ice is solid along the middle track.

Beautiful moon tonight...going for sunrise on Saturday and heading as far west as I can go.:scared0018:

depolloc
01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Don't let people scare you. Is Ghost a challenge, yes. What bothers me is when you finally find a decent spot, and someone puts a permanent shack on it. (Basically spying on you). True story. Anywho, took me 3 years before I found a decent spot & techniques that would consistently work on Ghost (for moderate-small fish). The key is determination. Fish do exist in ghost.

The Reel Deal
01-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Ive been out to ghost at least 12 times for at least 8 hours each time. I have 1 small laker that I lost at the side of the boat and 6 small burbz to show for it.
Ive jigged, ive trolled, ive downrigged, ive punched holes... frustrated to say the least.
I'll keep trying
That lake has tought me one thing, you can catch burbs in broad day light in lakes. I caught 3 this fall in 16 fow around noon in 15 minutes, they came up covered in mud from burrowing into the bottom.

SWODM3
01-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks for all of the posts. Looking forward to adding ghost to my list of lakes. Hope everyone has some success and good weather!

depolloc
01-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Beautiful day out! Slow fishing but did manage 1 laker. Always a pleasure to meet fellow AO members out on the ice :-)

Habfan
01-19-2014, 08:31 AM
I use to fish here a lot but moved to the far south east of Calgary so it's getting a little to far but I started catching lakers quite regularly by attaching a silver hammered large spinner bladde at the top of a pickerel rig in about 60 fow along the west shore. Just pump it up & down a couple times then let it sit still. Repeat every couple minutes

BassDude
01-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Beauty day Saturday on the ice at ghost. Marked very few fish on the sonar, but had the pleasure of meeting another AO member at setup in the AM. It's always nice to meet fellow anglers who enjoy swapping info and stories during slow days on the ice. The ice is really good at the moment (this could change) drove around to pretty much anywhere I wanted to scout. Saw an older gentleman in a small SUV driving shore to shore, behind islands, far west end etc etc. seemed to be just enjoying the lake. The education/challenge continues....

jbfishing
01-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Went to ghost on Wed afternoon fished about 45fow didnt see any fish on camera. No bites either. Not impressed once again

oceanADDIKT
06-02-2014, 12:08 PM
landed a nice 3 pound laker trolling and had a few bites go out in spring and troll the shoreline go deep and go early in the morning

wildcat111
06-02-2014, 06:22 PM
in the winter ice fishing this lake is terriblke at best, but in this time of yr shore fishing is awesome, landed 20 in the last two outings

Envitro
06-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Anyone have any luck launching a boat there in the last week?

I tried last Friday but the water level was quite low and I saw guys almost lose their trailers off the end of the concrete ramp. I'm guessing they've been keeping the gates fairly open in anticipation of snow melt in the next 7-10 days.

spinN'flyfish
06-29-2014, 01:50 PM
where is the best spot on this lake, dont need your secret spot but a general idea. (lakers,rockies,burbs, etc.) I came here last year to fish but it looked too big for shore fishing spots so i just turned back for ice cream and some coffee