PDA

View Full Version : preserved minnows

preserved minnows
02-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Has anyone tryed the bulk packs of emerald shiners you can get at Wholesale Sports. They come unfrozen in a vacuum pack bag for about 11.00 bucks.How are they for staying on your hook, and can they be frozen and rethawed without turning to mush? They seem like they are a good idea. Asked the kids working at the fishing counter about them, but it seemed like they didn't even know what day of the week it was!! Thank you for any advice.

Vacu paked minnows
02-10-2007, 02:01 PM
I always like the looks of those . I just wonder if they have a preservative in them , that wouldnt let them freeze . The pack doesnt say anything . I guess
the only way is to spring for 11 bucks and try them .
I know years ago those jarred preserved jobs didnt work
to much formaldihyde ...

Vexilar
02-10-2007, 05:10 PM
The way I do up my minnows is as follows:

1. Thaw out minnows in the fridge in a large (empty) margarine container.
2.dump them in the sink.
3.rinse out margarine container with hot water then dry.
4.cover the bottom of the margarine container with pickling salt.
5.add a layer of minnows on the salt/ add more salt covering minnows complety and so forth until your container is full.
6.place in the fridge for 24 hours.
7.dump minnows in dry sink and shake off any excess salt. I leave a little salt on don't get too picky with getting rid of the salt.
8.place back in the freezer.

I've done this for years and the pike and the ling love them the salt acts as an attractant and their hard to keep away from your hook. That's what I brought the ling in to my hook with at Gull when I met up with Mudder Man while teaching a co worker how to ice fish.

In the summer if your worried about your smelt or minnow getting soggy and falling off, put on a rock in the scorching sun for a few minutes and it will harden up the longer you leave it in the sun and out of the water. ;) :rollin