PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Advice Near Athabasca

Wolfgang
01-17-2014, 09:38 AM
Hello everyone,

I am taking a comrade ice fishing this weekend near Athabasca. Essentially, I really want them to experience some quality ice fishing. Not fussy about species but would like to try at night for some burbs.

We were thinking of trying Calling Lake (I have fished there a handful of times with limited success), does anybody have any suggestions?

Not looking for your secret spots, just somewhere to catch some fish and get my pal into ice fishing.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

W.

latenite
01-17-2014, 08:05 PM
nobody talks about that area, lol. i posted a thread around Christmas time and got no responses. very secretive!! my wife's dad lives there and he told us there is a lot of flood water on most lakes so be careful. Calling lake is good fishing but he doesn't go there so sorry i cant help you there. what species are you looking for? i have fished Baptiste, Island, Chain, Ghost, and Lawrence lakes, so i might be able to direct you to a lake, what happens there i can't say though. expect to walk on with a sled in tow.

Glenn D
01-17-2014, 10:49 PM
If your fishing for walleye calling lake is a good bet for that area. Lots of snow and slush so you will prolly be walking out but you don't have to go far there's a good drop of about 300 yards out front of the boat launch should produce some walleyes.

Tikka Hunter
01-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Fished Island last weekend, a bit slow but caught enough for dinner, perch and pike. Flood water, skidoo's travelling the lake, but be careful.

Wolfgang
01-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, we fished Calling saturday night and sunday morning, and caught only a single 4 lbs walleye, not much else.

Nothing on tip ups saw nothing through the ice, some of the slowest fishing I've experienced.

Lots of flood water and high gusting winds (enough to move a tent with two men inside).