PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mounting Question

heiner39
10-03-2008, 08:26 PM
I just picked up a Leupold VX-II and found the tube to be shorter than my old Bushnell Legend. I have a long action Savage and find that the rings are too far apart for the shorter tube.

Not being knowledgable with scopes and mounts, I'm wondering what the best route would be to take. What would be a better mount...a pictinny style one piece mount with my current Weaver style rings or should I go with extension rings? I have no idea what would be the more reliable/solid option.

spurly
10-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I have used weaver extension rings and have had good results

shirtr
10-03-2008, 11:33 PM
You can also try talley rings, they make some that should accommodate your needs.

kissacoyote
10-04-2008, 02:46 AM
You want to keep the centerline of your scope as close to the centerline of the bore as possible. Taller mounts might solve your spacing problem, but are not the best option because they raise your line-of-sight higher above the centerline of the bore (unless you don't care). You can get off-set mounts just for the problem you have. Being a shorter scope than the one you had, it is probably too far forward for proper eye relief. Determine which ring has to be relocated (or both), and get the offset mounts that will let you do that. I don't know where you are but Western Gun Parts in Edmonton has just about anything a guy could need. They are primarily a wholesale distributor, but do tolerate retail sales. It's not a place to "shop". They have a gazillion parts and will happily sell you what you need, but you have to know what you need.
If you live in the Edmonton area and have a good idea of what you need, go there and get fixed up: But don't go there and expect them to spend a lot of time on you. They are a parts supplier ONLY; not a gun shop. If you know what you want and they have it, you can get it.
Most offsets are in the 3/4" range, so if that's not enough, you might want to look at a longer scope.

wapiti11
10-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I have afew savage 110 actions which I have mounted Leupold Var X11 3x9 scopes. Extension rings made by weaver, leupold ex will solve your problem. Also offset bases are available and will reduce the mounting distance between the rings
wapiti11