PDA

View Full Version : Northern Snakehead

Birder
01-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Does anyone know if we are on the way to banning Northern Snakeheads yet? I just saw some guy trying to sell them on kijiji! Not a good idea in my opinion and it sounded like he had hundreds of babies. Probably just a matter of time before somebody who likes them as pets ruins good fishing for us here. Anyway I was just wondering if we can be reporting these sales to anyone before it becomes a problem? I know BC and Ontario have bans but hadn't heard about anywhere else.

pickrel pat
01-19-2014, 07:46 PM
Dont think they are able to take hold in alberta with our climate

burbotman
01-19-2014, 09:28 PM
Does anyone know if we are on the way to banning Northern Snakeheads yet? I just saw some guy trying to sell them on kijiji! Not a good idea in my opinion and it sounded like he had hundreds of babies. Probably just a matter of time before somebody who likes them as pets ruins good fishing for us here. Anyway I was just wondering if we can be reporting these sales to anyone before it becomes a problem? I know BC and Ontario have bans but hadn't heard about anywhere else.

The MSM has created such a hysteria over these. Frankenfish, walk on land, eat puppies, lock up your children.

Anyone have links to how they have decimated the fisheries on the east coast?

Don't get me wrong, invasives are problematic (Asian carp anyone) but the snakehead agenda is over the top

Btw if you had a big enough tank channa argus are great fish

Birder
01-20-2014, 04:33 PM
I agree that you always have to take information with a grain of salt, but I think sometimes they have to be over the top just to capture the short attention spans of the public and make them realize they are doing idiotic things (like releasing new species into the wild). Either way I was just wondering what Alberta's position on this was. Also from what I've read, these guys could survive cold temperatures but haven't seen the evidence yet.

Red Bullets
01-20-2014, 08:02 PM
From what I have read, several provinces are considering stopping the sale of live snakehead in pet stores and markets.

Sort of an odd fish. They can stay out of water for up to 3 days. Hope they don't take hold. I saw a video of a snakehead grabbing and inhaling a pike. They would dominate. I wouldn't be swimming in the lakes or rivers anymore.

oceanADDIKT
01-20-2014, 08:26 PM
They found some in the great lakes apparently there spreading

oceanADDIKT
01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
Put we got pike Muskie and pickerel so they will stop the spread

coors04
01-20-2014, 08:31 PM
From the little bit I have read on them it kinda depends on what kind the pet stores are selling. There are some that need 22-26c water to live and live in bodies of water 2 meters or less this type doesn't sound like a problem but who knows. No fish that is introduced is good for are native fish take gold fish for example they live in cold water I know they can't really kill anything but I'm sure they can bring in some nasty diseases who knows what they could have caught from a warm dirty fish tank. As mean as it sounds if you csn no longer look after your fish kill them put them in a ziplock and in the trash.

fish gunner
01-20-2014, 08:33 PM
Put we got pike Muskie and pickerel so they will stop the spread

Ahahahahaaa your kidding right firstly musky dont do well west of Ont &north of the 49º.:sHa_sarcasticlol: in the middle of summer pike need a thermal rfuge to continue feeding actively. Walleye can hardly keep up with most of the fishing pressure never mind a apex invasive.

pickrel pat
01-20-2014, 08:35 PM
They found some in the great lakes apparently there spreading

Source?

WayneChristie
01-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Source?

redwing shoestore handbook :bad_boys_20: another "epic" post

Redfrog
01-21-2014, 12:31 AM
So are these feral snakeheads, or did they come over on the Nina, the Pinta and The Santa Maria?:)

fish gunner
01-21-2014, 01:14 AM
So are these feral snakeheads, or did they come over on the Nina, the Pinta and The Santa Maria?:)

I think we can clasify them feral as there introduction has only occured in the last 5-10yrs and would only predate people with emigration cards .:) also there where abouts so far have been well documented, something we discard when it suits an agenda like say brown trout. :sHa_shakeshout:

burbotman
01-21-2014, 06:06 AM
From what I have read, several provinces are considering stopping the sale of live snakehead in pet stores and markets.

Sort of an odd fish. They can stay out of water for up to 3 days. Hope they don't take hold. I saw a video of a snakehead grabbing and inhaling a pike. They would dominate. I wouldn't be swimming in the lakes or rivers anymore.

Seriously?

Red Bullets
01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Seriously?

Well, I wouldn't skinny dip and have any 'bait' exposed. :)

I realize that the northen snakehead doesn't attack people. It is the giant snakehead that has been known to attack.

burbotman
01-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Well, I wouldn't skinny dip and have any 'bait' exposed. :)

I realize that the northen snakehead doesn't attack people. It is the giant snakehead that has been known to attack.

We can blame Jeremy Wade for this over exaggeration.

WayneChristie
01-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Im betting more people have been attacked by pike than snakeheads, in North America anyways :) they might attack pike but only smaller ones, big pike will eat them as easy as they would eat any other big fish including other pike.