PDA

View Full Version : Slave lake updates..

OttCan
01-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Any updates on ice thickness and fishing for slave lake? Fiancé and I will be heading up there next weekend, I've never been, just wondering what to expect.

Cheers!

Ps: any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Shmag
01-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Where on slave do you plan on going...I imagine the thickness will vary a lot from east to west. Nine mile point on the east end trucks have been driving on for weeks now.

But last night I went outside for a smoke, and wow...not sure if a heave broke open or if the ice dropped from weight...but it sounded like constant thunder and it went on for the whole time I was outside, probably 10 minutes at least. It sounded like it started in canyon creek and went all the way to slave lk. Then I did it again like that, then it started making that noise all over in different places. I've heard the ice pop, shift and crack before, but never like this...

OttCan
01-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Probably be going on from town, have sonar and a hut. How's ice thickness around there?

I've heard some wicked cracks before too, on a river though. Followed by 6 guys running out of their shack to move their trucks, which the were parked pretty close together. Darwin awards

Kokaneeranger
01-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Went to Joussard yesterday, crazy wind but fun nonetheless. It took all day but the four of us caught 8 keepers (walleyes). I caught 3 pike and a white as well, put the jack back and kept the white. The fishing was slow up until 2pm had a short burst of action then it stopped. Would have liked to have stayed until dark but had our fill of the wind. We unloaded by the church and sledded the 2kms to "shanty town", I heard its a slow year but I counted almost 50 shacks all in a row. There was a good 18-24" of ice where we were and about 20-25 fow, some people were driving there trucks out but there are soft spots that would worry me. We followed a guy on a quad and he had no issues