PDA

View Full Version : Kid friendly lakes in the St. Albert Area?

Fish2XS
01-20-2014, 03:55 PM
I will be venturing to Edmonton this weekend and was hoping to take my uncle and cousin out ice fishing. I am familiar with many of the lakes in the area but haven’t fished any of them myself. I am looking for suggestions for lakes within 45 min. of St. Albert preferably where I can drive my truck out on the ice and stand a good chance at catching a few fish. I was thinking of trying some C and R Pike fishing on Lake Wabamun near Fallis but was not sure if the ice is safe to drive on there. Does anyone have any info about ice thickness at Fallis? I was also interested in possibly exploring some of the stocked trout lakes in the area such as Star, Muir, Chickakoo and Morinville trout ponds. Does anyone have any info on these lakes or suggestions for lakes in the area that are kid friendly and easy to access?

FishingFrenzy
01-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Not much "safe" to drive on in my opinion. Guy's were doing it on Fallis but only ~14" of ice. Not enough IMO.

Area lakes will be similar somewhere between 12 and 14 inches.

This warm spell wont help either.

My advice is walk,quad, or sled on.

EDIT: just saw this thread. http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=206413

Point proven.

calrac
01-20-2014, 06:11 PM
You could try Devil's lake near Onoway for Pike. was there the past 2 weekends and caught some. I drove on but didn't venture very far just went where others were going, Ice was 14 to 16 inches close to the boat launch. Took my quad further seemed ok with quad didn't drill any holes just went for a ride.

HunterDave
01-20-2014, 06:47 PM
I was also interested in possibly exploring some of the stocked trout lakes in the area such as Star, Muir, Chickakoo and Morinville trout ponds. Does anyone have any info on these lakes or suggestions for lakes in the area that are kid friendly and easy to access?

Muir is a "special" lake for fly fishermen.....No ice fishing allowed! :character0053:

I don't think that you can drive on any of the others but you can park real close to where you're fishing at the Morinville Rez by the overpass.

Nakamun Lake was always great for perch, not sure about this year though. It's a blast for kids and you can drive right to where you are fishing. A few people have said that it may have winterkilled but I haven't been out there to see for myself. Doubt it.

mrbgamehunter
01-21-2014, 01:13 AM
I had to try nakamun myself, was out Sat for 2 hours near the island. Didn't see one fish on camera. 4 of us were fishing and nobody had a bite. There were only 3 other tents on the ice near boat launch. Nobody was catching anything. It's a lost cause this year.

Fish2XS
01-21-2014, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the helpful info. Doesn’t look like I will be able to drive my truck on the ice most places. What about Lac. St. Anne, has anyone been out on it lately? Does anyone have any more info on some of the local stocked trout ponds?

LCCFisherman
01-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Hasse Lake is my favorite spot to fish with kids.. Full of 12-14" perch and the odd TROPHY rainbow!! What a fishery!!!!!!!

1bluZebec
01-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Hasse Lake is my favorite spot to fish with kids.. Full of 12-14" perch and the odd TROPHY rainbow!! What a fishery!!!!!!!

Really?? When's the last time you were there? Would love to see a couple14" perch from an hour or less from town

Fish2XS
01-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Lol, I hear Hasse is teaming with walleye! Oh wait a second it winter killed last year and they all died. That water body was just an excellent choice for stocking large fall walleye fingerlings. Some very fine fisheries management and tax dollars well spent.

savethesalmon
01-21-2014, 12:44 PM
MMMMMMMM walleye fingerlings

LCCFisherman
01-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Just gotta blanch em!!

dmcbride
01-24-2014, 01:09 PM

I heard they killed the lake to get rid of the stickleback minnows.