PDA

View Full Version : Quality Gear

Georgio
01-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Got a nice pike on the weekend around 30+". Not a massive girl but the fun thing was that I got her on my ultra light fenwick rod, shimano Ci4 1000 and 100% fluorocarbon 2lb line with no leader while fishing for perch. Leaves me to think that if I had hooked it on some of my cheaper gear I don't think I would of iced her. Quality pays off I guess!!

fish gunner
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
Got a nice pike on the weekend around 30+". Not a massive girl but the fun thing was that I got her on my ultra light fenwick rod, shimano Ci4 1000 and 100% fluorocarbon 2lb line with no leader while fishing for perch. Leaves me to think that if I had hooked it on some of my cheaper gear I don't think I would of iced her. Quality pays off I guess!!

Wierd my 20 $ outfit done the same last yr. Great pike, lots of luck involved with landing a toothy critter with no leader. Well done.

WayneChristie
01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
well placed horseshoes more than quality gear. :bad_boys_20:

Georgio
01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Wierd my 20 $ outfit done the same last yr. Great pike, lots of luck involved with landing a toothy critter with no leader. Well done.

Definitely some luck involved there! Cheers

Bassett
01-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Good pike, but its all in the user. I prefer the less expensive gear because id rather have my money in my wallet.

WayneChristie
01-21-2014, 07:14 PM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin/2014/01/michigan-record-flathead%E2%80%94through-ice

Habfan
01-21-2014, 07:59 PM
I sure wouldn't want to lose a fish of a life time because I cheaped out, but then again sometimes you can't afford it.

EZM
01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
A quality drag system makes a big difference - so you need to rely on luck allot less.

If you can swing it in your budget - buy good stuff - that goes for many things in life - not just fishing gear.

"I can't afford to buy cheap gear" is my favorite saying ....

Habfan
01-21-2014, 08:43 PM
A quality drag system makes a big difference - so you need to rely on luck allot less.

If you can swing it in your budget - buy good stuff - that goes for many things in life - not just fishing gear.

Good saying !!

fish gunner
01-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Dont seem to get the big fish on the 60 $ shimano the 20 $ bass pro combo gets all the big fish, what can I say. Those that can do ,those that cant get all the stuff hoping one day they will.

Georgio
01-21-2014, 08:51 PM

Agreed. I'm sure the drag system and line quality resulted in a great fish. They wasn't even a wear mark or nick in the line afterwards.
In saying that buy what you can comfortably afford.

huntsfurfish
01-21-2014, 09:26 PM
well placed horseshoes more than quality gear. :bad_boys_20:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:)

OneGirlWolfPack
01-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Great catch! I agree with you about quality gear.

fish gunner
01-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Landing a 3lb pike on 2lb test has next to zero to do with gear. A spool of line in hand suffices. Not cutting line on one of a few hundred teeth luck . Your fishing through a hole in the ice. yes a smooth drag helped land the fish a few seconds quicker than a poor drag . How ever I suggest I have not found a poor drag at the reel display at bass pro. :)

Geezle
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
How ever I suggest I have not found a poor drag at the reel display at bass pro. :)

I'm guessing they don't keep their ice combos in that display ;)

*Many* ice reels are of very poor quality...almost totally plastic, and with very questionable drag systems.

I can buy an ice rod AND reel (probably two or three) for less money than I would spend on a half decent open water spinning reel. I wonder why? :thinking-006:

This is the reason I use my open water reels on my ice rods. A good drag goes a long way. :)

HuyFishin
01-22-2014, 09:29 AM
quality gear does make a difference, you can catch a fish using the cheapest gear, but overall more enjoyable using nice equipment.

I hate it when someone tells me a car only needs to take you from point A to B and all you need is a little cavalier or neon . I highly disagree and would much rather drive a BMW or Audi, Its just the thrill of driving something with more power, luxury and comfort.

Jamie Black R/T
01-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Landing a 3lb pike on 2lb test has next to zero to do with gear

id venture to guess that fish is a fair bit bigger than 3lbs

fish gunner
01-22-2014, 12:00 PM
id venture to guess that fish is a fair bit bigger than 3lbs

My bad, im not suggesting the OP's fish is 3lb im implying any pike heavier than lb test. Without a leader is a lucky catch no amount of skill or gear will change that. One roll that puts the line across it's teeth snap ,pow, gone. even if you have a deep sea penn costing thousands snap pow gone. Dont know how people dont see that. Ive caught many pike with out leaders luck and thats it.

Georgio
01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
My bad, im not suggesting the OP's fish is 3lb im implying any pike heavier than lb test. Without a leader is a lucky catch no amount of skill or gear will change that. One roll that puts the line across it's teeth snap ,pow, gone. even if you have a deep sea penn costing thousands snap pow gone. Dont know how people dont see that. Ive caught many pike with out leaders luck and thats it.

Notice I mentioned line as a part of the whole set up. I'm pretty sure but don't quote me that 100% fluorocarbon line is a lot better quality and has better abrasive resistance then the $2 run of the mill walmart or Canadian tire special...
An extra $10 well spent I think but hey each to their own. And I did make sure I lip hooked it as I was watching on the camera what was going on...
This thread wasn't meant to be an arguement on cheap vs expensive. I was just impressed I got that girl on the ice with the gear I was using.

Georgio
01-22-2014, 01:39 PM
In saying all that there's defiantly a lot of luck involved in fishing and most defiantly in my case. But as anglers there's also a lot we can do to reduce the amount of luck involved. Whether it be equipment used or just simple knowledge. The best part is I'm continuing to learn, I love the sport and this site helps in that process.

Cheers

Kokanee9
01-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Using an ultra-light rod and 2 lb test with no leader, what type of fish were you actually targeting?

Edit - I just saw the perch mentioned in the original post.

Adwittoutdoors
01-22-2014, 04:14 PM
You get what you pay for that's for sure. I learned that a while ago , the hard way. Unfortunately if you can't afford it then you shouldn't be doing it. Lol thanks Pops for that one.

Adwittoutdoors
01-22-2014, 04:23 PM
I caught a nice pike (2 ft , around 8 lbs ) last year without a leader. My hook was almost straight when got it out. Was using braided line. When I walked the horseshoes were clanging around alright. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

dodger
01-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Quality Gear vs Luck ???

In my boat I have an ice fishing rod/reel for Perch fishing. It has the same little silver lure on it with no leader for 5 years. I bet I have caught well over 30 Pike on it while jigging for Perch. Funny how such a tiny lure lip catches Pike but my bigger crank baits when trolling end up being swallowed to the poop chute??

Dodger.

huntsfurfish
01-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Notice I mentioned line as a part of the whole set up. I'm pretty sure but don't quote me that 100% fluorocarbon line is a lot better quality and has better abrasive resistance then the $2 run of the mill walmart or Canadian tire special...
An extra $10 well spent I think but hey each to their own. And I did make sure I lip hooked it as I was watching on the camera what was going on...
This thread wasn't meant to be an arguement on cheap vs expensive. I was just impressed I got that girl on the ice with the gear I was using.

Talented too:) Fish can inhale a lure in a fraction of a second.