PDA

View Full Version : Remember Your First Fish

Dale S
01-21-2014, 07:59 PM
With the great thread by outdoors forever,it got me thinking of my first fish. It was at Grantham Lake the summer 1970. My family would go there for a Sunday afternoon trip. I tried every time we went out with no luck. One Sunday while casting from shore I thought I snagged another weed. I didn't realise it was a pike until it was right in front of me. It scared the crap out of me. I'm going to dig threw the family photos and post the pic. I'm sure it was the same size as the one outdoors forever's daughter, Mandi caught. Lets hear your story.

fish gunner
01-21-2014, 08:23 PM
4yrs old hand lining mackerel , l remember getting three first time down. I was hooked for life.:sHa_shakeshout:

chad66
01-21-2014, 08:31 PM
My grandfather took me fishing to Gregoire Lake in the early 70's. We just called it Anzac back then. I caught a pike about 5 or 6 pounds. I remember it like yesterday. He showed me how to make a whistle out of a smooth willow limb on that same trip....Good thread.

pickrel pat
01-21-2014, 08:35 PM
First was a perch at pine lake
Second was a perch at dillberry
Third was a pike in town of manning at the weir
Late 70s

bwackwabbit
01-21-2014, 08:45 PM
4yrs old, off the dock at Grandad's cabin on lake Ni****ing. A worm under a bobber and I had my first one, Sunfish (Pumpkinseed) followed by a lot more.

Funny how that's still my favorite way to fish.

outdoors forever
01-21-2014, 08:47 PM
I actually have NO idea when or what my first fish was - my dad started taking us kids out at a very young age as well. I love the fact that I can do the same with my children.

I do remember a photo of me in one of my parents old photo albums with a dandy pike, I believe I was about five, so right around Mandys age. I believe it was on Utikima Lake around 1985 or so.

I am going to try to find that pic and scan it, and post it up.

BassDude
01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
3years old - 6 or 7 inch Perch at Wellman Lake, MB '72....my dad begged me to let it go but I insisted we eat it. I still remember the small bacon strip fillets in the frypan on the old Coleman. I also remember being 5 or 6 and taking the Winnipeg Waterworks Train with my dad on a day trip to Shoal Lake,ON and literally catching walleye literally every cast from shore into a weedy bay....my dad loved that trip so much he bought land on the lake where our family cabin still sits today. Awesome memories - great thread.

pickrel pat
01-21-2014, 09:14 PM
3years old - 6 or 7 inch Perch at Wellman Lake, MB '72....my dad begged me to let it go but I insisted we eat it. I still remember the small bacon strip fillets in the frypan on the old Coleman. I also remember being 5 or 6 and taking the Winnipeg Waterworks Train with my dad on a day trip to Shoal Lake,ON and literally catching walleye literally every cast from shore into a weedy bay....my dad loved that trip so much he bought land on the lake where our family cabin still sits today. Awesome memories - great thread.

Bacon strip fillets. Haha

f_train22
01-21-2014, 09:15 PM
12 inch perch at Loon Lake Saskatchewan...what a thrill!

WayneChristie
01-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Little trout on the Elbow River just up from the campground at Bragg Creek, probably a rainbow, smashed the head with a rock so it was pretty much just a body when I took it back to the campground, didnt go far with 5 kids and parents, but I think it tasted good. May have a picture around somewhere, black and white of course. got me hooked for sure. do remember my mom dragging however many of us there were at the time, probably only 2 or 3 of us back then, Kemptville River, safety pin string and a stick, never caught anything but kept me interested for sure. think it was before automobiles were invented, sure feels that way :bad_boys_20:

wags
01-21-2014, 09:21 PM
I was 12, and me and a buddy fished the Picture Butte reservoir for half a summer with nothing. Every day we'd try somewhere new, but we never had even a bite. One day he says to me he knows a spot, and off on our bikes we went. We stopped at the outlet, and ended up catching 6 pike in 8 casts! He couldn't believe he was actually right lol. Back then they were easy 8 pounders, but in reflection, probably more like 2-3 pounders. It was a good rest of the summer after that!

Cheers

Hunter1602
01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
6 years old with my father. I caught a Rock Cod off one of the Gulf Islands.

azn_rice_man
01-22-2014, 12:26 AM
95, Calaway park school trip... Thought fishing was an interesting idea so I spent a couple hours trying to catch one of those farmed beasts. Landed a 2lber or so and was hooked ever since!

pinelakeperch
01-22-2014, 12:30 AM
First was a perch at pine lake
Second was a perch at dillberry
Third was a pike in town of manning at the weir
Late 70s

Me too! I can't say I remember my first perch, we'd catch them by the bucket full. I sure do remember my first pike, it was also caught at Pine. Early 90s.

The tug was and always will be the drug:)

bisonhunter
01-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Mami lake just east of Waterton 1972. I was 3 going on 4. Golden nugget salmon eggs and corn on a homemade pickerel rig. I can still see that little stocked rainbow in my hands to this day ……..that was the day the fever started.
to date I have not found a cure

dragon
01-22-2014, 07:53 AM
First fish I caught was with my uncle on the north Saskatchewan. I caught a gold eye and remember we kept it in an ice cream pail so I could show my parents. It was so hot that day the fish was half rotten by the time we got it home.

My best fishing memory was my dad's first fish when we went on our very first father son fishing trip to Jasper. I remember him yelling down the shore of the Miette river and me looking and seeing his rod bent over with a little brook trout on the end. We both ended up catching some that day.

Last summer I had the privledge of taking my family there and catching fish in the same spot.

AS a father I remember when my son caught his first trout on maligne lake two years ago. He had caught many walleye and pike but the trout was special.

binnzer32
01-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Started real young in ontario. . Remember rainbows and specs. Rainbows trolling in the spring in between lafontaine and collingwood. Fished georgian bay extensively for 20 years before making move west. Don't remember my first exact fish though

Alberta Redneck
01-22-2014, 01:09 PM
My 1st Fish was a 6lb Rainbow Trout taken off the dock at Ten Mile Lake, BC, with your standard worm and bobber, in 1982. Fishing by myself, some dude tore the head right off it, remember carrying it back to the campsite like I was carrying wood. Proud of my headless Trout

drhook
01-22-2014, 03:04 PM
1969 at 5 years old, My new step dad took me to Police lake. I hooked onto my first fish that to me, felt like it was going to pull the rod out of my hands. I tried to give the rod to my new dad and he said "No, you reel it in" I think it took awhile to land it but 44 years later I remember it as a monster.

SCHOOCH
01-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I was about 5 yrs old and my dad and uncle took me fishing for my 1st time. We were on Georgian Bay fishing off shore with a good ole bobber and worm when i caught a crappie........my dad/uncle started yelling crappie but all i heard was crappy....i got back to the campsite where my mom/aunt were and started crying that they were mean to me and told me i caught a crappy fish.......live and learn i guess!!!!!!

BobLoblaw
01-22-2014, 05:27 PM
I don't actually remember my first fish.
I was born in Corner Brook, Newfoundland in 1964 with a codfish in one hand & a skivver of mud trout in the other.

greylynx
01-22-2014, 05:31 PM
5 years old. 8 pound Rainbow out of Francois Lake in B.C.

boy did that feel good.

GregT
01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
about 5 yrs old at long lake. it felt so big i had to lean back on the front of the wind shield from the bow so i wasnt pulled in. there was some massive air shrinkage as the pike was only about 2lb, but it was my first and was caught on a two tail tiger jig.

Forest Techer
01-22-2014, 09:48 PM
The first fish I remember was a trout at landslide lake with my father. He was setting up camp and I had to back up the rocks to get this monster trout out of the lake (Not enough drag of course in hindsight). Ha ha covered it in a couple rocks because I was so scared it would get away then ran down the rocks to get the old man. Caught 2 that late afternoon and they were delicious. Probably the first fish I ever ate too.

GTZ
01-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Early eights, I was probably six. Caught a decent sized pike off the dock at Lac Ste.Anne on a Len Thompson red devil. Never been so excited, remember it like it was yesterday.

NCFlyfishin
01-22-2014, 11:38 PM
It was a sunfish in a small pond in Ontario, not very big, but it was fun and a good memory, been hooked on fishin ever since lol

Rafter1
01-23-2014, 12:36 AM
July 1954 just west of Radium where Horsethief creek enters the Columbia caught a 10 inch rainbow on a #6 red and white Len Thompson went back there this summer same bridge where I caught the fish is still there what a great memory

densa44
01-23-2014, 08:23 AM
It was in the Ottawa river and I was in grade 6, I caught it on a yellow spotted flatfish. I rode home with the fish on a stringer suspended from the handle bars. I put it in a set tub full of water in our basement. Now after all the ridicule I got for never catching anything my parents had promised to eat it. That was until my mother found it swimming around in the set tub!

The 5 mile trip back to the river with the live fish was by car! First live release.

Wild&Free
01-23-2014, 09:37 AM
I seem to remember my first fish being the only Walleye we caught on an outing to Fawcett Lake. Dad, brother and boarder who was living with us all caught perch... Though memory being fuzzy a trip to Grouard under the bridge where the 12-14" perch would chase my jig right up to the boat, where dad would net the hooked one and the unhooked ones in one swoop seems to be an earlier memory.

Either way, both moments filled me with pride at my angling prowess and I've been hooked ever since.

nekred
01-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Don't remember it but there is a photo of me at pine lake very young with a fish

J D
01-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Don't remember but have seen pics

It was a little coastal cuttie caught on a worm on the bottom

nekred
01-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Best one is my own boys,

They all started off with trout... now I have a 10 year old who is an avid fly fisherman and has even caught a 5lb trout with a fly tied by himself with his own hair as the tail....

First fish ice fishing for hime was a 6lb pike when we were fishing for perch!...

Freedom55
01-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Keho Lake, Spring 1961. 36" pike on a red & white spoon from shore. 6 yrs. old and 3'6" tall. I bet I fished that lake 500 times in the following 5 years. Explains why I don't target pike and hate them as a by-catch.

That pond was full of monsters then and everyone was catching big northerns. I one time saw a boy nearly lose a finger while dangling a spoon over a pail of dead (?) fish. Scared the crap outta him and me.

Free (to trip down memory lane)