PDA

View Full Version : Lake whitefish help

northshore71
10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Hoping for at least one more trip out in the boat before it has to be put away and was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to catch lake whitefish on spinning equipment. Have heard wire-worms work but what is the technique,off bottom?,near the top?,just a wire-worm or do u bait that as well?,time of day,depth of water etc.Any input would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

dodger
10-05-2008, 05:26 AM
I watched the Alberta Fishing show where they went to McGregor for Whitefish in the late fall. They were fishing a bay because that was where the Whites started to gather. They used a regular bobber with a wire worm about 2' down. The secret was to have a really tight knot on the worm so that you could turn it at a 90 degree angle on your line. I,m hoping to try it out before the end of the month.
Dodger.

seahawkfisher
10-05-2008, 09:36 AM
don't be affraid to throw a maggot (or half a powerbait maggie) on there as well
cheers

hit1987
10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I caught couples of lake whitefishes, but hard to tell the strike because the bobber hardly moved. Can anyone help what is the best to tell a whitefish strike. thanks.

northshore71
10-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies,maybe i'll get another shot at it this weekend.

laobei
10-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Hoping for at least one more trip out in the boat before it has to be put away and was wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to catch lake whitefish on spinning equipment. Have heard wire-worms work but what is the technique,off bottom?,near the top?,just a wire-worm or do u bait that as well?,time of day,depth of water etc.Any input would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

You can use the OVAL SLIP FLOATS (from THILL FLOATS (LINDY)) with red wire worm. You can set the stopper around 6' - 7' deep. The float will sink when whitefish strike. You have to set the hook really quick becasue the fish will spit out the hook once they suck the hook in and find out it is not the real thing. This suck and spit out action could only take a couple of seconds.

iliketrout
10-09-2008, 05:36 PM
On Fishing alberta they did the same technique as McGregor and had lots of action. I guess a boat and sonar would be key!

BigBuck$
10-09-2008, 09:00 PM
I jig with 1" Mr Twisters. Seems to work for me.

pecker
10-12-2008, 02:49 PM
You can use the OVAL SLIP FLOATS (from THILL FLOATS (LINDY)) with red wire worm. You can set the stopper around 6' - 7' deep. The float will sink when whitefish strike. You have to set the hook really quick becasue the fish will spit out the hook once they suck the hook in and find out it is not the real thing. This suck and spit out action could only take a couple of seconds.

an orange , brown or red wireworm 90 degrees to your line . you only have a SPLIT second to set your hook. sight fishing them on hard water is a thrill . they come in quickly and the SPLIT second they suck it in -- you set-- even then we miss a few . tight lines . :wave:

Highcountry
10-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Anyone try this with a fly rod Ive heard of guys doing it but never tried it myself?

dodger
10-13-2008, 06:00 PM
I tried the fly rod on Sunday and picked up 2 Whitefish with a small bead head nymph. It took a full hour to get the 2 but they weren't in the shallows yet. They were schooling up outside of some bays ( BIG Schools ) in about 12' of water. I bet by next weekend there could possibly be some seriously good fishing for them in the bays.
Dodger.