PDA

View Full Version : taking son ice fishing

Thundercatcher
01-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Going to take my son ice fishing this weekend . I'm new to Red Deer. Any suggestions ? Will be just walking on

wags
01-24-2014, 05:19 PM
Going to take my son ice fishing this weekend . I'm new to Red Deer. Any suggestions ? Will be just walking on

Hi Thundercatcher,

Welcome to Red Deer!

Depending on what you want to fish and how far you want to go, Pike, Walleye, Whitefish in Sylvan Lake and Gull Lake, Perch and Burbot in Gull as well (not totally sure about Sylvan). Sylvan is about 20 mins and Gull is another 10 further. The Brownlow's entrance seems very popular at Gull. Zip-in-Z has a great thread running on Sylvan - http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=202352

Dickson Trout pond will have Pike and Trout. It's about 35 mins from Red Deer or so, towards Caroline.

More locally is several ponds throughout the city, although I don't know any rules regarding ice fishing. I'm sure they would be posted there or on the internet somewhere. They would include Bower Ponds, Three Mile Bend, McKenzie Trails and the Riverbend/Discovery Canyon ponds. Mostly small pike, but the odd Walleye or trout might be found - remnants of the Red Deer River flooding over.

GL and send me a PM if I can help you further.

Cheers

binnzer32
01-24-2014, 05:24 PM
Thunder catcher.. gps birch bay rd and access gull lake there. Short walk or drive on. I walk. .. go a bit to your left away from all the others. 4-8 feet for whites or 10-12 feet for pike and burbot with occasional whites. Use power bait yellow or orange with a jighead with red blade and a smelt. You will catch pike abd burbot and lots of perch too if you want. Email me if you need more info. Binnzer32@live.com. good luck