PDA

View Full Version : private or not private ?

chop
01-25-2014, 02:42 PM
went out to mink lake to day and some guys from the trailer park came out and told me it's private and needed to leave and that i would get towed from the road . bs or not ???

DiabeticKripple
01-25-2014, 02:47 PM
if you were parked on their driveway you could get towed, but no one owns the lake. the crown does.

chop
01-25-2014, 02:53 PM
i was park on the side of the road 770 . no drives around there?

DiabeticKripple
01-25-2014, 02:57 PM
all that matters is where you parked. the lake is public and they have no right to tell you to leave.

if you parked on the side of the highway, only the rcmp can tow you

1bluZebec
01-25-2014, 03:03 PM
If you pay the $10 at the store they will allow you on the lake summer and winter. You can park in campground.

Coulee
01-25-2014, 03:38 PM
I actually had a guy, who was from Switzerland, tell me to leave a large Alberta river once. He ran a campground and thought I was trespassing by walking along the river fishing. He was really rude and pushy. I explained the law to him regarding Crown Land and Navigable Water. He wouldn't stop hassling me until I enquired about his ability to swim.

TomE
01-25-2014, 04:40 PM
I actually had a guy, who was from Switzerland, tell me to leave a large Alberta river once. He ran a campground and thought I was trespassing by walking along the river fishing. He was really rude and pushy. I explained the law to him regarding Crown Land and Navigable Water. He wouldn't stop hassling me until I enquired about his ability to swim.

On the Old Man River off the Trunk Rd?

ddddd05
01-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Hey Coulee, good to hear you stood up for your rights. Riverbanks and crown land are to be enjoyed by everyone.

pickrel pat
01-26-2014, 01:29 AM

like.

YeeHaw
01-26-2014, 08:18 AM
I had the same issue with those Mink lake retards in 06, I had a guy come out on the lake and try telling me "the whole lake" was private property, and I must pay a fee to use it. I told him that I came in from the quad trail on the north side, and came across the lake, so I'm not parking on anyone's property, but was insistent that I pay. I told him where to go, and he advised me he was calling the RCMP. I fished for about another hour, cops never did show up.

thumper
01-26-2014, 04:41 PM
Next time offer to call Fish & Wildlife or the RCMP with him, and have him charged with interfering with your legal right to fish in public waters.

CanuckShooter
01-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Next time offer to call Fish & Wildlife or the RCMP with him, and have him charged with interfering with your legal right to fish in public waters.

And tape him with your phone so he cannot deny it....

Pikebreath
01-26-2014, 05:12 PM
delete - double post

Pikebreath
01-26-2014, 05:35 PM
I had the same issue with those Mink lake retards in 06, I had a guy come out on the lake and try telling me "the whole lake" was private property, and I must pay a fee to use it. I told him that I came in from the quad trail on the north side, and came across the lake, so I'm not parking on anyone's property, but was insistent that I pay. I told him where to go, and he advised me he was calling the RCMP. I fished for about another hour, cops never did show up.

Just wondering what makes a quad trail public access?

Are there any road allowances that actually touch the lake shore? Mink is not a big lake. It is possible that the whole lake could be surrounded by private land in which case with access is controlled by private landowner(s).

It is illegal to charge access fees for hunting over private land, but my understanding is that fees for access through private land can be charged for watersports like fishing and boating. I stand to be corrected if I am mistaken.

YeeHaw
01-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Just wondering what makes a quad trail public access?

Are there any road allowances that actually touch the lake shore? Mink is not a big lake. It is possible that the whole lake could be surrounded by private land in which case with access is controlled by private landowner(s).

It is illegal to charge access fees for hunting over private land, but my understanding is that fees for access through private land can be charged for watersports like fishing and boating. I stand to be corrected if I am mistaken.

I actually took the time to go talk to the people that live on the north end of the lake, by the quad trail to ask permission to access it, they said that as far as they knew it was CN property. Maybe I should be writing a cheque to CN Rail, what do you think?

waterninja
01-27-2014, 02:48 AM
I actually took the time to go talk to the people that live on the north end of the lake, by the quad trail to ask permission to access it, they said that as far as they knew it was CN property. Maybe I should be writing a cheque to CN Rail, what do you think?
at least the train engineer won't put a bullet hole in your truck like the last time. lol.

Ironsights
01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Mink Lake shows up on the Alberta Land Titles web site SPIN2 as non-titled land...aka Crown Land.

B-rett
01-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Yeah, no one owns the water, maaaan.

Coldone
01-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Almost makes a guy want to grab a bunch of buddies and hold an informal icefishing derby.. 30 guys and family would shut them up REAL fast..

Tigger72
01-28-2014, 09:24 AM
Almost makes a guy want to grab a bunch of buddies and hold an informal icefishing derby.. 30 guys and family would shut them up REAL fast..

That would be funny!!!:argue2:

#4fisherman
01-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Count me in for that event!

canamdon
01-28-2014, 05:15 PM
I'd be there with ya!!!!!!!!!!!

Just not the 16th of February!

Don

pikergolf
01-28-2014, 05:27 PM
While the water may be public, although there is some private waters in Canada (rare), the land to access it might be private property. And no they don't have to allow access across private property.

chop
01-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Mink Lake shows up on the Alberta Land Titles web site SPIN2 as non-titled land...aka Crown Land.
is that the lake or some of the land around it ?

Ironsights
01-28-2014, 06:41 PM
The NE corner of the lake lies within the SE 33-52-2-5. The limits of the lake on the Land Titles site shows a portion of the lake bound on the east by the west limit of the north-south government road allowance, at and north of the 90 degree bend of the existing gravel road as seen on google earth. The water itself does not reach the road and it appears the farm that lies in the NE portion of the SE of section 33 is farming crown land. This is the only area I can see that would provide public access to the lake. There may be a chance the farming operation has obtained an agreement with the Crown to farm the area, but if I was wanting access to the lake without being held hostage by private land owners that surround the remainder of the lake I would explore this access point.

SDKiller
01-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Im with you all i will join the fishing trip in a heart beat. I live fairly close and wanted to take the kids fishing one day and got told i needed to pay a fee to get on. I can understand charging people to use the camp sites and all but to be suck dikkks about driving on the road to fish the lake makes me sick. I pretty angry. If they still treat people like this then I hope carma bites them in the arse real hard. Count me in anytime..

chop
01-28-2014, 08:06 PM
The NE corner of the lake lies within the SE 33-52-2-5. The limits of the lake on the Land Titles site shows a portion of the lake bound on the east by the west limit of the north-south government road allowance, at and north of the 90 degree bend of the existing gravel road as seen on google earth. The water itself does not reach the road and it appears the farm that lies in the NE portion of the SE of section 33 is farming crown land. This is the only area I can see that would provide public access to the lake. There may be a chance the farming operation has obtained an agreement with the Crown to farm the area, but if I was wanting access to the lake without being held hostage by private land owners that surround the remainder of the lake I would explore this access point.
can you post were you found this info , i'm interested in finding out if there is public access some were . on google maps on the north end shows a service road that runs parallel with the tracks?
ps any weekend i'm in for a derby lol

mrbgamehunter
01-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Another lake I would love to find a way on is Lake Eden. It is completely surrounded by private land.

Kokanee9
01-28-2014, 08:41 PM
While the water may be public, although there is some private waters in Canada (rare), the land to access it might be private property. And no they don't have to allow access across private property.

Bearspaw Dam access comes to mind for most of this thread.

Ironsights
01-29-2014, 12:04 PM
The web site for Alberta Land Titles is called SPIN2 (google it). You can create a guest account and utilize the system. If you want to purchase the certified title for a parcel of land, legal plans, registerd documents etc. you will need to use a credit card at $10.00 per title. You can search by several means like legal survey plan, legal land description, title number etc. The interactive map will provide identifiers for titled land and non-titled like roadways and lakes etc.