PDA

View Full Version : Gull lake

NCFlyfishin
01-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, I am planning on going out to Gull lake for the first time on Tuesday, it would be really nice if someone could tell me where to go to catch my first ever lake white or burbot, perch would be nice as well though, so without giving away a secret spot could someone please point me in the right direction? I'm guessing people just use smelts near bottom for burbot and wire worms with maggot for whites and perch?
Thanks
NC

EZM
01-25-2014, 09:07 PM
You have the hard part figured out ......... now just find the village on ice and you are probably near a good spot ..... follow the beaten trails.

Icatchfish
01-25-2014, 09:34 PM
^^^^^ what he said, head north on range road 10 and you'll find the village. once on the lake head east and you'll be in the less weedy bed. head north and you'll see more weeds. sounds like you got your baits right

have fun and let us know how it goes

NCFlyfishin
01-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the replies!

pikester
01-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, I am planning on going out to Gull lake for the first time on Tuesday, it would be really nice if someone could tell me where to go to catch my first ever lake white or burbot, perch would be nice as well though, so without giving away a secret spot could someone please point me in the right direction? I'm guessing people just use smelts near bottom for burbot and wire worms with maggot for whites and perch?
Thanks
NC

Not sure it would do much good to give "secret spots" away anyhow, the fish seem to be moving around quite a bit anyway, especially the perch. I was out at Brownlows yesterday & it took me 3hours of moving & drilling before I could find any; there were none to be found anywhere close to where I was catching them a week ago & a regular I talked to said they've moved even from where he was seeing them 2 days ago.

The burbot were swiming around like crazy but not very aggressive, had 3 or 4 swim right past my jig & minnow like it wasn't even there. Had a couple hits from pike but missed them both. Whites were pretty hit & miss, the guys who were dialed in did ok I think but they were pretty finicky for every everyone else, could have been the impending weather change yesterday!

I think the biggest thing I've learned about fishing at Brownlows is be willing to move around a bit. Unless you have GPS coordinates or a permanent shack set up on a honey hole or can't miss structure, the fish do move around the bay quite a bit & can be a bit of work to find them some days! In the past I've made the mistake of going out to one spot, drilling 6 or 7 holes, then spending a whole day getting only 1 or 2 bites thinking it was just a crappy day. Then I would get home & read someones post from that day about how they limited out on perch & whitefish as well as a couple pike & burbot & wondering "What the .....?

Having said that there are a few areas that have a lot of flood ice so be very careful about where you choose to get off the beaten path, the area directly east-south east off the access point 100 yards or so is especially bad. I just about got caught in it yesterday, ice seemed fine 1 moment then boom, I was just about up to the axles the next! Luckily I put the pedal to the metal & was able to power back out of it but the 'ole heart was racing like crazy! There's another bad one a couple hundred yards from shore on the north-east part of the bay as well but that one was easier to see, it looks like a huge wet spot.
Hopefully this cold snap will fix up some of these spots & make it a little safer & easier to get around more next week.

Good luck & tight lines to all who get out in the next week!

NCFlyfishin
01-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Anyone know how thick the ice is? Just wondering because all I have is a hand auger and if we will be moving around a lot it can kind of become a pain
Thanks

Mudder Man
01-26-2014, 12:01 PM
NC

For the most part I have seen 18 to 20 inches of Ice. Now that this freeze is here we will have a few more inches due to the Snow Melt and Flood water. Was a lot of water on the ice yesterday where I was.

MM

NCFlyfishin
01-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Thanks mudder man

muskokagould
01-26-2014, 08:15 PM
about 5 FOW found 14" of crappy ice right of brownlows today, everyehere else has been 18-20 every trip thought it was odd.

oh and gf says shes never staying in the hut again. was super windy last night had to anchor it to the ice. put a 4x4 down a hole with a rachet strap to the floor runner, because we woke up about 1:30am to it starting to slide.

she was so unimpressed was quite funny.