PDA

View Full Version : New marine GPS/ Sonar/ Depth combo

newguy
01-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Help!! Wa yyyyy to many to choose from!!

I want one that has gps sonar and depth.

Looking at the hummingbird 778c HD now. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed.

Do you guys use a different battery? I was advised to get a deep cycle battery combo instead of a regular battery.

Many thanks!

EZM
01-26-2014, 03:40 PM
That unit is a fantastic choice ..........best unit, with the best features for that price point...

As far as a battery goes - definitely get a deep cycle battery if you are going to a full size battery.

huntsfurfish
01-26-2014, 04:26 PM
:):):)Or you could get an Lowrance HDS 5 gen 2. for about 650 top line unit:)

Had to say it:evilgrin:

That said lots of good units on either side of the fence.:)

EZM prefers Lowrance units:sHa_shakeshout:

dodger
01-26-2014, 05:56 PM
EZM prefers Lowrance units:sHa_shakeshout:[/QUOTE]

So does Dodger :budo:

npauls
01-26-2014, 06:14 PM
Look at the Lowrance HDS touch screen 12.

If I could afford it I would have one on my boat. How bad ass would it be to be anchored up hammering walleyes on a nice summer evening with a movie playing on the sonar. :sHa_shakeshout:

newguy
01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys. Those touch screens are sweet but ouch, not cheap. Bass pro has a few one sale now so I'll have another look. They give a decent discount on the install if I get one there.

EZM
01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Humminbird !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't listen to Huntsfurfish ....... his tour sponsors pay for him to love Lowrance .......... he is sore I went over to Humminbird last year due to better features and new innovations on the market, not yet available, at that time, from Lowrance ....

- Dual card slots on units at lower price points
- i-pilot and i-pilot link technology
- map and mapping features through your PC
- Ethernet compatibility at lower price points
- no "extra added cost" or "hardware" to get HD down and side imaging.

At this price point there is only one clear choice ............. Humminbird

I was a long time Lowrance guy - but my 2014 boat was built on Humminbird technology ..... Lowrance is still trying to catch up. Good news is competition creates innovation and Lowrance has come out with some pretty cool things over the last few months .... but they are not quite there .............

I buy the best products I can .......... from 2012 to now .......... that has got to be Humminbird ............ compare for yourself ........... this is particularly true of mid priced to top of line products ......

huntsfurfish
01-26-2014, 07:17 PM
:):sHa_shakeshout::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lowrance

lol

newguy
01-26-2014, 08:17 PM
No matter what I choose there will be a bigger, better, badder etc...

:angry3:

67ZL1
01-26-2014, 08:29 PM
I ran lowrance till last spring and rigged up my new ProV with Bird. Boy do I ever not regret making that decision. I personally find Birds way more user friendly. Just my 2 cents! but my next boat will have Birds in it.

Lornce
01-26-2014, 09:06 PM
I bought a Lowrance Elite-7 last year and absolutely love it.

EZM
01-26-2014, 09:25 PM
This is like a Ford vs. Chevy thing ......... except that the birds have way more features for the money ...........

Maybe like a Crestliner vs. Lund ........

Or Mercury vs. Honda ........

Go with a GMC, pulling a Lund with Honda sporting a few Humminbirds ............ now you have the best !!!!!!!!

bobalong
01-27-2014, 12:24 AM
I had Lowrance on my boat for years, until a few years after Navico bought them out. I now have the "birds" on the Sylvan (898 SI combo) and the (798 SI combo) on the Pontoon boat.

JohninAB
01-27-2014, 05:53 AM
Lowrance by far is the best choice. Get the HDS5 Gen2 and don't look back.

AppleJax
01-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Go with the Chevrolet. Clearly the best choice! Oh...... Navionics and a Marcum flasher, my bad......

Walleyedude
01-27-2014, 08:13 AM
The 'Bird units might be easier to use for some at first when compared to the non-touch HDS models. They do have a couple of unique features, and they are slightly cheaper.

The Lowrance units have better GPS sensitivity, very comparable features, and are simply better at displaying the bottom and marking fish.

I guess everyone needs to decide for themselves which is more important to them and what the best value is.

EZM
01-27-2014, 11:27 AM
The Lowrance units have better GPS sensitivity, very comparable features, and are simply better at displaying the bottom and marking fish.

How is that possible ????

The receiver technology (GPS/WAAS and subsequent positional accuracy ) is identical isn't it ...... ?

The target separation, peak power and operating frequency, as well as the resolutions appear to be the same as well ............. (on comparable HD units) ..... ????

Where are you getting this info from ????? Just curious??? ........I could be wrong ....

In terms of comparable features can you comment on Lowrances "comparable feature" based on the Birds;

a) I Pilot
b) I pilot link
c) built in down imaging
d) built in side imaging
e) 360 technology
f) PC interface and way point conversion (overlay)
g) CannonLink (or down rigger controller)

I don't see ANY of those feature on ANY of the Lowrance units at a similar price point or in the case of a few examples in ANY unit ....

Maybe I'm wrong .......

Humminbird has more technological advantages and/or features when most of the list isn't available AT ANY PRICE from Lowrance ........... is it?????

If you don't use these features ........ cool .......... but compare apples to apples with data driven information and technical data and see what you come up with.

:thinking-006:

Walleyedude
01-27-2014, 01:29 PM
How is that possible ????

The receiver technology (GPS/WAAS and subsequent positional accuracy ) is identical isn't it ...... ?

The target separation, peak power and operating frequency, as well as the resolutions appear to be the same as well ............. (on comparable HD units) ..... ????

Where are you getting this info from ????? Just curious??? ........I could be wrong ....

Stats out of a brochure are great and all, but I based my comment on time on the water with both. The GPS in the Lowrance units reacts faster and gives a better presentation of boat position and heading when you're fishing the spot on the spot. Waypoint management is more efficient as well in my opinion.

In my experience, the Lowrance units also provide a better picture of what's under the water, both in 2D and Side/Down imaging.

In terms of comparable features can you comment on Lowrances "comparable feature" based on the Birds;

a) I Pilot
b) I pilot link
c) built in down imaging
d) built in side imaging
e) 360 technology
f) PC interface and way point conversion (overlay)
g) CannonLink (or down rigger controller)

I don't see ANY of those feature on ANY of the Lowrance units at a similar price point or in the case of a few examples in ANY unit ....

Maybe I'm wrong .......

Humminbird has more technological advantages and/or features when most of the list isn't available AT ANY PRICE from Lowrance ........... is it?????

If you don't use these features ........ cool .......... but compare apples to apples with data driven information and technical data and see what you come up with.

:thinking-006:

I did compare apples to apples.

IPilot is not relevant.

The Lowrance version of ILink was released this year, the Motorguide Xi5. Early info and reviews look very promising, I guess time will tell. The pricing on the Motorguide is really attractive though.

Side imaging and down imaging are as simple as adding an LSS2 box or if you have touch units, a lone transducer. Maybe not as simple or "built in", but you pay additional for SS/DS capable 'Bird units over the standard units as well.

Spotlight Scan has also been released this year. It's currently only available for cable drive trolling motors, but you can bet it will be electric steer compatible in the very near future.

PC interface has been available for Lowrance for several years now. Insight Genesis is an amazing tool, and they dropped the price significantly.

Cannonlink is a great feature if you're a downrigger fisherman, I'll give 'Bird that one.

I know you've become a die hard Humminbird guy, so you'll likely take exception to this post as well. So to be clear, I think the 'Birds are great units too, I'm simply stating my opinion based on my experience.

JohninAB
01-27-2014, 01:57 PM
This is like a Ford vs. Chevy thing ......... except that the birds have way more features for the money ...........

Maybe like a Crestliner vs. Lund ........

Or Mercury vs. Honda ........

Go with a GMC, pulling a Lund with Honda sporting a few Humminbirds ............ now you have the best !!!!!!!!

Was that the same Lund with a Honda and a few Humminbirds that Geezle and I saw spinning in circles off Fallis last year as we went by in my Crestliner with a Merc and a Lowrance HDS7 Gen2?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Had to take my shot when I saw it!

wellpastcold
01-27-2014, 03:09 PM
:):sHa_shakeshout::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lowrance

lol

X infinity

EZM
01-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Was that the same Lund with a Honda and a few Humminbirds that Geezle and I saw spinning in circles off Fallis last year as we went by in my Crestliner with a Merc and a Lowrance HDS7 Gen2?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Had to take my shot when I saw it!

LOL - yup - might have been some operator error there ........ lol.

Note to self ........ don't mash buttons while trying to use I-pilot and setting up new tracks.

EZM
01-27-2014, 06:46 PM
Stats out of a brochure are great and all, but I based my comment on time on the water with both. The GPS in the Lowrance units reacts faster and gives a better presentation of boat position and heading when you're fishing the spot on the spot. Waypoint management is more efficient as well in my opinion.

In my experience, the Lowrance units also provide a better picture of what's under the water, both in 2D and Side/Down imaging.

I did compare apples to apples.

IPilot is not relevant.

The Lowrance version of ILink was released this year, the Motorguide Xi5. Early info and reviews look very promising, I guess time will tell. The pricing on the Motorguide is really attractive though.

Side imaging and down imaging are as simple as adding an LSS2 box or if you have touch units, a lone transducer. Maybe not as simple or "built in", but you pay additional for SS/DS capable 'Bird units over the standard units as well.

Spotlight Scan has also been released this year. It's currently only available for cable drive trolling motors, but you can bet it will be electric steer compatible in the very near future.

PC interface has been available for Lowrance for several years now. Insight Genesis is an amazing tool, and they dropped the price significantly.

Cannonlink is a great feature if you're a downrigger fisherman, I'll give 'Bird that one.

I know you've become a die hard Humminbird guy, so you'll likely take exception to this post as well. So to be clear, I think the 'Birds are great units too, I'm simply stating my opinion based on my experience.

That's cool ...........I take no exception to your opinion. I also, have experience with both units and have some experience developing similar technology albeit, in a different application.

To summarize ... Lowrance is developing, recently released or will soon have some of this stuff. This, essentially, underpins my main point. Humminbird continues to lead innovation. That's why I turned to the dark side last year.

As you say, and I will point out, "based on technical data - and brochure" - there is no difference. But, I will add, as it relates to speed and on screen updates, this is a function of frequency, ping speed, receiver speed and scroll speed setting on each unit. There is, simply, no advantage to either unit. Opinions don't really equate here. That's just fact.

How each unit "interprets and paints a picture" is the one and only thing that might differ - and It's a matter of preference. I actually think the birds "make more sense" but I can read both. The Lowrance "blended" 3D picture, for me, is tough to relate to. The "linear" 3D format of the bird makes sense to me. The 2D stuff is pretty much the same and detail can be adjusted in both units based on scroll speed and sensitivity.

Don't get me wrong - both units are awesome - right now Birds leads innovation - Lowrance follows.

Last year, when I was outfitting my boat with $8000 worth of stuff - I wanted to "have it all" ...... and Humminbird was the best or only choice with this technology.

As we speak, birds still are, the better units, with better innovation and features, for less money (generally speaking).

12 months from now, who knows .....

I assume the OP is looking to buy a unit today - not after another year or so when Lowrance catches up.

I don't want to have to add another box, Ethernet cables and a power source to get side or down imaging when I can pay roughly the same or less and get it built in a bird which is plug and play using the same transducer.

At the end of the day ....the real beneficiary here is the consumer - the more theses guys fight over the top market spot with price and innovation - the cooler toys we all get for less money.

If you are buying an entry level unit (under $500) either unit will do. After $500, and the higher in price you go, the more the birds stand out.

Let's keep the technology war going - we will have fish jumping right in the boat by 2018 at this rate. By 2023 they will be neatly filleted fish flying out of the water right into the coolers.

Walleyedude
01-27-2014, 09:31 PM
If you are buying an entry level unit (under $500) either unit will do. After $500, and the higher in price you go, the more the birds stand out.

I agree that all the innovation is great, and the new gadget technologies are pretty amazing, but it comes down to the sonar quality itself for me, the rest is just gravy. There are distinct differences in how they paint the picture, and they go beyond simple adjustments of the basic sonar functions.

As for the comment I quoted, I actually feel the exact opposite is the case, the 'Bird lineup really shines from entry to mid level due to their pricing, but once you get into the HDS9 and HDS12 Gen2 Touch units with Structure Scan, the Lowrance units are very hard to beat.

huntsfurfish
01-27-2014, 09:40 PM
What lowrance unit did you have EZM? You mentioned going to 898's

Touch screens and high def I believe were Lowrance firsts as was Ethernet and NMEA 2000, also CHIRP transducer for this year. hmmm:thinking-006:

I expect to find out who is better this year as I bought a new HDS 9 Touch to go with several HDS units. But have bought 2 Humminbird 1198's to try out this year. I will let you know which is best:)

Lineup for 2014 will be HDS 8 on the bow alongside Humminbird 1198.

Playing on the center will be HDS 9, HDS 5 and Humminbird 1198.

To my right at the stern will be an HDS 10.

All HDS units will be linked with Ethernet. Both Humminbirds will also be linked with Ethernet. I will run both LSS1 and LSS2 for Lowrance SS(want to see if there is a difference)+ will run Airmar P66 with one SS and 83/200 lowrance with the other. Will run the large SS with 1198.

huntsfurfish
01-27-2014, 09:41 PM
I agree that all the innovation is great, and the new gadget technologies are pretty amazing, but it comes down to the sonar quality itself for me, the rest is just gravy. There are distinct differences in how they paint the picture, and they go beyond simple adjustments of the basic sonar functions.

As for the comment I quoted, I actually feel the exact opposite is the case, the 'Bird lineup really shines from entry to mid level due to their pricing, but once you get into the HDS9 and HDS12 Gen2 Touch units with Structure Scan, the Lowrance units are very hard to beat.

Agree

npauls
01-27-2014, 10:22 PM

Touch screens and high def I believe were Lowrance firsts as was Ethernet and NMEA 2000, also CHIRP transducer for this year. hmmm:thinking-006:

I expect to find out who is better this year as I bought a new HDS 9 Touch to go with several HDS units. But have bought 2 Humminbird 1198's to try out this year. I will let you know which is best:)

All HDS units will be linked with Ethernet. Both Humminbirds will also be linked with Ethernet. I will run both LSS1 and LSS2 for Lowrance SS(want to see if there is a difference)+ will run Airmar P66 with one SS and 83/200 lowrance with the other. Will run the large SS with 1198.

Can I have whatever you decide not to use? I have an old school little 5" non gps lowrance with color on the bow and a first gen. lowrance hds 8 at the tiller captains seat.

huntsfurfish
01-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Can I have whatever you decide not to use? I have an old school little 5" non gps lowrance with color on the bow and a first gen. lowrance hds 8 at the tiller captains seat.

I will think about it:);)

BassDude
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
I am so confused...LOL...:fighting0074:

I've always loved Lowrance and have had lots of them over time. I really liked the fish marking and have a lot of confidence even in some of the older ones still running on friend's set ups......

But the price point on the hummingbird lineup that I saw tonight at basspro makes me think about one of the hummingbird wide screens - also the iPilot Link systems seem pretty cool as well......

Sigh....the 899ci is very appealing especially with the contour map cards available....I think the data column on the left side is a bit annoying tho....wonder if that can be toggled off.....

:bad_boys_20:

huntsfurfish
01-27-2014, 10:54 PM

I've always loved Lowrance and have had lots of them over time. I really liked the fish marking and have a lot of confidence even in some of the older ones still running on friend's set ups......

But the price point on the hummingbird lineup that I saw tonight at basspro makes me think about one of the hummingbird wide screens - also the iPilot Link systems seem pretty cool as well......

Sigh....the 899ci is very appealing especially with the contour map cards available....I think the data column on the left side is a bit annoying tho....wonder if that can be toggled off.....

Humminbird has lowered the price on some of their units 899 is one of them. The processor is faster than the "old" 898 and has internal gps but it also does not have the full size side imaging transducer(has 455 transducer).

The data column I believe is one thing hummingbird users have been asking to change. I believe its not as yet changed. If you can swing it, go with the 999 it has the large SS transducer(has 800 frequency as well as 455). The 800 frequency is better for detail.

Some of the best features of the ipilot link are not "available/usable" in most of Canada. That being the tracking feature. The only advantage to date is more storage of routes/tracks and spots. That said, your choice if it is worth it to you.

BassDude
01-27-2014, 11:04 PM
Some of the best features of the ipilot link are not "available/usable" in most of Canada. That being the tracking feature. The only advantage to date is more storage of routes/tracks and spots. That said, your choice if it is worth it to you.

There is a lakemaster map card available for lake of the woods which I would use as I fish there 2 or 3 times a year. I will have to verify that this works with the link but I believe it does....the map is amazing same as the charts I've used for years. If it works it's a no brainer....

huntsfurfish
01-27-2014, 11:42 PM
There is a lakemaster map card available for lake of the woods which I would use as I fish there 2 or 3 times a year. I will have to verify that this works with the link but I believe it does....the map is amazing same as the charts I've used for years. If it works it's a no brainer....

If it works you are set.

EZM
01-28-2014, 07:41 AM

I had the Gen 1&2 HDS 5 and 8's. Loved them - don't get me wrong ....

I now run 1 x 898's, 2 x 858's, i-pilot link, ethernet, and some other gadgets ....

They do way more stuff, way better ......

Looks like HFF might be tempted by a fruit of another ......:)

javlin101
01-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Hmmmm maybe it's time to upgrade. I'm still running a Lowrance lms 350a fish finder/depth/gps. Naaa it still finds fish. :bad_boys_20:

huntsfurfish
01-28-2014, 10:30 AM
I had the Gen 1&2 HDS 5 and 8's. Loved them - don't get me wrong ....

I now run 1 x 898's, 2 x 858's, i-pilot link, ethernet, and some other gadgets ....

They do way more stuff, way better ......

Looks like HFF might be tempted by a fruit of another ......:)

Hahaha.

I will find out which is really better side by side. Just because they link to ipilot link and cannon downriggers does not in itself make them a better fishfinder.

huntsfurfish
01-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Hmmmm maybe it's time to upgrade. I'm still running a Lowrance lms 350a fish finder/depth/gps. Naaa it still finds fish. :bad_boys_20:

Actually an awesome unit. Still have mine too.

newguy
01-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Ok, this has gone from me asking advice on a new unit to me asking...

Can I go fishing with you guys??. :scared0018:

Sounds like some sweet set ups...

EZM
01-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Ok, this has gone from me asking advice on a new unit to me asking...

Can I go fishing with you guys??. :scared0018:

Sounds like some sweet set ups...

Anytime ........... next time you are up here ........... send me a note ....... we will make it happen.

javlin101
01-28-2014, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=huntsfurfish;2301471]Actually an awesome unit. Still have mine too.[/QUOTE

Yup sad day when it goes cause there an't no fixin em.

EZM
01-28-2014, 06:02 PM
Hahaha.

I will find out which is really better side by side. Just because they link to ipilot link and cannon downriggers does not in itself make them a better fishfinder.

True enough ......... as far as "fish finding" and "marking points" (sonar capability and GPS) there is very little difference .... no doubt.

The best unit for a guy depends on what he is going to do with them. If you are not running cannonlink to automatically (without any intervention) control you downrigger balls and your not into having your minkota automatically steer you based on contours, paths or controlled from your overlay maps ....... no need to spend the money ...... no doubt there.

The balance of the technology is shared by both Lowrance and Humminbird.

I use most of the features 99% guys don't ..... so the birds were the logical choice. It has helped me boat more fish, boat bigger fish and enjoy my time out on the water allot more.

I am curious why you are running both brands? is there something your Lowrance unit are unable to do for you? (not being sarcastic) just genuinely curious....

Dr.D
01-28-2014, 06:38 PM

So your saying I have to go shopping :fighting0030:

huntsfurfish
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM
True enough ......... as far as "fish finding" and "marking points" (sonar capability and GPS) there is very little difference .... no doubt.
That's what I want to find out. Because of what I have read on other forums it appears there is a difference:) and not in Humminbirds favour.
The best unit for a guy depends on what he is going to do with them. If you are not running cannonlink to automatically (without any intervention) control you downrigger balls and your not into having your minkota automatically steer you based on contours, paths or controlled from your overlay maps ....... no need to spend the money ...... no doubt there.

The balance of the technology is shared by both Lowrance and Humminbird.

I use most of the features 99% guys don't ..... so the birds were the logical choice. It has helped me boat more fish, boat bigger fish and enjoy my time out on the water allot more.

I am curious why you are running both brands? is there something your Lowrance unit are unable to do for you? (not being sarcastic) just genuinely curious....

You remember a while back I mentioned I was going to add the 898 to run wireless sonar and weathersense. Well I was in BP and they had the 1198's on for $cheap each so I bought the last 2. Thought what the heck. Now is the time to see who has the best Side Scan, down imaging, 2D sonar and GPS. These 4 are the features that are most important to me. Ipilot link is something I will probably get yet.
While I am partial to Lowrance(know how they work). I have no problem having a Humminbird or 2 to share duties. If the "big 4" work well that is all I need to catch fish. I have the ipilot since they came out and before that the autopilot. The ipilot already has spot lock and that has been awesome(no more anchoring(well not much anchoring:)). That said the ipilot link is still an option. I like toys on the boat to play with, what can I say?:sHa_shakeshout:

overparr
01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
I purchased hummingbird unit to run the Cannonlink to my Cannons. But have not installed yet. Have you tried this feature and tell me how it effects the line attached to the cannonball as your link will allow your ball to move up and down or for that matter follow the contour or bottom of the lake. Does the slack in the line effect the strike?

EZM
01-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't run Canons on my boat ( I have Scotty's), however, my cousin uses the CannonLink and I've been out with him a few times.

It lets you follow the bottom contour and stay (for example) "20 ft above bottom in 100 feet of water" kind of thing. it can also cycle your ball up and down, or you can move the ball up or down from your fish finder as you see fish higher or lower on the screen from the comfort of your chair. All automatic based on the setting you want ...... from the comfort of your chair. It also reacts faster than any human can and keeps you on target.

As with any down rigger .... obviously, if you go from 50 to 100 feet of water in 40 yards of travel there is going to be excess slack and bow in your line or, alternatively, it will pop your release.

But for deviations of 20 - 30 feet in 100' to 140' feet of water, if you load up your rod correctly, you should be fine. It works slick using a clicker reel (or with loose drag) as well if you want to troll a contour "down" to a deeper point in the lake. Lake trout sit on the downside of the hill often and this is "THE TICKET" to getting a fish on each pass, every time, you follow the trail. It was unbelievable.

If you are joe troller ........ this is the most innovative piece of technology since Colonel Sanders developed the special 11 herbs and spices.

This is 100% Chuck Norris approved.

I do allot of trolling both in deep and moderately shallow lakes - so this is a benefit to me ....... so guess what I'm buying before spring ........ a couple Cannon's maybe.

overparr
01-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the info . I realize what it can do that's why I purchased these items. Just wasn't sure on how the slack would effect the strike. you have answered what I wanted to know. And yes I am Joe troller. However I have also tried "Dead Sticking" for the Lakers in other bodies of water with huge success.

silver
01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
I haven't spent much time on the fishing side of the forum, but I bought a boat this last year and would like to fit some electronics to it.

This thread is rather interesting, I am enjoying and learning.

Thanks

huntsfurfish
01-29-2014, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info . I realize what it can do that's why I purchased these items. Just wasn't sure on how the slack would effect the strike. you have answered what I wanted to know. And yes I am Joe troller. However I have also tried "Dead Sticking" for the Lakers in other bodies of water with huge success.

The slack will effect the strike(actually not the strike but the hooking percentage). Slack is not good. The rod is loaded to help remove the slack - more slack is bad:).

overparr
01-30-2014, 08:44 AM
I was thinking the same it will definatly make it interesting this season, covering more area using the "cannon-link" should producee more hits which is just as much fun as catching the lakers. Thanks so much for your input.

Ken07AOVette
01-30-2014, 09:17 AM
I have a Humminbird 798 Ci si hd and love it

Mike_W
01-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Been pretty happy with my HDS 8 but yikes might need to get a HDS gen 2 12 touch for the ocean!!

overparr
01-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Yes I have the same unit It's awesome but haven't got use to the side imaging yet. I am usually in water 30plus meters and find I am using the down imaging 100% of the time

Lornce
01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Lots of good info here, It was a few years since I bought my last Sonar, things have really come a long way for both Humminbird & Lowrance, they are both good units,it was a hard decision last winter when I picked mine up, it took me months to decide. Screen size was a big one for me, and I wanted one that was easy to use, I don't use mine for running my trolling motor or down-riggers so that wasn't a factor for me in the purchase.

Whatever unit you do get, be sure you get the best you can afford for your budget, and add a mapping chip, the detail for big lakes is great, especially buoys and channels. Not a lot of people have mentioned mapping. We boated and fished Alberta waters plus the Okanagan and Shuswap. A good chartplotter was gold when heavy fog come in and I simply followed my plotted route back to the launch, in some cases avoiding some nasty rockpiles. It was the same thing for some cruises home after dark. There is nothing like the safety of a good plotter.

I was very impressed with the new technologies in DownScan Imaging, truly fantastic, weeds fish and rocks, you can't ask for more. We where able to get onto schools of Kokanee with the unit and did well because of it. It also found me bushpiles, old riverbeds and mid lake humps that was valuable. Really looking forward to this season on the water a quality Sonar/Plotter really makes a difference.

HOGSLAYER
01-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Come to boat show next weekend there will be some new birds on hand to play with and Prostaff from Lowrance and Humminbird on hand to help answer all your questions. See yah all there:)