View Full Version : So whos the Best Angler

Speckle55
01-26-2014, 10:34 PM
well here they are

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=487_1244314532

David:)

Red Bullets
01-27-2014, 12:16 AM
It would be a pretty cool to fish with cormorants on a string. Like underwater falconry. I wonder if a person could capture and work with a double crested cormorant under a falconry license? Not alot different from harvesting birds with a falcon. Just a different kind of prey for the bird.

Spending time teaching an osprey to bring a fish to the glove would be interesting too.

I know there are more double crested cormorants around Alberta for a few years now. Cormorants were considered endangered in 1970 in Alberta. Populations have increased since 1980.

Not sure about the whole provincial population but in 2005, there were just over 8000 nesting pairs, so 16,000 adult cormorants just within a 45 km radius of Lac La Biche alone. About 1.5 chicks in each nest too. (Stat I got from a university student's cormorant study document)

And perch fisherman wonder "where did all the big perch go?"
The cormorants fish on stocked trout lakes too.

waterninja
01-27-2014, 02:44 AM
i have a great pic. of a cormarant holding, then swallowing a large rainbow at herm. trout pond, but can't find it right now. they are great anglers.
i have 1 dog and 2 cats so no room for a cormarant. lol
if anything, i think training a seal to fetch fish would be better. iv'e seen seals catch some monster salmon on the coast, that a cormarant couldn't begin to handle. i'm sure a seal could handle a 30 lbs. pike. Yes officer he just followed me home one day.

binnzer32
01-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Id say I Am the best angler, hands down.