PDA

View Full Version : Aikens Lake

omega50
01-27-2014, 07:33 PM
It was 30 plus years ago-2 coworkers and I went on our first fly-in fishing adventure in Manitoba to Aikens Lake.
It was some amazing/ funny/wild times and I recently learned that both of these gents have since passed on.

I spent some time today going over pics from that trip and have deep regrets that I never put together a reunion trip with these guys because I moved out west and we did not keep in very good touch.

So to assuage my guilt- I decided to take my sons there this summer and raise a few wobbly pops to the guys.

I hope to do them proud.
Anyone putting off a fly-in/remote fishing trip. Just do it. Now while you are healthy. The memories truly do last a lifetime

http://www.aikenslake.com/about

calgarygringo
01-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Remember going there in my young years too and that was a long time ago. My dad was an airplane mechanic for AC and in the summer he used to do the float plane maintenance out of Wallace Lake and then for payment we would get fly in trips and that was one of the places on the list. A few others were amazing in that area as well. Haven't been back in many years so who knows what it is like now a days.

DiscoTime
01-27-2014, 09:24 PM
I worked at a lodge just 30-40 miles north of Aikens for 4 summers, its an awesome area with some of the best walleye fishing you will find anywhere. Plus its not far north or too long of a plane ride in, can be fishing within a few hours of leaving Winnipeg.

Do a fly in trip anywhere your budget allows, doubt you will be disappointed.

Wes_G
01-27-2014, 11:38 PM
I worked at a lodge just 30-40 miles north of Aikens for 4 summers, its an awesome area with some of the best walleye fishing you will find anywhere. Plus its not far north or too long of a plane ride in, can be fishing within a few hours of leaving Winnipeg.

Do a fly in trip anywhere your budget allows, doubt you will be disappointed.

Which lodge? I Guided at Sabourin for 4 summers.

calgarygringo
01-28-2014, 05:45 AM
Gammon River was one of the places we used to go into regularly way back then in the late 60's early 70's. Used to pull walleyes out faster than you could reel them in. There was another lake right beside it too we used to fly into that I can't remember the name as well. Ir was all amazing fishing and better yet it never cost us a cent other than my dad doing mechanical work on the float planes.

omega50
01-28-2014, 06:43 AM
My buddy decided that we should shoot the outflow rapids on the Gammon only to discover later that the small boat did not have enough juice to get 3- 250 lb bikers back up.

35 whelen
01-28-2014, 06:50 AM
I used to work for PINE ISLAND LODGE and I believe they owned gammon river outcamps .also been to aikens a few times ,cant beat that part of Manitoba for great walleye fishing,:)

Wes_G
01-28-2014, 08:07 PM
If we didn't put 200+ walleyes in the boat in a day out there, it was a slow day.

DiscoTime
01-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Which lodge? I Guided at Sabourin for 4 summers.

Dogskin Lake Lodge. '03-'05 and then '07. Gone back to help guide a bit every summer until the last two summers.

Wes_G
01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Dogskin Lake Lodge. '03-'05 and then '07. Gone back to help guide a bit every summer until the last two summers.

Pretty close. I guided at Sabourin '06-'09 and have been back to help guide from '10-'12. Wasn't able to make it out last year though.