PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Perch - Video Tips and Fishing

Brandonkop
01-29-2014, 09:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ4UN4bdWbI

Sometimes searching for perch pays off. Drilling a lot of holes all over the lake and finding them is the number one way to actually catch fish. Don't get comfortable. If nothing is on the ice in ten minutes with perch you likely aren't going to have a whole lot of luck there the rest of the day. Go on the hunt for them early in the year and you may just be into them all season long. Another great lure is the Kastmaster while fishing for those winter perch. It has great action and a lots of flash to bring in distant and aggressive fish. The chrome and blue seems to work best in Alberta and the Gold is also a great option if you're after Jumbo Perch. Nothing revolutionary, but some good things to keep in mind when on the water.

Also in this video you're see I have a dropper bead head fly about 8 inches below the kastmaster. On this particular occasion they weren't after that one. But some days that is all they hit. So don't forget to add a dropper lure if they are ignoring your flash lure.

Tight Lines and good luck perch hunting!

muskokagould
01-29-2014, 10:02 PM
nice work, always enjoy the vids

Rabdo
01-29-2014, 10:47 PM
another great video

Bassett
01-30-2014, 10:45 AM
great video, if you don't mind me asking how do you tie up the dropper?

Gumbi
01-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Nice vid!

pikeslayer22
01-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Good video thx for posting...don't really agree with some of the stratagies but hey to each their own

Brandonkop
01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
great video, if you don't mind me asking how do you tie up the dropper?

I use 4 pound Berkley Vanish and tie it to the split ring on the bottom of the Kastmaster that the treble is on. Usually 6-8 inches below I'll tie the fly or micro jig.

Good video thx for posting...don't really agree with some of the stratagies but hey to each their own

Don't agree with what??? Maybe you could give an explanation. Thanks I'd like to see what you have to say.

pikeslayer22
01-30-2014, 11:55 AM
If nothing is on the ice in ten minutes with perch you likely aren't going to have a whole lot of luck there the rest of the day.

^^^^^ This...I usally give them more time and i can't count the # of times that i moved back towards evening to where i started in the morning and thats where the fish are...

Brandonkop
01-30-2014, 12:02 PM
If nothing is on the ice in ten minutes with perch you likely aren't going to have a whole lot of luck there the rest of the day.

^^^^^ This...I usally give them more time and i can't count the # of times that i moved back towards evening to where i started in the morning and thats where the fish are...

Yup totally agree with moving back in the evening. But are you going to sit there all day just waiting for an evening bite? Its better to follow the fish. Many times I'll start somewhere get nothing and end up back there for the evening bite. You are right I did not make that clear.

If you are using a flasher sonar and there is no action in 10 minutes though at one hole I really do think it starts to be a waste of time with perch, time to move to greener pastures. Now if you don't have a flasher then how are you supposed to know if they are there and just not interested in your presentation, well in that case you have to give them more time. Guess I'm just over emphasizing that fact that most guys I see on the lakes drive out and drill a few holes and just sit in one spot all day. Not very effective in my opinion.

CanadianBadass
01-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Sweet Video Brandon, Keep em Coming !

pinelakeperch
01-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Yup totally agree with moving back in the evening. But are you going to sit there all day just waiting for an evening bite? Its better to follow the fish. Many times I'll start somewhere get nothing and end up back there for the evening bite. You are right I did not make that clear.

If you are using a flasher sonar and there is no action in 10 minutes though at one hole I really do think it starts to be a waste of time with perch, time to move to greener pastures. Now if you don't have a flasher then how are you supposed to know if they are there and just not interested in your presentation, well in that case you have to give them more time. Guess I'm just over emphasizing that fact that most guys I see on the lakes drive out and drill a few holes and just sit in one spot all day. Not very effective in my opinion.

Yup, when I fish Devils Lake, ND, we move upwards of ten times a day. The guides say they've drilled up to 100 holes in a day on occasion.