PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lakes

TheBatman
01-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I have been reading other posts of the ice at chain lakes being 18". We went out a few weeks ago and saw tons of vehicles on the ice.

With last week’s warm spell and this week’s cold spell will the ice still be drivable? Does anybody happen to have a recent ice update?

When we were out last it was crazy windy which really added to the challenge. But I think the jigs we were using were too big. We saw many hits, but could not hook any. What is the best recommended jig size? Bait?

:)

Thank you!

Josh

AdverseCity
01-31-2014, 10:22 AM
The smallest jigs you can buy, I like using a nuclear ant (http://www.customjigs.com/icefishing/softbody/nuclear_ant.html) style jig. You can get them at most local fishing stores. Put a little piece of worm on it and tie direct to your line. You'll miss a lot of bites if you're not holding the rod constantly.

Some good ideas in this thread too.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=207586

NCFlyfishin
01-31-2014, 10:39 AM
I don't even use jigs, i use small size 8 hooks with a piece of shrimp or velveeta

baptiste_moose
01-31-2014, 11:44 AM
The warm weather did way more good then bad for our ice conditions. Ice will thicken quick now that there's no snow to insulate

I find a forage minnow with a drop chain to be the best.

Renegade J
01-31-2014, 09:50 PM
I was on chain today. We drove on as did many other vehicles. There was more Ice today than all season. We caught about 8 trout between 3 guys. Shrimp on small jig heads were producing. Use the smallest bobber you can to detect light strikes. Good luck!

TheBatman
02-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Went out today and drove on the ice, no problems. About 18" of ice. Used tiny jigs with raw shrimp mixed with garlic salt. 10 rainbows between 4 of us. Good times!

fentochris
02-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Garlic salt? Interesting……… Never heard of that trick. We used shrimp pieces from the "shrimp rings" on a wire worm and worked well.. Now.. It the garlic salt adds a special touch, going to have to give it a try

TheBatman
02-01-2014, 07:15 PM
One of the guys at the fishing hole gave me this tip. Fish love shrimp and garlic. The salt keeps the shrimp firm. It doesn't fall apart on your hook. I was skeptical until we were getting hits.

orangefreddie
02-04-2014, 09:46 AM
I always have a good day on the ice with red salmon eggs. Not too hard to limit out on this lake on a good day. Wind can be really bad coming down the valley.

There is a crap load of rainbows in this lake... Sit out on the lake in the summer around 6:30 - 7:00 pm and watch the fish jump... It is unbelievable.

Snazyevey
02-12-2014, 12:19 AM
I am heading out on Saturday to chain lakes. I was just wondering what depth the trout are hanging out in? any insight would be appreciated. Probably going to fish the south end of the res.

N8orDie
02-12-2014, 05:04 PM
I am heading out on Saturday to chain lakes. I was just wondering what depth the trout are hanging out in? any insight would be appreciated. Probably going to fish the south end of the res.

Start with your bait laying on the bottom kicking up silt and then lift up about a foot. Hits often come just as the bait is lifted off the bottom. If you don't get bites after a couple minutes near bottom, try depths up to 3-4 feet off bottom. The lake in the south end is only about 12-15 feet deep so it's easy to find the fish. Don't worry...it's harder to not catch fish at Chain than it is to find 'em!

orangefreddie
02-13-2014, 08:30 AM
I was out on Chain last weekend, between 2 of us we caught 29 rainbows and 1 sucker... all 1 foot off the bottom, and most WAY to small to keep.

I have tried every kind of bait on this lake and I always have the best success on red salmon eggs.

Lots of small rainbows in this lake, very hard to get skunked.

Here's a 12" Rainbow I caught last weekend, you can see the jig I had my salmon eggs on in the pic.

http://t.imgbox.com/bQzVZ1qf.jpg

davis77
02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
I was out on Chain last weekend, between 2 of us we caught 29 rainbows and 1 sucker... all 1 foot off the bottom, and most WAY to small to keep.

I have tried every kind of bait on this lake and I always have the best success on red salmon eggs.

Lots of small rainbows in this lake, very hard to get skunked.

Here's a 12" Rainbow I caught last weekend, you can see the jig I had my salmon eggs on in the pic.

http://t.imgbox.com/bQzVZ1qf.jpg

that looks like a record for chain

Okotoks584
02-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Was out there today and there was about 6 trucks on the ice and it was still 18 inches thick. Lots of action and got 4 keepers over 12 inches on sweet corn :fishing::