PDA

View Full Version : jensen vs st mary's vs ridge

catchandeat
01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Hi all:

I'm planning a trip down south on sunday, and just wondering if anybody's been out to any of the three lakes listed? Target species would be white and burbs anything else would be a bonus. Any information would be appreciated, not looking for hotspots, just want to know if anybody's been having any luck.
Thanks! :sHa_shakeshout:

catchandeat
02-01-2014, 09:04 AM
bumpity bump!
Does anybody adleast know how the road conditions are going out to the lakes? Pretty sure i'll be heading to jensen, is the rowed plowed out to the lake?
Thanks

muddy
02-01-2014, 11:00 AM
the roads are good to all three lakes you mentioned. lots of whites and a few burbs coming out of jensens. st marys and ridge are also fishing well but more pike than anything else

catchandeat
02-01-2014, 12:54 PM
the roads are good to all three lakes you mentioned. lots of whites and a few burbs coming out of jensens. st marys and ridge are also fishing well but more pike than anything else

Thankyou kindly! :sHa_shakeshout:

Fisher_man#1
02-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Was at Jensen today, targeting whites but all I got was one nice pike. Road in has some snow drifts but nothing a small car couldnt handle.

Was at Ridge last weekend and managed a few walleye and a burbot. None of the walleye were legal.

Post back how you do tomorrow...

catchandeat
02-03-2014, 02:50 PM
got completely skunked yesterday :mad0030: drove three hours from calgary and got out on the lake by ten. Went just south of the inlet canal, maybe a 100 feet out from shore trying for some whites, only to realize it's like 50feet deep there, so we packed up and went back near the boat launch, close to where there's a permanent shack setup. Anyway, we were in about 15 feet of water jigging for whites with wireworms and tungsten micro jigs tipped with fake maggots for whites, and had the tipups set with minnows. After about an hour and no bites, went closer to shore in about 6 feet of water, and tried that but still no luck :(. Would have drilled more holes but only had a hand auger and it proved quite difficult. Walked over at the end of the day and talked to a group of a few people who were fishing where the road goes past the boat launch, and between four of them they only caught one small white. The water was also so murky that I couldn't even see the bottom in 6 feet of water...

Overall it was pretty frustrating have to drive so long and getting skunked, but at least the drive was nice :) Would love to go back out again sometime, perhaps with someone who actually knows where to catch fish! haha

bessiedog
02-03-2014, 03:52 PM
ya...

Its not a great lake.

Very few fish. Pretty barren.

Scott N
02-03-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't think that Jensens is really known as a very good fishery, as bessiedog mentioned. Not worth driving 3 hours from Calgary to be sure.

drhook
02-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Coming from Calgary I would recommend Travers. North bay off of the 529 by the canal. If you look on the West end of where the canal goes under the highway you will see a trail you can take to the water. Fish 5-15 off the edge of the rocks for whites. Some days are good and some days you'll go home with nothing. Last weekend I saw a bunch of whites at St Mary's on the camera in 15 FOW but it's not worth the extra 90 minute drive.

catchandeat
02-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Coming from Calgary I would recommend Travers. North bay off of the 529 by the canal. If you look on the West end of where the canal goes under the highway you will see a trail you can take to the water. Fish 5-15 off the edge of the rocks for whites. Some days are good and some days you'll go home with nothing. Last weekend I saw a bunch of whites at St Mary's on the camera in 15 FOW but it's not worth the extra 90 minute drive.

Thanks very much for the info! :sHa_shakeshout: yeah it was pretty dissapointing, travers sounds like a much better idea though.
Thanks guys! Maybe we'll have to do a meet up on the ice sometime, as it's hard not knowing where to go when your new.
:)