PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene heater

GPBuzz
01-31-2014, 05:35 PM
I have access to a kerosene heater, are they better than propane?

thanks in advance

liar
01-31-2014, 08:04 PM
lots of pros and cons for both . thing to remember is that they both consume oxygen when burning and both release poisonous gases when burned . therefore , both need proper venting .

WayneChristie
01-31-2014, 11:10 PM
speaking from experience, dont go kerosene.

Kokanee9
02-01-2014, 04:46 AM
I think kerosene is a drier heat. With propane i have more frost on the inside walls of my tent on really cold days.

From experience, I believe that kerosene will produce more co2. If you decide to use it, start and stop it outside the tent..

Freedom55
02-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Noxious gases every time you light it and every time it goes out. And they go out with the slightest bump.

I had one once that I got rid of after one try. Sold it to a soldier from CFB Calgary who stiffed me with a bad cheque. Good riddance to both.

Free

skidderman
02-01-2014, 06:52 AM
I've had both. Kerosene is fussy as another said. I've used propane much more but always had to deal with condensation & for some reason, likely the moisture I never did really feel warm. Years ago we made a cheap plywood shack with a small wood stove & that was comfortable. I wish there was some way of getting the equivalent of wood heat but have yet to see it.

huntsfurfish
02-01-2014, 10:46 AM
If you are getting moisture, you have it to warm in the tent.:)

Kokanee9
02-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Noxious gases every time you light it and every time it goes out. And they go out with the slightest bump.

Free

I never found out the hard way, but I would think that those fumes when it starts and goes out are flammable also. Not good for inside a tent.

latenite
02-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I had a kerosene, used it once. Gave off strong fumes, burned the eyes. Maybe something was wrong with it. I like my sunflower propane burner better. I make sure i have good ventilation, no problems with propane myself.

tri777
02-03-2014, 11:58 AM
speaking from experience, dont go kerosene.

X10
What a stink, & it gets right into&through all clothing for those to deal with when you arrive back home..