PDA

View Full Version : Infectious hematopoietic necrosis virus in kootenay lake

Buckwheat
02-02-2014, 09:33 AM
The Kokanaee in Kootenay Lake are infected. Can only hope the Gerrards don't catch it. They are saying the rainbow fishery is already being effected due to less feed. We fished two days last week and only caught a few bulls. :angry3:

http://thenelsondaily.com/news/fish-virus-found-kootenay-lake-kokanee-calls-action-28084

fish gunner
02-02-2014, 09:53 AM
The Kokanaee in Kootenay Lake are infected. Can only hope the Gerrards don't catch it. They are saying the rainbow fishery is already being effected due to less feed. We fished two days last week and only caught a few bulls. :angry3:

http://thenelsondaily.com/news/fish-virus-found-kootenay-lake-kokanee-calls-action-28084

Catching bulls is a sure sign of speed issues. Not the lack of bows.sad news . Not a ton details. Hope they get it figured out soon.

greylynx
02-02-2014, 03:59 PM
This is a very very serious situation for B.C. Fisheries.

I can assure you the virus is in the Gerrard Rainbow population as well.

This is one disaster that the government of B.C. will not be able to hide.

And if the government hides it. Good for them. They fooled the public again.

fish gunner
02-02-2014, 04:03 PM
This is a very very serious situation for B.C. Fisheries.

I can assure you the virus is in the Gerrard Rainbow population as well.

This is one disaster that the government of B.C. will not be able to hide.

And if the government hides it. Good for them. They fooled the public again.

What are you taking abt GL two lines of concern two lines of dreck.

The Reel Deal
02-24-2014, 08:33 PM
do I cancel my trip to Kootenay Lake this July? I don't mind working harder to catch fish, but if my wife isn't busy catching fish, she'll ruin my time on the water!

Speckle55
02-24-2014, 09:14 PM
No don't cancel your trip as one post said slow down or use your flys

here is my buddy with a 24# and they caught a 18 #to take second in a Derby and a 16# in another Derby to take first
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/Hunting/559294_10201116471372293_1811605644_n_zps812c17bd. jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a488/Speckle55/Hunting/1380287_10151670191115969_635480304_n_zps8552d5bf. jpg
Good luck

David:)

do I cancel my trip to Kootenay Lake this July? I don't mind working harder to catch fish, but if my wife isn't busy catching fish, she'll ruin my time on the water!

fish gunner
02-24-2014, 09:17 PM

July is not a big month for big fish , kokanee will be plentiful as will bulls. no more details have come out . No reason you wont have a great trip unless you were planing on chasing red fish up the creeks. :)

fish gunner
02-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Call f&w around mothers day they will give you current spawning channel count for the Gerrards and if the virus is present . Just a thought.

The Reel Deal
02-24-2014, 10:02 PM
I've been reading up on old threads and probably be sending some pm's as time gets closer. Renting a cottage on Kootenay wouldn't have been my first choice, but it had a place that could accommodate my dogs and time of arrival. After some digging, looks like i could have done worse!
I'll be in the west arm between Willow Point and Crescent Bay - descent spot to find some fish or will i have to boat all the way to the main lake? Will be the first week of July when i get there

fish gunner
02-24-2014, 10:31 PM
I've been reading up on old threads and probably be sending some pm's as time gets closer. Renting a cottage on Kootenay wouldn't have been my first choice, but it had a place that could accommodate my dogs and time of arrival. After some digging, looks like i could have done worse!
I'll be in the west arm between Willow Point and Crescent Bay - descent spot to find some fish or will i have to boat all the way to the main lake? Will be the first week of July when i get there

Fish abound in the west arm up to 6lb at the large side unless you know where to look . Bulls to monsterous sizes can be found in most narrows . From kokanee camp ground to the 17mile narrows can produce big 4lb kokanee. Hold on !! Ants ants ants and more ants . If your very lucky you will encounter the hex hatch dont worry abt the dry, large goldie olive nymphs on a very slow sink or a dry line with a long leader. The down wind side of each set of narrows will be your friend if winds come up. The west arm can be absolutely diabolical if it comes up , a white line from the north means get off now, not back to camp, off now !!. The moth of the arm has great jigging for good bulls 10lb +. lots of fish at creek mouths on the main lake .

The Reel Deal
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Fish abound in the west arm up to 6lb at the large side unless you know where to look . Bulls to monsterous sizes can be found in most narrows . From kokanee camp ground to the 17mile narrows can produce big 4lb kokanee. Hold on !! Ants ants ants and more ants . If your very lucky you will encounter the hex hatch dont worry abt the dry, large goldie olive nymphs on a very slow sink or a dry line with a long leader. The down wind side of each set of narrows will be your friend if winds come up. The west arm can be absolutely diabolical if it comes up , a white line from the north means get off now, not back to camp, off now !!. The moth of the arm has great jigging for good bulls 10lb +. lots of fish at creek mouths on the main lake .

looks like i better do some more research and brush up on my trout lingo bahaha!
thx:wave:

fish gunner
02-24-2014, 10:52 PM
looks like i better do some more research and brush up on my trout lingo bahaha!
thx:wave:

Feel free to pm when your out there ill give you some more specific details. Even if just trolling /drifting flys could make or break fishing near to where your staying.