PDA

View Full Version : Eskimo Fatfish 949i Poles

kcward
02-02-2014, 11:05 PM
Just bought an Eskimo 949i and I wish the poles were a little heavier. Has anyone else experienced the bowing in the poles? Eskimo says the tent should stretch and it will be better with time.
Thanks, Ken

fish gunner
02-02-2014, 11:17 PM
Open the flap, pole should spring in to position . Try stting up tent with flaps open .

kcward
02-02-2014, 11:35 PM
thanks fish gunner....I have tried that. It seems that the poles are too long and have to bow. The clam poles are a little heavier and just pop out and stay in place. This is my first Eskimo...love the tent, don't love the poles.

fish gunner
02-02-2014, 11:37 PM
thanks fish gunner....I have tried that. It seems that the poles are too long and have to bow. The clam poles are a little heavier and just pop out and stay in place. This is my first Eskimo...love the tent, don't love the poles.

I dont know eskimo hubs with the tent in the fully collapsed condition . Make sure poles are in the hubs correctly. Just a suggestion .

kcward
02-03-2014, 12:02 AM
They seem fine, but I'll give that a try. Thanks

Chris5672
02-03-2014, 03:35 AM
I got two of the same shacks and the tent will stretch and will fit better, takes a few times being used but both of mine stretched and have been great.

Geezle
02-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Years ago when I got my QuickFish3 I had the same issue with the poles bowing, however after some time the material stretched out and the poles stayed straight.

I just got a FatFish 949i from a forum member a few days ago, and it has the same issue with the poles bowing, however I noticed there was less bowing on Sunday than I had on Friday. I'm thinking that after a dozen or so uses the material will stretch out a little more and the poles will stay straight.

That said, the little bit of a bow in the poles doesn't affect the operation of the tent in any way, so I'm not terribly worried about it :)

matt1984
02-03-2014, 09:03 AM
My fatfish was the same, the poles were so bowed that the tent would collapse with any wind. I ended up taking the poles out and cutting them down a bit and it works fine now.

Teamprotz
02-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Mine is still a PITA but I need to use it more. Door poles never seem to sit right.

kcward
02-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the reply everyone! I will give it some time - if it still bows might trim em up a bit too. How much did you trim off Matt - 1/4" or so?

matt1984
02-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Yeah about there, not too much but it seemed to really help.

EZM
02-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I think that's not an uncommon condition. I agree with the fabric stretching into place and also found that storing it flat on the floor of my truck bed versus draped over my sleds made a bit of a difference.

I just purchased a big Clam tent (the 1660 six pack) and had a Eskimo 949i and they both had/have a similar bend. I anticipate this straightening out as the fabric stretches and if you store it flat.

My tent stays locked up in the cold garage or in the cold bed of my truck so "memory" (a bend caused by having something sit in a particular orientation or with a bend) will go away as it "heats up" during the day as well.

I wouldn't sweat it ........

kcward
04-04-2014, 11:51 PM
I just wanted to update on the 949i. I emailed eskimo customer service, as after set up and use of the tent 1/2 dozen times they were still the same. I sent them pictures and they sent me a whole new set of poles for a 949i. Interistingly enough they are about 1/2 inch shorter than the ones it came with. Very easy to change over...the beauty of it is if it stretches or I break one, I have lots of extra poles on hand!

Great customer service!

Ken