PDA

View Full Version : Ice Line?

Mike_W
02-03-2014, 12:08 PM
I like to use braid with a fluorocarbon leader but really dislike how easy the line "candles" ice when jigging and then how ice accumulates on the guides with braid.

My main reason for liking braid is better hook sets (less stretch) and low memory

What have others found to be a great ice fishing braid or what is the best low stretch mono or fluro out there.

Thanks,
Mike

EZM
02-03-2014, 06:29 PM
I purchased a half dozen rolls of the suffix ice braid (neon orange) when it was on sale at Cabela's - i really like it - it seems to be better in keeping the ice off the line, compared to regular braid, on another one of my reels, as I think there is some sort of "coating" on the Suffix Ice braid.

It's not perfect but it's better than regular braid for preventing excessive ice accumulation.

I just run a fluorocarbon leader to finish off the bottom of my presentation.

Remember not to hand-line a big pike with braid - that will cut through a rubber glove like a hot knife through butter. lol.

cube
02-03-2014, 10:40 PM
I like to use braid with a fluorocarbon leader but really dislike how easy the line "candles" ice when jigging and then how ice accumulates on the guides with braid.

My main reason for liking braid is better hook sets (less stretch) and low memory

What have others found to be a great ice fishing braid or what is the best low stretch mono or fluro out there.

Thanks,
Mike

For Mono I use "Trilene Micro Ice" which is a low stretch mono.
http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/monofilament/trilene-micro-ice

I no longer use Braided lines in the winter for the reasons you mentioned. If I use dynema in the winter I use a fused line as I have found those to hold less water.

Good Luck

AppleJax
02-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I use a heater in my tent and my line never ices up!:sHa_shakeshout:

Kokanee9
02-03-2014, 11:11 PM

There's the answer I like!!!!!

:)

Mike_W
02-04-2014, 08:23 AM

This does solve the problem but I'm a pretty mobile fisherman "hole hoping" especially for perch or walleye plus I just like to be outside if I can.

WayneChristie
02-04-2014, 08:44 AM
This does solve the problem but I'm a pretty mobile fisherman "hole hoping" especially for perch or walleye plus I just like to be outside if I can.
Hole hoping. Is a Freudian slip on the ice dangerous?
:thinking-006:

Mike_W
02-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Hole hoping. Is a Freudian slip on the ice dangerous?
:thinking-006:

Lol.....sorry "Hole Hopping"

Geezle
02-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Most of my ice rods just have my open water reels on them, so most just have plain ol' PowerPro.

I do have a couple 'ice only' reels with the blue PowerPro ice braid on them. Can't really comment too much on it though as I'm one of those guys who likes to stay where it's warm and fish in the tent :lol:

Hunter Trav
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM

Get a 1 man flip over and the shack can hole hop with you...:cool:

Mike_W
02-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Did a bit of research and it sounds like berkley micro ice is the best ice mono having a low memory low stretch and still pretty supple.
I also went with sufix ice line with gore.

I will post the results when I get back after the weekend.

ULTRAlite
02-04-2014, 06:36 PM
I purchased a half dozen rolls of the suffix ice braid (neon orange) when it was on sale at Cabela's - i really like it - it seems to be better in keeping the ice off the line, compared to regular braid, on another one of my reels, as I think there is some sort of "coating" on the Suffix Ice braid.

It's not perfect but it's better than regular braid for preventing excessive ice accumulation.

I just run a fluorocarbon leader to finish off the bottom of my presentation.

Remember not to hand-line a big pike with braid - that will cut through a rubber glove like a hot knife through butter. lol.

I run the same on all my rigs