PDA

View Full Version : Commercial fishing Walleye

kirbstomps
02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
So not to hijack another thread i'll ask this here.... but does anyone know the reason why they still allow commercial fishing of walleye in some lakes where the avarage angler has been cut off with a zero limit???? seems a little off to me that i have to C&R all the fish i catch, but then can go buy the same fish on the way off the lake from a commercial guy.

... or maybe i'm out to lunch with this one.

Kirby

Gslice
02-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Specifically, which lakes are you talking about? From what I know, I think they commercial fish for whites with a by-catch quota of walleye and pike. I'm not aware of any lakes that commercial fish just for walleye (at least in Alberta?). I could be wrong though.

kirbstomps
02-03-2014, 03:36 PM
Specifically, which lakes are you talking about? From what I know, I think they commercial fish for whites with a by-catch quota of walleye and pike. I'm not aware of any lakes that commercial fish just for walleye (at least in Alberta?). I could be wrong though.

this came up in another thread....

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/documents/CommercialFishingSeasonsGuide-Sep10-2013.pdf

there are quite a few lakes that have a quota for walleye's that dont allow for any take homers for the weekend warrior...

and i am not looking to stir anything up with this at all, more just cureous of ESRD's strategy and how it falls into it.

Gslice
02-03-2014, 03:46 PM
The only logical reason I can think of for having commercial rights precede recreational harvesting rights boils down to $. But then again, when I spoke with an F&W, he claimed that with their current nets, by-catches are minimal. Never been there when a net was pulled, so I'm just quoting what I was told.

binnzer32
02-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Gslice. Lac la biche is one. There are a few

Penner
02-04-2014, 12:57 PM
this came up in another thread....

http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/documents/CommercialFishingSeasonsGuide-Sep10-2013.pdf

there are quite a few lakes that have a quota for walleye's that dont allow for any take homers for the weekend warrior...

and i am not looking to stir anything up with this at all, more just cureous of ESRD's strategy and how it falls into it.

Commercial fishing in Alberta only targets whitefish on most water bodies. SRD is listing the maximum allowable catch quota of the primary target species (Whitefish) as well as the incidental catch of sub species (Pike, Walleye, Trout, etc.). The commercial fishing is monitored/measured by SRD as it occurs and as I understand it will be shut down for the season on the water body in question as soon as first maximum allowable catch quota is reached for any species.

As an example: On Pigeon Lake if only 25,000kg of the 50,000kg Whitefish quota has been caught but 800kg of the 750kg quota of Walleye was caught incidentally, the commercial fishery will be shut down by SRD on Pigeon Lake for that year.

The quotas are scientifically estimated/established for each water body based on index netting and the like.

Don’t confuse commercial fishing with sustenance fishing by aboriginals. Aboriginals have different rights compared to the rest of us. Aboriginals can fish at any time of the year for any species the want by any means of their choosing as long as it is for sustaining purposes (cannot be sold). Same goes for hunting on crown or aboriginal land.

DiehardFishingMan
02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
So not to hijack another thread i'll ask this here.... but does anyone know the reason why they still allow commercial fishing of walleye in some lakes where the avarage angler has been cut off with a zero limit???? seems a little off to me that i have to C&R all the fish i catch, but then can go buy the same fish on the way off the lake from a commercial guy.

... or maybe i'm out to lunch with this one.

Kirby

My understanding is that the fish caught by the net won't survive even if you release then. Thus, the commercial fishing allowe to keep some of the walleye or pike they caught

FishHunterPro
02-04-2014, 02:59 PM
I think once a lake has been damaged and out fished by everyone and the government has to step in and stock the lake it should be closed to everyone.

Red Bullets
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Similar to what Penner posted...
Each lake will have quotas for each species. Whitefish, walleye and pike. When any one of those species quotas is reached while netting, the netting is suspended for the year. Pigeon lakes quota for whites was 44,000 kg. this year.

I believe the commercial fishery is in place to give non anglers the opportunity to access our fresh fish. Not everone fishes.

Some commercial whitefish are exported to other countries too.
Pigeon lake whitefish are well known as 'pigeon lake whitefish' in restaurants in more than one country.

Habfan
02-04-2014, 05:06 PM
Hey Penner just so u realize that treaty Indians must follow all rules and regulations as all recreational fisherman othe than buy a liscence !!! Sustenance fishing is only permitted if a native can prove they need this fish to feed their family. Very seldomly allowed. Hunting on the other hand they can shoot anything anytime ! This is fact !

Penner
02-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Habfan, take a drive around Cold Lake, a few others within the Lakeland, Winifred, the Calling Lake region, etc. and your facts will be fiction. Many sustenance nets around at all times of year even during the spawning season closure. I've spoken to many of the aboriginals myself while they were out placing/pulling their nets.

Habfan
02-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Habfan, take a drive around Cold Lake, a few others within the Lakeland, Winifred, the Calling Lake region, etc. and your facts will be fiction. Many sustenance nets around at all times of year even during the spawning season closure. I've spoken to many of the aboriginals myself while they were out placing/pulling their nets.

Yes I agree , but do you understand the culture of the tribes feeding themselves ? I was commenting more on lakes south of Edmonton Can u blame a person for trying to live off the land up north when they are entitled to ? I'm not a native but a deal is a deal !