PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing on Upper & Lower Kananaskis Lakes

orangefreddie
02-04-2014, 11:16 AM
I was thinking of trying something new. I've never gone ice fishing on Upper/Lower Kananaskis Lake and was looking for some feedback on if it's worth my time. Did a quick search on the forum and didn't find much.

I know there is a Bait Ban, and size regs. Just wondering if anyone has had any good action there on the ice, and to see how accessible the lake is. Otherwise I'll just go catch some little rainbows on Chain Lakes.

binnzer32
02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
If you use the search function on ao lots of posts. Looks good fishing to me

Kokanee9
02-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Watch for sudden storms including wind and snow.

The wind can pick up and then die off as fast as it started.

fentochris
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
zero bait allowed, decent size required to be a keeper and only allowed 1 to keep if I remember..

for the drive to get there.... continue to Spray Lakes or head elsewhere...

Just my 2 cens:sHa_shakeshout:

bubba 96
02-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Was at lower lake two weeks ago lots of ice fished white tube jigs, we targeting bulls, and we were very successful.... Was fishing 80 ft....

orangefreddie
02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Was at lower lake two weeks ago lots of ice fished white tube jigs, we targeting bulls, and we were very successful.... Was fishing 80 ft....

Thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned about having to put them back, got lots of keepers this year already... Would be fun to catch some trout bigger than 12" - 14" in Southern Alberta while ice fishing, and I don't know of too many places where you can do that.

blackmamba
02-04-2014, 01:26 PM
I haven't fished lower yet this year how ever I have fished upper bout 7 times and have iced between 40-60 cutties and a few rainbows .. but have yet to catch one over 50cm ..

bubba 96
02-04-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned about having to put them back, got lots of keepers this year already... Would be fun to catch some trout bigger than 12" - 14" in Southern Alberta while ice fishing, and I don't know of too many places where you can do that.

That's why we fish for bulls, nothing like a 10 min fight to land them...

kevinhits
02-04-2014, 03:47 PM
I was thinking of trying something new. I've never gone ice fishing on Upper/Lower Kananaskis Lake and was looking for some feedback on if it's worth my time. Did a quick search on the forum and didn't find much.

I know there is a Bait Ban, and size regs. Just wondering if anyone has had any good action there on the ice, and to see how accessible the lake is. Otherwise I'll just go catch some little rainbows on Chain Lakes.

Hey Scotty....How's the fishing out at Bearspaw?:bad_boys_20:

NCFlyfishin
02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
here is a link to another thread about Kananaskis lakes ice fishing,

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=204548&highlight=upper+kananaskis+lake+fishing

read through the whole thread and you should get some pretty good ideas! I have ice fished lower k once near interlakes, but I didn't get there till the afternoon and stayed only a few hours, didn't end up catching but it was my first time fishing lower, but i do hear that there is big fish to be had in both, (I fly fish upper for cutties in the summer and have pretty good luck on small nymphs from shore, so try all depths from closer to shore for cuts and further out for bulls, i do hear lower k is better for bulls though. like in the thread i attached a link from try using rainbow trout pattern jigging raps and another good one for bulls would be a white tube jig, never heard it mentioned so i don't know if it would work but i would go in closer to shore and try using small nymphs on light line for cuts. overall the lower lake is usually better for bigger fish (mostly bulls, SOME cuts and rainbows) upper k i think is better if you want a good number of fish.

good luck and give a report when you get back if you decide to go!

NC

cdisco17
02-05-2014, 09:15 PM
There are a few bulls around:)