PDA

View Full Version : min size boat for fishing slave/cold lake

brohymn2
02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Just doi g some research on buying a boat. wondering what your guys opinion is on the min soze pf boat fpr foshing slave and cold lake, i was looking at a few 17 fpoters would this size suffice if it had a 25" transom?

Thanks

binnzer32
02-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I used to guide on lake athabasca with 18 footers.... it gets bigger than both cold or slave lake Just need to know how to drive and handle waves. We did upgrade to 20s it was a great size but not necessary. Depends on what you can afford. I got a 19 foot flats boat (kenner 1902) with a 115 hp merc on back, and I wouldn't hesitate to bring on any lake in alberta sask or Manitoba

binnzer32
02-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Oh and we used alumarine boats. Great aluminums. Durable.

DLP
02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Cold lake opinion

I would suggest 18ft as a minimum but I'm certain that I have seen smaller boats and 17ft lund/crestliners are not out of the question. Basically it comes down to a couple points

How far are you willing to boat away from the launch. I mention this because I have been stuck in some weather more than a few times that has put me to shore because of the size of my boat (18ft crestliner 220hp)

Are you a fair weather fisherman? Would you even consider fishing Cold Lake in 20km/hr winds? These wind speeds (depending on direction) will equate to 3-4ft rollers in open water.

Im not saying I have seen every type of weather sytem on Cold Lake but I have a great respect for the potential to harm myself and others during foul weather. I have upgraded to a 21ft boat and the difference is exponential.

Others I am sure will chime in and share similar opinions and experiences.

Good Question by the way...I asked as many people as I could this same question when I was looking to buy.

Hope this helps,
Dan

browning375
02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I have seen 14ft aluminums cruising on cold lake, just have to pick your days and watch the weather. Just like the ocean, i have seen guys way out where we salmon fish with little aluminum boats with tiller motors on them with no problem.

DiabeticKripple
02-04-2014, 02:20 PM
i have a 14' aluminium and if its white capping i dont go out, or if i do i hide in a sheltered bay.

TylerThomson
02-04-2014, 02:56 PM
I run a 14 foot aluminum Lund on cold Lake. Nothing wrong with a small boat so long as you are aware of the dangers.

cube
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
Just doi g some research on buying a boat. wondering what your guys opinion is on the min soze pf boat fpr foshing slave and cold lake, i was looking at a few 17 fpoters would this size suffice if it had a 25" transom?

Thanks

Some of this would depend on the style of boat you are looking at. For instance you can go to a smaller boat if you are not looking at an open bow. I have an 18.5 ft very deep Lund open bow (1850 LUND Tyee Grand Sport) and there are still lots of days that I can't get to area's I would like to fish. If I had a deep 18.5 ft closed bow I certainly would go the other side more often. As it is when I go to the other side I always keep an eye on the weather. (can't figure out why the radio stations by Cold Lake never have weather reports)

Good luck

skidderman
02-04-2014, 03:48 PM
It depends I guess on how much you intend to push it & how good you are about knowing when to quit. I have a 20 foot thunderjet with a half hardtop and I've had waves come right over top the boat but had the boat to do it. If I was buying today and starting fresh I would not go less than 17 but more to do with comfort than anything else. I once had a 1750 lund tyee & it was very nice for comfort & had good high sides. Chances are if you go shorter you will always be wanting bigger. Go as big as you can within your budget. You will not regret it both for comfort & safety. I know people on Slave who go in a 14 footer but they camp all summer, pick their days & don't go far. Both lakes can get real nasty.

Sooner
02-04-2014, 04:43 PM
I have been on some serious waves and swells on Peerless, Graham, Pinehurst and Calling Lake and that was in dads 12 ft sears alum with a 9.9. Not the best built boat. Never had a problem. Sometimes the best fishing is in light white caps. Never planned to be out in the big nasty stuff but sometimes you get caught out there. Point the nose into the waves and ride it out at a safe speed. Doesn't mean the pucker factor wasn't high. Buy the biggest boat/motor you can afford for the fishing and lakes you want to go to. The use it accordingly. Good luck with your search.

baptiste_moose
02-04-2014, 05:08 PM
Experience also is a major factor. I launch in 4 ft chop at calling with a 16' stilletto smokercraft with a 75 Yamaha. Full windshield. I knew that boat and what I could handle with it as long as I had the right person with me to help with in and out. I'm sure you all know a 4 ft calling chop is a lot rougher then a 4 ft slave chop. Wave intervals is usually the deciding factor.

skidderman
02-04-2014, 06:28 PM
No question a small boat works. I was there when two guys capsized their small boat at the west end of Lac St Anne. Both drowned. Pick yor poison. It's your life.

EZM
02-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Biggest and deepest boat you can afford will give you the most options in questionable weather.

The boat, and your experience will determine when you should go out and when you stay in. All a bigger boat is going to do is give you more opportunity to do some fishing when the conditions are too dangerous for a smaller vessel.

Choosing a boat that is well constructed and able to maintain level flotation can also save your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M30nDtZ4iys

Cool video ........... this provides some comfort to me when i made my choice of boat manufacturer.

Buck9
02-04-2014, 06:44 PM
I've been on cold lake with my 17' Lund and 115 merc at the cold river side. The day was nice and calm and the wind started to pick up from the north west. So decided to head back knowing that this lake can get rough. Difference for me is that by the time I got to Garnett the waves were starting to get big enough and far enough apart that I pretty much had to slow to a crawl. To me that's the CL Slave equation the wave crests are farther apart than most and you can not get any speed without risking your boat shaking apart. Have to ride the swells can not get on top of them. This can make for a long and uncomfortable ride hm. I would suggest min. 18.5' if in the budget

superuke
02-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Have done Slave for 17 years now, nearly every week end from early June to mid September. Had 12 foot, 14 ft and for the last 8 years a 17 ft. Al.
17 ft has a 15 H.P. We always troll therefore prefer a smaller boat.
But common sense is the key. There have been drownings at Slave and Pinehurst with 21 & 23 ft. One the front flipped over, the other the back end filled when stalled.

Lived on Lake Athabasca for 3 years. Used a 16 foot, but once you get to read the weather on the lake you know when to get off the lake.

DLP
02-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I've been on cold lake with my 17' Lund and 115 merc at the cold river side. The day was nice and calm and the wind started to pick up from the north west. So decided to head back knowing that this lake can get rough. Difference for me is that by the time I got to Garnett the waves were starting to get big enough and far enough apart that I pretty much had to slow to a crawl. To me that's the CL Slave equation the wave crests are farther apart than most and you can not get any speed without risking your boat shaking apart. Have to ride the swells can not get on top of them. This can make for a long and uncomfortable ride hm. I would suggest min. 18.5' if in the budget

I 100 percent agrre with you Buck...I don't know how many times I've been trying to out run the weather from cold river. When you finally can see the marina those 2 opposing currents at garnet beach slow you down to an idle. Those swells get so large and so far apart you could easily see how a boat could get swamped in the bow and there is no way to go around it. Another point worth mentioning with the 2 lakes in mention is there isn't really an option to swim to shore when the water is 4 celcius.

ESOXangler
02-04-2014, 08:22 PM
No question a small boat works. I was there when two guys capsized their small boat at the west end of Lac St Anne. Both drowned. Pick yor poison. It's your life.

Big ones capsize too! It's more the operator than the boat! Sometimes you just gotta beach her!

troutmountain
02-04-2014, 08:40 PM
try a larger zodiac with console. very stable and virtually unsinkable

lotw
02-05-2014, 11:21 AM
I agree It is as much the driver as it is the boat. I guided on lake of the woods for years then moved out here 4 years ago. I brought my 14 foot boat and left my 19 footer back east basically because it is easier to tow. I fished cold and slave with the small boat but also sat on shore watching a few days too because of the wind, or limited to smaller lake where the fishing is just not as good. I didn't like either so I switched boats. Because there are basically no islands on either of these lakes to hide behind you still need to watch wind and know when it is safe to go out or stay out.

The transom height only matters depending on the design of the back of a boat - open aluminum boat like lund ssv 18, or the alumarines (they are better) the 25 inch transom is a must not so much for travelling but for fishing you can back into a bigger wave add wave wackers too. I have a 19 foot harbercraft with 20 inch transom but the top of the spalshwell is halfway up my thigh, easliy back into a 4 foot wave with no water in the boat. There are still days when I wont go out just a lot less of them now. I always recommend a bigger boat 17.5 and up and do not underpower it, power is important in big waves and trying to outrun weather. There is a reason Salt water boats always have a min and max HP, fresh water boats should too. 85% of max hp as a minimum is a good ball park number to start at.

anthony5
02-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Most boats in the 14' to 18' with proper hp will suffice in 3'-4' waves with White Caps, if you are going directly into them or following them. As these fishermen said in the earlier posts it is all about experience, if you have not been out on the big water in adverse weather conditions consider a shorter heavier deep hull boat, 14'-16'. The longer 16'-18' open bow aluminiums will give you lots of room, but will be thrown around like a bobber if you get caught in a cross wind and can't get to shore in a hurry. Speed is the biggest culprit in big waves, throttle up into the waves and throttle down in a cross wind and rear wind and ride the waves. If you are hesitant about the weather stay on shore. Buy the best you can afford and think you can handle, and good fishing:sHa_shakeshout: