PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Farms - A Rapidly Deteriorating Situation

Bjay
02-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Have a read on this, I just received it
It's enough to make you sick. I hope this goes around the world. Send it to every one you can think of.

Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 10:18:27 -0800

2 years ago, the Cohen commission was assigned the task of determining the cause of the crash in the number of wild pacific salmon returning to spawn up the Fraser River. They found it could be due to sea lice that infest salmon farms, and that it could be new viruses introduced by atlantic salmon fish eggs imported from Norway for use in salmon farming. They decided on a moratorium on the granting of salmon farming licenses until further study. The Harper government cut funding to federal fisheries researchers. The one lone DFO researcher who found these Norwegian strains of viruses was silenced. So private marine biologist decided to do the research, unfunded. They found viruses in the many wild salmon that had started their spawning runs, but died before releasing their eggs - they had found sea lice infestations of salmon smolts for decades. There results were ignored and disputed by the government bureaucrats. The Harper government has now lifted the ban on granting new open net pen salmon farming licenses on the BC coast.

The entire ecosystem of the BC coast is in peril, as every mammal (land or marine) that preys on salmon, and even the fertility of the forests in river basins depends on wild salmon. Norway lost its wild salmon due to farming. They started farming salmon in Scotland - Scotland lost their wild salmon. Norwegian atlantic fish farms then came to Chile and BC, and we're now about to lose most of our wild salmon.

Watch the documentary 'Salmon Confidential' on YouTube. Never buy farmed atlantic salmon - at supermarkets or in restaurants.
They're diseased and 5x more carcenogenic than wild salmon (Science Magazine). Then please sign the petition. These viruses deadly to salmon are here now - there is no time to lose on this one.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 7:51 AM
Subject: Salmon Farms - A Rapidly Deteriorating Situation

The Harper government of Canada gave the Norwegian salmon feedlot industry the green light to expand in BC. Days later on January 28, 2014, the biggest Norwegian company using British Columbia to grow "salmon" was listed on the New York Stock Exchange. They are talking big expansion, looking for US investors. Each fish farm is now issued a federal licence giving the companies the power to use fish infected with salmon viruses in their farms. I am in court fighting this. This is a death sentence to the wild salmon of British Columbia.
Each salmon farm also needs a provincial licence - a rental agreement for the seafloor below the floating farm. I need your help to send a clear message to the Premier of British Columbia - do not rent the seafloor to the salmon farming industry. See my blog for details http://alexandramorton.typepad.com Please share this petition with your friends and family - for the wild salmon. Thank you

This message was sent by Alexandra Morton using the Change.org system. You received this email because you signed a petition started by Alexandra Morton on Change.org: "Restore wild salmon, Ban salmon feedlots in BC." Change.org does not endorse the contents of this message.
View the petition
Unsubscribe from updates about this petition

CanuckShooter
02-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Some people would consider this fear mongering....:thinking-006:

NCFlyfishin
02-04-2014, 08:15 PM
I have seen the video salmon confidential, this is definitely sickening, and I would one day like to fish for salmon in BC, and I do hope they put a stop to this sooner than later. I just signed the petition

pikergolf
02-04-2014, 08:53 PM
signed and forwarded to 4 people.

coors04
02-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Also signed it and passed it on to as many people as I could. This is very important and takes less the 5 min. Please help are salmon by doing the same.

Tight lines everyone

ironbutterfly
02-04-2014, 11:57 PM
I'd be interested to know when the moratorium ended. The last couple of years have had record salmon runs in BC. If it's been since lifted it should become pretty clear there is a connection if this years runs are a bust.

Personally cuts to government enforcement agencies regarding environmental matters have caused me some alarm. Enough I wrote to him. At a round table a guy who worked for environment canada who did not have good things to say about such cuts solidified this sentiment for me. I'm a geophysicist and work in oil and gas but man, as a fisherman I have my fears about what the industry is up to sometimes.

mikebossy
02-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Some people would consider this fear mongering....:thinking-006:

if you spent an hour or ten you might have a background to base that statement on, obviously so far you haven't checked into the facts, i'll do some of the legwork, perhaps you can spend the time to read the articles...

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/canadian-taxpayers-bail-norwegian-fish-farms-diseased-fish/

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/06/11/pressure-grows-on-farmed-salmon/

http://www.nosalmonfarmsatsea.com/archives/871

that's a start
you could debate these stories, as the government has done, but along with them you would have no evidence to defend yourself as the government has studied none of this that is allowed to be seen by the Canadian public, its own scientists have been silenced,

mikebossy
02-05-2014, 09:55 PM
went to fish the Vedder/Chilliwack River in October, and to help make it a less expensive i picked up some rideshare passengers, one of whom worked in a fish processing plant that processed both farmed Atlantic salmon and wild Pacific salmon. This person told of how disgusting the farmed salmon were in appearance, smell, look, etc. compared to wild salmon, and how the plant reaked when the farmed salmon came through.

trainerdave
02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Totally disgusting. People are worried about oil going across the mountains. This is worse. The dissapearance of wild salmon could spell the death of hundreds of watersheds and entire ecosystems. Our federal government is shameful. Get off your butts and sign before it is too late. We can argue about the oil later.

CanuckShooter
02-06-2014, 08:39 PM
if you spent an hour or ten you might have a background to base that statement on, obviously so far you haven't checked into the facts, i'll do some of the legwork, perhaps you can spend the time to read the articles...

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/canadian-taxpayers-bail-norwegian-fish-farms-diseased-fish/

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/06/11/pressure-grows-on-farmed-salmon/

http://www.nosalmonfarmsatsea.com/archives/871

that's a start
you could debate these stories, as the government has done, but along with them you would have no evidence to defend yourself as the government has studied none of this that is allowed to be seen by the Canadian public, its own scientists have been silenced,

Maybe if they let all these new salmon farms go ahead and all the wild salmon die off people will quit voting for them? Seriously do you think your government would deliberately kill off the wild salmon stocks???

pikergolf
02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Maybe if they let all these new salmon farms go ahead and all the wild salmon die off people will quit voting for them? Seriously do you think your government would deliberately kill off the wild salmon stocks???

If there's money in doing it, you bet I think they'd do it.