PDA

View Full Version : Float Tubes, Fishing Kayaks or Pontoons?

WCTHEMI
02-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, did a search, but much of the information I found is several years old. I would like to get something that would get me off the shore to fish. Lakes mostly, maybe out on the river if I get comfortable enough. Is there a big difference in which one would feel the most stable in the water? Looks like they are fairly close in weight capacity from what I have seen. Any brands that are best and any brands to watch out for? Thanks.

mikeym
02-05-2014, 04:44 PM
well if you want to use it for both rivers and lakes then your two choices are a pontoon or kayak. a float tube is way too dangerous to use in a river as your feet are below you and can easily get snagged and pull you under.

i have a Water Skeeter pontoon boat (i think they are out of buisness now) and find it suits me quite nicely and has stood up real nice to the abuse i put it thru over the years. never tried a kayak so can't really say anything positive or negative about them.

the nice thing about a pontoon is that you are up and out of the water so you can stay relatively drier then in a float tube. also find that you can cover more of a lake with a pontoon boat as they are quicker to paddle around then a float tube. also with the back rack you can carry a lot more gear and most also come with a mount for an electric motor (never tried one, so can't really say how easy or not they are to use). i just use flippers to mostly get around the lake and use the oars when i want to cover a big distance quickly.

only real downside is they are big and cumbersome to cart around. usually takes 2 people to load and unload one into the water. some people have made carts for theirs, so that is something to look into. they do break down into pieces to make it a little more convienent to transport. also in windy conditions they tend to get blown around a lot more then a float tube.

can't really say which brands are better or worse then others, but the old adage does apply, you get what you pay for. the more expensive ones usually have better construction and bladder material then the cheaper models. also a lot more accessories.

my 2 cents

rgds
Mike

Cory1
02-05-2014, 04:54 PM
As I have also been exploring these options, a valuable piece of information I have picked up is that if you plan on fly-fishing the float tube is the only way to go.

If your rowing around in a kayak or pontoon you can't be fishing, and as everyone knows if your not fishing then you aren't catching fish.

As I an trying to get into fly-fishing a little bit more, this is the likely option I will take.

Not sure if it applys to you or helps at all.

Cory

Bhflyfisher
02-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Not true about float tubes being the only way to fly fish lakes.

As soon as you figure out that trolling around all day is not the be all and end all of stillwater fishing. A pontoon boat can be very versatile. If you're looking at lake fishing, ideally you want something you can dual anchor. On from the bow and one from the stern. This way you can cast and fish as you wish, without swaying around in the wind like a float tube would.

Even if you do want to troll all day, a pontoon is great if you have a light electric motor, you can put on flippers and set the motor to reverse, control your path with your flippers, all while being trolled around very slowly. Much easier then kicking with flippers all day long in a tube. Plus you can rip around the lake and make more progress getting away from the boat launch rather then sticking to within 500m of the boat launch with a float tube.

If you're looking at lakes and floating rivers, a pontoon is a great choice. Very versatile in all ways. A kayak could be a great idea too, but harder to keep control of your anchors, and boats position while fishing.

I would advise against a float tube entirely unless you plan on going back country and getting to hike in lakes. I dont even use my float tubes anymore really.

If you're looking into pontoons, budget about 500 minimum, and look at outcasts. They have some great models in the 500-1000 range that have motor mounts, and the proper frames to make you feel safe on the river. If you've got a bunch of cash burning in your pocket, look at dave scadden boats. They are the cats behind.

muskokagould
02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
what about canoe, pretty hard to beat in my opinion.:)
plus cut through water pretty goodwith trolling motor

kayak is alright but they aren't that comfortable for long periods and a bit tricky at times.

but out of the three options listed id say you'd be most comfortable and mobile in a pontoon.

TylerThomson
02-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Can't troll in a ponton? If you spend some money on a decent pair of flippers you sure can that's what I do. Or get a rod holder and use the oars. I don't have ab electric motor for mine but I've thought about it. I have a fish cat that I picked up on kijiji with a piranha max fish finder, oars, Scotty rod holder, and a aluminum easy launcher. it's basically am aluminum leg attached to the frame that drops down and you can roll it around holding onto the foot bars and it folds up under behind the seat when in the water so it doesn't produce drag. I got the whole package for 350 but the pontoons were faded from Red to orange. 30 bucks in vinyl paint from Canadian tire and it looks brand new.

Northern Yaker
02-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Fishing kayak hands down, if you want to fish anything with lots of boat traffic, rivers or large bodies of water.
I was in the same spot as you several years ago, & realize how lucky I am to have made the right choice. And it seems like you've been misinformed as well.
Trolling and fishing is a breeze with a proper rod holder set up, in front of you or behind, caught tons of fish trolling my kayak.hell they even make peddle kayaks. Holding fishing position is a breeze with a 5lb anchor, and I'm upgrading to a anchor trolley just for more precise positioning. I know lots of guys who flyfish from their yaks as well. Can't see fly fishing being as easy from a pontoon or a float tube where you cant stand. the fishing kayaks that are made now a days are so stable, I stand and cast all the time, even when boats ate ripping around me

For more check out the kayak reviews or ask some of the guys on canadiankayakanglers.com

TylerThomson
02-08-2014, 11:45 AM
no way I could stand in my pontoon. That's pretty cool I'd love to get a kayak just for the amount of water you could cover in one. Ive seen guys just fly across the lake in those things. Just to be clear I wasn't saying that pontoons are better just that you can troll in them.

Forest Techer
02-08-2014, 12:03 PM
There are a lot of pictures of people standing in their pontoon casting. Also trolling.

Is that not normal?

greylynx
02-08-2014, 02:31 PM
You can always put a float tube or pontoon boat on the kayak if need be.

The dog might be a little cramped, but he will forgive you. Not like a woman.

Just saying.

jkind
02-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Fishing kayak hands down, if you want to fish anything with lots of boat traffic, rivers or large bodies of water.
I was in the same spot as you several years ago, & realize how lucky I am to have made the right choice. And it seems like you've been misinformed as well.
Trolling and fishing is a breeze with a proper rod holder set up, in front of you or behind, caught tons of fish trolling my kayak.hell they even make peddle kayaks. Holding fishing position is a breeze with a 5lb anchor, and I'm upgrading to a anchor trolley just for more precise positioning. I know lots of guys who flyfish from their yaks as well. Can't see fly fishing being as easy from a pontoon or a float tube where you cant stand. the fishing kayaks that are made now a days are so stable, I stand and cast all the time, even when boats ate ripping around me

For more check out the kayak reviews or ask some of the guys on canadiankayakanglers.com

X2

thumper
02-08-2014, 04:05 PM
X3

I've been fishing from float tubes for 30 years, but once I started fishing from kayaks, I've never looked back. Now I use a Hobie kayak - hands-free with the Mirage (pedal) drive system. Very comfy and dry seat (on the Professional Angler models), I can also rig an electric motor onto it, and even have a sail kit for it.
Works well for hunting ducks too.

goldscud
02-08-2014, 04:23 PM
I do a ton of lake fishing from a float tube (Fish Cat 4). It is easy to set up an anchor system (I use an 8lb rubberized dumbbell). While my friends are putting their pontoons together I am already bringing in fish. And when the wind starts blowing their pontoons around I just sit anchored and fish. In the past few years my buddies do not even bother with their pontoons any more and we all sit in our Fish Cat 4s. The only problem with a Fish Cat is if you want to travel more than a couple of kilometers or you would like to sight fish standing up. Other than that it is one of the best fishing tools I own. Just get a good set of big diving fins and you are set

goldscud
02-08-2014, 04:35 PM
How do kayaks do in a 30 km/hr wind? Is it hard to keep fishing?

jkind
02-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Hey guys, did a search, but much of the information I found is several years old. I would like to get something that would get me off the shore to fish. Lakes mostly, maybe out on the river if I get comfortable enough. Is there a big difference in which one would feel the most stable in the water? Looks like they are fairly close in weight capacity from what I have seen. Any brands that are best and any brands to watch out for? Thanks.

If you are not in a hurry go to the Edmonton Sportsmans show March 13-16 and check out some kayaks there.

I will be working the Glenmore Sailboats booth on Sunday the 16th. but there should be someone there each day that can answer your questions about the fishing kayaks.

I own a couple of float tubes, a pontoon boat and 2 kayaks and have only used the kayaks the last few years...Stop by the booth and have a chat.

Jim

jkind
02-08-2014, 04:59 PM

I fished Wabamun this year in high winds and was thankful I was in a kayak and not in my float tube or pontoon boat...if you fish in high winds you will want a rudder on your kayak(some kayaks come with them some don't). I don't think twice about fishing in the wind with my kayak.

Jim

Junglefisher
02-08-2014, 05:07 PM

I would have thought any type of fishing would be quite dificult in 30kmh winds, especially on shallow Alberta lakes.
Having said that, i fish out of a cheapo pelican from CT as all my good kayaks are still in Australia. I've been out on the lakes plenty of times fishing when everyone else has deemed it too rough / windy for their boats and tubes.
I've never used a pontoon boat or float tube but kayak fishing is my favourite form of fishing that I have tried. I've certainly never seen the people in tubes outfishing me and it's nice to be able to cover anywhere on the lake within 1/2 an hour. I know several people who fly fish from theirs but I could never try that. I troll a lot - I find it quite an effective method on lakes. Casting mostly on rivers though.

Northern Yaker
02-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Winds are usually not a huge consideration when I go out either it definitely makes the paddling a better workout tho and it would make standing near impossible. I have fished Cold Lake several times putting on many,many miles. Also the largest natural lake in BC in less than ideal conditions and couldn't imagine doing that in a pontoon or float tube.

goldscud
02-08-2014, 08:54 PM
I only fly fish and spend a bunch of time in windy spots in the south. Very rarely do I do any trolling (mostly creeping along shorelines or anchored). I only get nervous in my tube once the wind gets over 40 km/hr and waves start crashing over my back. Fish are not threatened at all by tubes and treat you like a big goose. It makes sneaking in quietly very easy and fish often swim right by you.
Perhaps I will have to try a kayak, but I have a feeling I would feel safer in my tube in a big wind.

HuyFishin
02-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Can't speak for float tube or pontoon boats because I've never tried. But me and my fiance do kayak fishing, and we're addicted