PDA

View Full Version : NB1 Area Report For Feb 3&4

SNAPFisher
02-05-2007, 12:28 PM
NB1 area.....rocks!! With so many lakes to choose from it is always a hard decision where to fish. Maybe I need to give up my day job so I can hit more lakes....yeah!...that would be a smart decision I'm sure :)

Myself and a friend hit Whitefish Lake by about 8:15 a.m. It looks like some people have been driving on the lake so I was jazzed that we would not be real trail blazers. Still, no one had been on since the last little snow fall and crazy winds of last week. We walked out and surveyed where to get on. I shoveled out two tracks coming onto the lake for about 50 feet.....weeee! It was still a challenge to get the truck through the deeper drifts and out onto the lake. Good thing it is down hill getting on.....getting off....
4x4 a definite must in NB1. Even then, I suggest checking out an area ahead of time and knowing what your vehicle can handle. Getting stuck is not necessarily a hardship. Getting stuck by yourself in -35 degree weather could be dangerous.

We fished out in the middle of the lake around a big hill that comes right up to the surface. Great structure! The first hole we picked was the best one of the day. We saw whites, tullibee, pike, walleye, perch, burbot and multi-sucker species…..ummm yeah :D

The ice was as thick as 20 inches in some places and the thinnest we found was about 15 inches. Below are some pics from our day out.

On Sunday, we tried to get onto FloatingStone Lake but no one has blazed any trails there and the South side launch was closed….grrrrr. Plan B was Garner Lake just down the highway. There is a lot of snow on Garner. There are some nice tracks though that you can follow out to the first point. That is where we set-up and fished the same holes all day. The perch and pike fishing was excellent. The pike were bitting more in the afternoon. Ice at Garner was about 22 inches.

We left at 3 p.m. tired and smiling. What an awesome day! Just a reminder though, Garner is zero limit for pike and walleye and limited for perch but the lake appears to be doing extremely well. This is good news. It also has a total bait ban. The perch and pike certainly didn’t mind hitting bare hooks which is a real treat!

A great fishing weekend in NB1.

Here are some pics from Whitefish Lake:

A big burb just over 8 lbs!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/WFL002.jpg

First walleye.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/WFL009.jpg

2nd and bigger walleye! Nice fish.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/WFL010.jpg

Cheers!

bigbore
02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
nice report SNAP, ive been trying to get out to Garner myself. not so happy to here about all the snow:p

SNAPFisher
02-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks BB! Yeah, the snow makes it challenging. Still, there were two good tracks leading onto Garner. Not a lot but something to follow. Your light 4x4 should be fine. The only thing is the tracks are about a foot deep in places getting on so clearance is needed. Bring a shovel, sand and maybe some chains if you do go.

Cheers!