PDA

View Full Version : Any Chain Lake(Athabasca) Ice Reports?

Whitetail77
02-06-2014, 09:27 AM
Hi Everyone,
Trying to get out next week to Chain and wonder what the ice conditions are like and if there's flood water. With the recent warming followed by freezing I assume the flood water situation has improved on most lakes?

baptiste_moose
02-06-2014, 09:48 AM
No flood water. Drive on is all good. Have fun limiting in 20 min on muddy trout. I hope u have a smoker.

Whitetail77
02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Sounds like action should be good, so kids will love it.

baptiste_moose
02-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Perfect lake for kids. My little guy loves it

Sooner
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Haven't been there in years, Might have to try the cabelas boxing day tent out. Be nice to have the kids catch some. Can you see the fish if your in the tent? We used to just watch bobbers(no tent back then)

stubblejumper01
02-07-2014, 10:19 AM
The tent is the way to go. You can see the bottom in at least 15' of water. I was there at Xmas just out from the swimming area. There were constantly fish under me. You will get bites for awhile then they will ignore your bait but as soon as you change hooks they start biting again.
I use Gypsi jigs tipped with mealworms, maggots, a piece of dew worm,or power bait. Lots of people use corn or velveta too. Kids will love it.

baptiste_moose
02-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Where u head on the lake head left. There's a creek that flows out and u wanna fish about 400 yds to the left of that launch. There a point on the left. U wanna fish off that in 8-10 for water. If u go another 30-40 yds out there a trench that been shaped from the creek. U basic wanna fish the high ground right off that trench. You'll prob get a couple around 17-18". We always manage a few big ones forage minnow with a drop chain is what we use. Or 1/16" oz oddballs. Worms and maggots for the win!!