PDA

View Full Version : Are we killing our lakers?????

rapalaman
02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
I was born at Cold lake,Alberta i have fished this lake literally thousands of times and have caught thousands of fish, some days in the summer it is not uncommon to pull 50 or more lakers from the depths and thats only from two or three people in one boat!

Now on a good warm week its no problem for that lake to see a few hundred boats per day all week and even double that on a hot weekend! Now i have come across some information that i believe will change or at least if its true Should change the way we fish for this species.

So as it turns out we all fish for Lakers in deep water in fact it pretty much common knowledge that if you want to catch Lakers you gotta hit em in 80ft of water or more at least for the majority of the year.

I came across this older video publication on very big laker fishing on lake Athabasca and in it it states that being pulled up from depths of over 40 ft you are almost 100% of the time either killing or seriously injuring the fish regardless of how fast you release the fish back into the water.

Now as i saw this i couldn't help but think of how much of a disservice we could all be doing to not just Cold lake trout but but in all bodies of water across the whole country!! i think that if there is any truth to this even a little we owe it to the fish and ourselves to consider finding these fish in shallower water or maybe getting the regs changed somehow so that we can limit the fish that are dieing.

I'm not sure if this will change anything but all i can do is get the info that i have out there hopefully people will see it and make there own judgment calls and if by chance this video and my artical saves even a few big lakers from having there last picture taken!! then its all good.

This is the link to the video i saw please watch it and if not all of it at least look at 4:20 to 5:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJVqBjgh-N0

aulrich
02-06-2014, 04:29 PM
I thought lakers were one of the fish that could survive, due to differences in their swim bladder vs other fresh water fish.

I have seen plenty of walleye with bladders distended, but no lakers IIRC

CNP
02-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I thought lakers were one of the fish that could survive, due to differences in their swim bladder vs other fresh water fish.

I have seen plenty of walleye with bladders distended, but no lakers IIRC

From Wikipedia - TROUT

The swim bladder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swim_bladder) is connected to the esophagus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophagus), allowing for gulping or rapid expulsion of air

ak-71
02-06-2014, 04:56 PM
You can actually see bubbles in the summer

Pudelpointer
02-06-2014, 06:09 PM
So, is World Class Laker Bob a fish biologist?

Just because he says it is so, doesn't make it so.

I have not heard of such concerns for salmonids. Maybe your own observations suggest a different reality than what is being presented in the video?

You are apparently catching many trout every day, and are seeing many boats on the water every day. Assuming that everyone is experiencing moderately decent catches, do you think it likely that the Lake Trout population in Cold Lake could sustain even a fraction of that pressure if mortality rates were even a fraction of what Bob is stating in that video?

rapalaman
02-06-2014, 06:43 PM
i thought about that as well actually and its hard to argue that fact but at the same time maybe the fish are living only a short while i mean out of sight out of mind right?

i do think you have a valid point as to populations would drop and collapse due to those kind of numbers but even if the rate is say only 20% of all trout pulled out of water over 40 feet die that would not be noticed for a long time or at least not till its too late. All I'm saying is that if you love lake trout fishing and take our resource seriously i don't think its a bad idea for everyone to look into this matter further and gather more info and by all means if you know any biologists ask them i will do the same.

fish gunner
02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
The lake would look like sylvan at dusk with all the c&r fish belly up at the leeward end of the lake. Ie hunderds of dead fish like pine or pigeon, or any of our other over developed lakes.

-JR-
02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Had a laker follow my hook from 90 down to just under the ice in seconds , he never bit the hook just watched him up close.
So why would he do that if it would kill him ?

SNAPFisher
02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
blah blah blah blah blah....save the fishes!!! blah blah blah blab blah blah

You might think that every fish caught dying might result in a little "visual"...or how about overwhelming evidence floating about. You might even expect 50+ floating dead lakers around your boat everytime you go out...

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

BassDude
02-06-2014, 07:50 PM
http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/newsletter/2013/05/let_em_down_easy_returning_a_fish_to_deep_water.ht ml

Interesting....

fisherman420
02-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I agree with JR. I've seen so many lktr chase my lure over 80ft in seconds then go straight back to bottom. They're not perch people, they can endure major depth changes in a hurry with slim to no effect on them....that is unless it bites my lure at 100ft and comes through the ice...and it's legal length....candy lktr...mmmmm

Levy
02-06-2014, 08:08 PM
blah blah blah blah blah....save the fishes!!! blah blah blah blab blah blah

You might think that every fish caught dying might result in a little "visual"...or how about overwhelming evidence floating about. You might even expect 50+ floating dead lakers around your boat everytime you go out...

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

It's attitudes and comments like this that make people leave this forum. Incidental mortalities are a real thing, that real biologists have researched. The paper I read on incidental mortalities recorded mortality rates between 2 and 30 percent. Two important factors affecting the mortality rate were water temp, and depth. This guy wants great laker fishing to last for generations not five or ten years. It's a crime more people don't stop to think about how they impact a fishery every time they access it.

TylerThomson
02-06-2014, 08:23 PM
it's a crime people believe everything they see on YouTube.

SNAPFisher
02-06-2014, 09:19 PM
It's attitudes and comments like this that make people leave this forum. Incidental mortalities are a real thing, that real biologists have researched. The paper I read on incidental mortalities recorded mortality rates between 2 and 30 percent. Two important factors affecting the mortality rate were water temp, and depth. This guy wants great laker fishing to last for generations not five or ten years. It's a crime more people don't stop to think about how they impact a fishery every time they access it.

blah blah blah blah blah blah Will somebody please think of the minnows!!!! blah blah blah blah blah blah Give me a break! blah blah blah blah blah blah

wellpastcold
02-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Yes. Everyone should stop fishing for them except me.

surhuntsalot
02-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Truth is Lakers may be able to regulate their swim bladders. What they can't regulate is the other practices inflicted on them. Fingers through the gills to hold them up for a picture before they're dropped bleeding back down the hole.... People stepping on them while they're flopping on the ice to take the hook out.... Even if 1 in 10 doesn't make it, on a "50 fish" day you've killed 5 times your daily limit even if you release them all....

EZM
02-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Lakers, as with most Char, will be uneffected by rapid depth change.

They do, however, bleed when poked in the gills by "jimmy fat fingers", and get exhausted when engaged in a long fight by "joe 4lb test with light drag pro star".

It is likely these factor play a much larger role in any mortality.

The article is video is bunk ......... don't believe everything you see or read on the "interweb" ........

tight line
02-06-2014, 10:10 PM
Had a laker follow my hook from 90 down to just under the ice in seconds , he never bit the hook just watched him up close.
So why would he do that if it would kill him ?

This!! That is all!

tight line
02-06-2014, 10:28 PM
And i know every angler is different, but i have more of my own blood on the ice removing hooks that are properly set in the lip, than Laker blood. Fish smart, if they are hitting light, maybe keep the stingers on, nailing it, go with out. I had one fish out of well over a hundred, that took thehook bad, and thankfully he was a keeper. I grab them out of the hole by the side of their gill, and if you are patient and do it right, your hands are nowhere near their gills, if you keep your finger to the front there is actually a layer of thick skin that separates their gills. I can confidently say my mortality rate on released lakers is very low! That being said i care greatly about the well being of the fish i release and take in all information i read on it :)

EZM
02-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Read this ......... page 136 ........ capture depth ........ Lake Trout

http://www3.carleton.ca/fecpl/pdfs/Bartholomew%20Review.pdf

Conclusion - 6 studies, sound scientific studies, reported ZERO capture depth incidents of mortality in Lake Trout. ZERO, NONE .....

You video is absolute bunk. The amount of misinformation in this video is staggering.

I love the "interweb".

huntsfurfish
02-06-2014, 11:03 PM
So, is World Class Laker Bob a fish biologist?

Just because he says it is so, doesn't make it so.

I have not heard of such concerns for salmonids. Maybe your own observations suggest a different reality than what is being presented in the video?

You are apparently catching many trout every day, and are seeing many boats on the water every day. Assuming that everyone is experiencing moderately decent catches, do you think it likely that the Lake Trout population in Cold Lake could sustain even a fraction of that pressure if mortality rates were even a fraction of what Bob is stating in that video?

Good post.
Agree!

rapalaman
02-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Im so glad that was put to bed with scientific proof and data!!!! I must be a retard and completely naive to believe something on the internet!! now i feel bad because i called everyone that fishes for lakers in deep water .....FISH KILLERS!!

.....BUT WAIT i never said i believe what that video said nor did i call anyone a fish killer!! if some of you so called outdoors men lol would read what was said before jumping to conclude that I'm wrong!!, when you have not one shred of real proof yourself you might come to understand that all i did was ask a ? think for yourself is what i said....right????

What i never said was please respond with data sheet and reports that you yourself most likely pulled of the ....inter web!!! lmao first you say bla bla bla bla save the minnows bull S#@t which by the way was really cool and informative if fact with that display of I.Q I'm going to start clapping now and give a ''good for you!!'' shout out im impressed that you got your power on let alone typed some letters!!! bla bla bla.
Forgive me for being concerned.:thinking-006:

skidderman
02-06-2014, 11:28 PM
If it was true one should see dead lakers floating on top a lot more I would think. I've also heard that bringing them up slow was better but just one person's opinion. Strange because I get mine at 55 feet and shallower. I've had better luck at that depth than deeper but I'm no expert.

rapalaman
02-06-2014, 11:39 PM
If it was true one should see dead lakers floating on top a lot more I would think. I've also heard that bringing them up slow was better but just one person's opinion. Strange because I get mine at 55 feet and shallower. I've had better luck at that depth than deeper but I'm no expert.

yes i agree you would think there would be more floating around and the reasoning behind bringing em up slow is to let the fish release the gas and air on its own before it expands to large and cause borotrama.

fish gunner
02-06-2014, 11:42 PM
yes i agree you would think there would be more floating around and the reasoning behind bringing em up slow is to let the fish release the gas and air on its own before it expands to large and cause borotrama.

Leaving the fish immersed helps relieve expansion. Lake char are well adapted to rapid changes indepth as are all trout to various degrees.

davegrant
02-07-2014, 06:28 AM
If you want accurate information just talk to the local biologists who constantly monitor the lakes. Talked to Cold Lake biologist and the reason for the larger size limit ( 75 CM ) is that there was poor year classes in 2003 to 2006 and the number of lake trout was low so these year classes needed to be protected so population could catch up. It's amazing the accurate information you get when you go to the right sources.

58thecat
02-07-2014, 06:52 AM
If you want accurate information just talk to the local biologists who constantly monitor the lakes. Talked to Cold Lake biologist and the reason for the larger size limit ( 75 CM ) is that there was poor year classes in 2003 to 2006 and the number of lake trout was low so these year classes needed to be protected so population could catch up. It's amazing the accurate information you get when you go to the right sources.

Exactly you get a group of people who fish, throw in a bunch of opinions based on time on water, size of boat, and we get expert opinions...usually induced by a few wobbly pops and then man they are marine biologists! Which reminds me I got to go get another drink.....:happy0180:

dbllung
02-07-2014, 07:24 AM
In My humble opinion the BIG threat to the lake trout is the fact that we are allowed to keep the large mature spawners... This conservation model is destined to produce a collapse in heavily fished water bodies... I believe that swim bladder distention is the LEAST of the lakers problems....

Slot limits or max size limits should be a requirement.. Spawning age fish should be protected

IMO

tight line
02-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Rapalaman, do you have a flasher/ sonar? That for me put to bed any question of weather swim bladder fatalities occured, i could read every BS paper wrote on this.. But when you watch a Laker at Cold go from 100-5 ft chasing your hook OR Actual Cisco, or Lakers at Abraham chase from 200ft up, and then go right back down! Why would they do this if it killed/hurt them? One of the reasons i love fishing for them!

TylerThomson
02-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks ezm for posting a study with verifiable sources and what at a glance looks like sounds scientific method.

Rapala your the one doing harm you you weren't just innocently asking a question as you claim and poor you had everyone jump on your back. You were spreading false information and sitting up fears all based on a you tube video. You realize anyone can pay anything they want in you tube. there is nothing wrong with what ezm did by pulling info from the web. His came with verifiable sources yours was a self purported you tube expert. I hope you can see the difference. it's attitudes like yours that give e thing like homeopathy and all the rest off the junk out there credence. Do some basic research on the subject rather than stirring up fear.

wellpastcold
02-07-2014, 09:11 AM
In My humble opinion the BIG threat to the lake trout is the fact that we are allowed to keep the large mature spawners... This conservation model is destined to produce a collapse in heavily fished water bodies... I believe that swim bladder distention is the LEAST of the lakers problems....

Slot limits or max size limits should be a requirement.. Spawning age fish should be protected

IMO

I totally agree. If the concern is poor recruitment in a couple year classes as posted earlier, the answer can't be to increase the minimum size for retention of fish. Shut it down to C&R for a couple years. It will take a hell of a lot longer than that to replace all of the 75 cm plus fish being harvested now. Large lake trout are not even close to the table fare that a smaller fish is. Cold Lake is an awesome fishery, it deserves better.

binnzer32
02-07-2014, 09:15 AM
From personal experience I disagree. I use a cradle or no net at all just long pliers... They go back fine. .. mind you I rarely fished deeper than 30 feet aside from august when I would jig soft baits or downrig 50-80feet. Never saw many floaters in 4years guiding and about 20 boats guiding and fishing june1- oct1

J D
02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Trout can handle depth changes a lot better than a lot of other species. Yes, they can be disoriented and stressed bringing them from depths but they can recover.

Poor handling can no doubt kill them and it is not always instant. Messing with gills is a bad idea for C&R yes it is possible to just hold the gill plate but fish move and damage can be done when this happens. Trauma from stepping on, dropping, and squeezing too hard can cause mortality.

That said just like all animals some will survive injuries that have a possibility to kill them. Seen fish heal from huge otter bites that should have killed them. They can be extremely delicate and tough as nails at the same time

As for the expecting to see all dead fish float to the top this is not always the case. Some dead fish will lay on the bottom until gasses build up causing them to float. If the body cavity is punctured or they are eaten by scavengers you will never see them float up.

I have 7 years of working with salmoniods and the above is from my observations and research.

Handling practices are very important and legal deeply hook fish should be kept as there survival rate is lower than many would think. The depth issue brought up here is not a problem in my opinion.

Do your best to respect the fish you release and you should have very little mortality

booboo74
02-07-2014, 09:42 AM
blah blah blah blah blah blah Will somebody please think of the minnows!!!! blah blah blah blah blah blah Give me a break! blah blah blah blah blah blah

Everybody should read what this poster has to say, he is very informative and contributes great knowledge.

LCCFisherman
02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
The issue is it takes handling 30 fish before you get a legal. Where if it was back to 65cm ur done fishing in the first 5 fish. Don't even get me started on the quality of fish that a 75cm is on the table :sick:

J D
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
If you guys really want to know what increases the odds of mortality from fish handling I can post it but some are not going to like what I have to say.

I have learned a lot from transferring thousands of trout around and from mistakes I have personally made I have a good idea on some of things you should not do. You learn a lot when you can observe the fish for long periods of time after handling.

And yes there are some common C&R practices that are said to be OK that definitely increase the odds of mortality and injury.

I just have no interest in arguing with someone who does not agree so if I choose to post this info take the advice or not it is your choice. I am not going to dispute things I have experienced first hand.

booboo74
02-07-2014, 10:33 AM
JD, i'm always in for learning more. pm me if you'd rather.

pikeslayer22
02-07-2014, 11:08 AM
The issue is it takes handling 30 fish before you get a legal. Where if it was back to 65cm ur done fishing in the first 5 fish. Don't even get me started on the quality of fish that a 75cm is on the table :sick:
x2...kind of like the 63cm pike in alot of lakes

iliketrout
02-07-2014, 12:03 PM
I love using my flasher to see lakers on the bottom, disinterested in my presentation, and then I start reeling fast and watch the laker rocket off the bottom and hit the lure at very shallow depths. Same goes when mooching for Salmon on the coast, watching them tear through bait balls that are 40-50' tall. Like other posters stated, they wouldn't do this if it was detrimental to their health (apart from biting the hook lol).

To rapalaman I commend you for being concerned about the health of our fisheries, but I think the barotrauma is the least of a laker's concerns during a C&R...deep hooks, improper handling, finger in the gill, and extended periods out of the water for photos would be more a concern IMO.

dbllung
02-07-2014, 01:31 PM
I have fished lakers for a decade now in Northern Manitoba and we fish for them on the bottom in 100 to 105 fow... Every fish (if brought up slowly) will vent bubbles on the way up and have little issue heading back down.. I am sure that some of them do parish from catch and release BUT in that Province you must let the large ones go. If you get a bleeder or bloater you can retain them as part of your limit...(as long as they are UNDER 65cm) This "top down" fisheries management IMO is a more sound policy.... Fish larger than 65cm get to live for another 50 years and populate the lake with legal sized fish...

Managing the fishery to protect the spawning population also allows undersized fish, that are bloated or bleeding to be harvested rather than tossed back for the gulls....

Makes more sense to me... Never Understood why we don't follow the same sound fisheries management practices here in this province..

It is great to be concerned about the perils of C&R (it is a valid concern!!) but proper management of the fishery, can help to alleviate some of the stresses on the spawning population ..

IMO

The Reel Deal
02-07-2014, 04:07 PM
If you guys really want to know what increases the odds of mortality from fish handling I can post it but some are not going to like what I have to say.

I have learned a lot from transferring thousands of trout around and from mistakes I have personally made I have a good idea on some of things you should not do. You learn a lot when you can observe the fish for long periods of time after handling.

And yes there are some common C&R practices that are said to be OK that definitely increase the odds of mortality and injury.

I just have no interest in arguing with someone who does not agree so if I choose to post this info take the advice or not it is your choice. I am not going to dispute things I have experienced first hand.

I'm sorry,
I missed the advice... Pls pm, I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong

Lakers
02-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Ditto - please share

58thecat
02-07-2014, 04:21 PM

IMO

X2

wellpastcold
02-07-2014, 04:51 PM

X2

EZM
02-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks ezm for posting a study with verifiable sources and what at a glance looks like sounds scientific method.

Rapala your the one doing harm you you weren't just innocently asking a question as you claim and poor you had everyone jump on your back. You were spreading false information and sitting up fears all based on a you tube video. You realize anyone can pay anything they want in you tube. there is nothing wrong with what ezm did by pulling info from the web. His came with verifiable sources yours was a self purported you tube expert. I hope you can see the difference. it's attitudes like yours that give e thing like homeopathy and all the rest off the junk out there credence. Do some basic research on the subject rather than stirring up fear.

TT, I am assuming the OP isn't referring to me but appreciate the support.

I said the video is bunk, it's inaccurate and it's 100% wrong. I didn't blast the OP at all actually but am pretty upset how people can just make a video, and post any sort of fabricated fair tale.

Misinformation can really be harmful. Things like this really irk me. It's garbage info like this that arms the average joe to have a silly argument with someone on the forum who might just actually know what he/she is talking about.

There are more than a few qualified biologists here who are members of the forum. You never really know who you are talking to sometimes ... lol.

Anyways - I'm glad the information helped.

rapalaman
02-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Wow! thanks for that complete and thought out answer!! if i wanted the opinion of an arm chair fisherman i would have pm you.
There is three things wrong with everything you just said.
1. I never stated anything i only asked a ? go back and ask someone to read it to you!!
2.I had no attitude when this started its posts like yours and and a few others that give me a complex!!!:angry3:if you cant give me an answer then shut your power off!
3.I did do some research before i posted i got two very different answers from two very scientific sources i only linked the video so i didn't have to type for an hour. I never made it or said i believe it only showed it they stated it i questioned it if you feel all this fear you speak of lock your door and don't go outside and stay safe.

rapalaman
02-07-2014, 09:12 PM
now that everyone has had there turn i have now come to the conclusion that we can finally end this topic.

I agree with the posters that said the more dangerous hazard would be mis handling of the fish once it is out of the water i ie. hands in the gills,out of water too long improper holding and improper release.

I do believe that misleading info like the video apparently is stating should not be allowed, is there no q.c process before it gets uploaded it did look fairly well edited.

Rapalaman.

SNAPFisher
02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
now that everyone has had there turn i have now come to the conclusion that we can finally end this topic.

I agree with the posters that said the more dangerous hazard would be mis handling of the fish once it is out of the water i ie. hands in the gills,out of water too long improper holding and improper release.

I do believe that misleading info like the video apparently is stating should not be allowed, is there no q.c process before it gets uploaded it did look fairly well edited.

Rapalaman.

LOL! Well edited?? So that is your measure of truth?? Maybe I took a different tack because I read your original post and thought that "blah blah" would be easier for you to understand. Apparently you are smarter than that and maybe you can actually understand something more.

I'm not going to repeat EZM's last post but that essentially how I feel too. Maybe your original post would have been better server as "Hey all, do you think this is BS? Found it on the interweb..." Instead it sounded like you found your 2nd messiah and would follow him to any ends. Maybe you should re-read the last few paragraphs of your post. I found the all pretty ridiculous and now completely pointless as you have retracted from your original position. Well, if there is a bright side, hopefully you have learned something.

Enough chit chat, I'm going laker fishing. Think I'll start out in 150 FOW.

tight line
02-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Gotta add as we'll, there is several long winded threads on this on here, with some pretty solid proven data, as well as a lot of different takes from different types of fishermen of proper fish handling/methods etc. probably more productive, and definitely more personal than a google search. Always good to re hash it though..

rapalaman
02-07-2014, 10:03 PM
LOL! Well edited?? So that is your measure of truth?? Maybe I took a different tack because I read your original post and thought that "blah blah" would be easier for you to understand. Apparently you are smarter than that and maybe you can actually understand something more.

I'm not going to repeat EZM's last post but that essentially how I feel too. Maybe your original post would have been better server as "Hey all, do you think this is BS? Found it on the interweb..." Instead it sounded like you found your 2nd messiah and would follow him to any ends. Maybe you should re-read the last few paragraphs of your post. I found the all pretty ridiculous and now completely pointless as you have retracted from your original position. Well, if there is a bright side, hopefully you have learned something.

Enough chit chat, I'm going laker fishing. Think I'll start out in 150 FOW.

Good luck!!! your gonna need it as it turns out there's a cool scientific video i just saw on the personality of big lakers apparently they refuse to bite the hook of smart asses and anything that resembles a SNAP FISHER!!

rapalaman
02-07-2014, 10:04 PM
gotta add as we'll, there is several long winded threads on this on here, with some pretty solid proven data, as well as a lot of different takes from different types of fishermen of proper fish handling/methods etc. Probably more productive, and definitely more personal than a google search. Always good to re hash it though..

agreed!

Fishy
02-07-2014, 10:29 PM
People, please go beyond looking at one or two sources before developing views and opinions. If you are going to site a source, at least make it a viable one ie. peer reviewed articles and journals and NOT some crap you looked up on the internet in an attempt to back your un-educated argument.

SNAPFisher
02-08-2014, 08:44 AM
Good luck!!! your gonna need it as it turns out there's a cool scientific video i just saw on the personality of big lakers apparently they refuse to bite the hook of smart asses and anything that resembles a SNAP FISHER!!

Was it well edited?

TylerThomson
02-08-2014, 11:31 AM
two answers from scientific sources eh. I'm guessing one was YouTube and the other was some guy you meet at the bar lmao. Please do share your sources. I'm guessing they are well edited and probably even have stickers on the cover page. Lmao

I doubt I gave you a complex and am guessing your issues started much earlier in life.

Did you know that if you keep your tackle box in a glass pyramid with crystals under a full moon it would help you catch more fish. Trust me I saw it on YouTube.

Rabdo
02-08-2014, 02:54 PM
this video suits this thread.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLgz3wH2n8

rapalaman
02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=TylerThomson;2315619]two answers from scientific sources eh. I'm guessing one was YouTube and the other was some guy you meet at the bar lmao. Please do share your sources. I'm guessing they are well edited and probably even have stickers on the cover page. Lmao

I doubt I gave you a complex and am guessing your issues started much earlier in life.

Did you know that if you keep your tackle box in a glass pyramid with crystals under a full moon it would help you catch more fish. Trust me I saw it on YouTube.[/QUOTE

Did you know that if you keep your mouth shut and your ears open you just might learn something??? I'm getting very tired of dealing with with you goofballs all the time!!:angry3:If the lake trout breed as often as you arm chair haters that have nothing to contribute but a bunch rubbish then there would be no restrictions on them at all!! if you have nothing good to say do like your mom used to tell you and say noting at all!!!

As for my scientific source how about a university study from the sea grant biology institute published in 2013 on the affects of barotruma and a few ways to help the fish once they get it.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/newsletter/2013/05/let_em_down_easy_returning_a_fish_to_deep_water.ht ml

rapalaman
02-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Was it well edited?

Yes it was!! well written too!!! send me your e-mail addy if i can find it with pop up pictures and little coloring areas ill hook you up!!!

The Reel Deal
02-08-2014, 09:19 PM
J D

thx for the PM on handling practices. good stuff

tight line
02-08-2014, 10:38 PM
this video suits this thread.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXLgz3wH2n8

That's Gold! Lol

AppleJax
02-09-2014, 09:18 AM
[QUOTE=TylerThomson;2315619]two answers from scientific sources eh. I'm guessing one was YouTube and the other was some guy you meet at the bar lmao. Please do share your sources. I'm guessing they are well edited and probably even have stickers on the cover page. Lmao

Did you know that if you keep your tackle box in a glass pyramid with crystals under a full moon it would help you catch more fish. Trust me I saw it on YouTube.[/QUOTE

Did you know that if you keep your mouth shut and your ears open you just might learn something??? I'm getting very tired of dealing with with you goofballs all the time!!:angry3:If the lake trout breed as often as you arm chair haters that have nothing to contribute but a bunch rubbish then there would be no restrictions on them at all!! if you have nothing good to say do like your mom used to tell you and say noting at all!!!

As for my scientific source how about a university study from the sea grant biology institute published in 2013 on the affects of barotruma and a few ways to help the fish once they get it.

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r704/AJAlberda/Mobile%20Uploads/E996D19F-9404-4024-AE55-6C112F9D02F6_zpsdq4pee9q.jpg (http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/AJAlberda/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E996D19F-9404-4024-AE55-6C112F9D02F6_zpsdq4pee9q.jpg.html)

Geezle
02-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Must...resist...urge to post...:computer-18:

Instead, here's this, in response to AppleJax's post :medium-smiley-035:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttTaDZPuvw

rapalaman
02-09-2014, 08:13 PM
Must...resist...urge to post...:computer-18:

Instead, here's this, in response to AppleJax's post :medium-smiley-035:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ttTaDZPuvw

nice! lol

justinO
02-09-2014, 09:36 PM
We need to be careful with threads like this or one day we will be fishing in swimming pools for magnetic fish like the old carnival games. We get enough grief from the antis about EVERYTHING related to fishing and hunting lets not give them fuel :scared0018:

Highlander44
02-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Wow, this thread went side ways..... So, any other good recommendations for GREAT laker fishing?? BC/AB/SK, or Montana??