PDA

View Full Version : On the bottom for big pike

lromanchuk
02-07-2014, 05:19 PM
I know a lot of guys that fish for big pike by laying the bait on the bottom with a single hook running through the bait and out the mouth.

I've been using this technique for a few years and have had some pretty good success. BUT, i've also lost a TON of fish. So i tried running the single hook through the mouth with a sliding treble hook on the leader that i can hook through the spine of the bait. Unfortunately i think this has cost me to lose even more fish. Pulling on the line with a sliding hook creates just enough slack for the fish to get off. I went out yesterday and did fairly well...landed probably 10 pike, all between 30-40 inches, but i can't even count how many fish i lost right after "setting the hook". It's like a pull the stupid thing right out.

Anyway, enough ranting. Has anyone else has an issue like this using this technique? If so, how did you fix the problem???

kevinhits
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I know a lot of guys that fish for big pike by laying the bait on the bottom with a single hook running through the bait and out the mouth.

I've been using this technique for a few years and have had some pretty good success. BUT, i've also lost a TON of fish. So i tried running the single hook through the mouth with a sliding treble hook on the leader that i can hook through the spine of the bait. Unfortunately i think this has cost me to lose even more fish. Pulling on the line with a sliding hook creates just enough slack for the fish to get off. I went out yesterday and did fairly well...landed probably 10 pike, all between 30-40 inches, but i can't even count how many fish i lost right after "setting the hook". It's like a pull the stupid thing right out.

Anyway, enough ranting. Has anyone else has an issue like this using this technique? If so, how did you fix the problem???

Have heard of running a hook through the bait but will rather use a stinger on my pike hook up's.....

EZM
02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
Double snell two single hooks on fluorocarbon leader material. Seem to get good solid hook sets and they are easy to get out for a quick release.

I run a bead up 16" up from the hooks to act as a stop for my sliding egg sinker.

fish gunner
02-07-2014, 07:25 PM
Smaller high quality hooks , owner, gamagatsu, drennan. You just need a strong sharp hook that can be found in smaller sizes.

huntsfurfish
02-07-2014, 07:54 PM
google quick strike rig.

WayneChristie
02-07-2014, 09:48 PM
google quick strike rig.

those guys are into everything now! I just use homemade ones :bad_boys_20:

Pike fisher
02-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Years ago I found that if I ran the line through the bait, I missed a lot of fish when I went to set the hook. I think that it is because the point of the hook is too close to the bait and doesn't stick into the mouth of the fish. What I use now is 12 inches of steel line with a #6 or #8 treble at one end, a swivel at the other end and a slightly larger sliding treble (for real big baits, I up the size of each hook). Most guys think that I am crazy for using such small hooks, but the smaller I go the better my hooking percentage is (and I get more hits with smaller hooks). I buy good quality hooks and it seems to be working out, because my best 5 pike this winter so far are 17 lb, 17.5 lb, 22 lb, 22.5 lb and 24.5 lb + lots of fish under 12 pounds. Go with small hooks and lay your bait right on the bottom - you won't go back once you try it.

huntsfurfish
02-07-2014, 10:34 PM
those guys are into everything now! I just use homemade ones :bad_boys_20:

lol I get it now, went over my head for awhile.:)

Homemade ones are the best:sHa_shakeshout:

Tigger72
02-08-2014, 08:46 AM
So how about we share some pics of the minnow rigs we use???? I too am on this never ending search to find the right hook set up... I have been trying to make my own out of steel leader and the one that has worked but only on a large bait is the one of the left... The smaller one on the left I would use on a smaller bait as I find the sliding hook tends to fold the bait in half. I am thinking of using a small split shot as a stopper. Please feel free to add some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism as I'm pretty new to manufacturing !!:test:

EZM
02-08-2014, 05:47 PM
This is what I tie up and use ..... as per above post ....

2 high quality hooks - snelled a few inches apart on fluorocarbon leader material so they are invisible and bite proof for pike.

I run a bead up higher to act as a stop (see pink one in picture) and slide on an egg sinker and finish off the top with a barrel swivel.

The barrel swivel attaches to my main line via swivel snap and bead stop (yellow bead in picture). Your main line can be braid or whatever you want. I always use a bead for ice fishing so I don't crash my rod tip eye reeling up to quickly in shallower water as I'm watching the camera instead of my line ...... lol.

I found a huge improvement in solid hook sets using this set up.

I used 40lb fluorocarbon leader material for my last batch .... they are bullet proof and Chuck Norris approved.

One more thing - if you are dead sticking your herring on bottom - run the minnow nose down - the pike will take the head into his mouth and when he swims away, he won't feel line in his mouth as easily AND the hook is oriented properly to allow good penetration.

The Reel Deal
02-08-2014, 05:53 PM
If you are using big baits and you are missing fish on the hook set, I wouldn't worry about it. Those fish were too small and not worth the effort! Can't believe how many small fish pick up more than they can chew.

dodger
02-08-2014, 06:05 PM
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/Dodger1234/Fishing/dynamite_zip_thumbnail1_jpg74177245-F5A0-458F-863FE15002204420_jpgLarge_zpsf465677f.jpg (http://s574.photobucket.com/user/Dodger1234/media/Fishing/dynamite_zip_thumbnail1_jpg74177245-F5A0-458F-863FE15002204420_jpgLarge_zpsf465677f.jpg.html)

This usually works well!! Sometimes I can have enough fish for the smoker after a minute at the lake. It's a little old fashion but works.

Dodger.

The Reel Deal
02-08-2014, 06:19 PM
this is how i set my bait. I make my own 20" leaders with a single barbless hook. Since i always C&R, the barbless hook ( use a dremel to make it smooth ) comes out quick, and i set it in the middle of the back to reduce any deep hook sets. I thread the leader shallow through the back and out the tail, this allows the leader to rip through the back on the hook set. I lose more bait, but whatever.

WayneChristie
02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
this is my pig rig for big baits, I use 1 or 2 trebles for smaller baits, with 2 one at each end, and for one I like to hook it at the head, the pike always turn the bait to eat it head first. sometimes half way down if its a smaller bait
I did catch one on this bait today, 10 pound pike on 13 inch bait. watched it circle until it could grab it by the head, just happened to have a hook there :sHa_shakeshout: the hooks should be able to rip out of the bait easily so they sink into the pikes mouth
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/P2080022_zps21605f18.jpg

dodger
02-08-2014, 07:12 PM
this is my pig rig for big baits, I use 1 or 2 trebles for smaller baits, with 2 one at each end, and for one I like to hook it at the head, the pike always turn the bait to eat it head first. sometimes half way down if its a smaller bait
I did catch one on this bait today, 10 pound pike on 13 inch bait. watched it circle until it could grab it by the head, just happened to have a hook there :sHa_shakeshout: the hooks should be able to rip out of the bait easily so they sink into the pikes mouth
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/P2080022_zps21605f18.jpg

I would probably bleed to death just prepping that setup !!

Dodger ;)

WayneChristie
02-08-2014, 07:24 PM

Dodger ;)

try unhooking a big pike, lots of fun playing keepaway when it thrashes. thats half the fun for me!:sHa_shakeshout:

lromanchuk
02-08-2014, 08:27 PM
good feedback guys. awesome to see everyones different setups.

barbless hooks are pretty much a necessity with the single hook approach. sometimes they get hooked so deep you'd rip the poor thing to shreds with barbs.

Tigger72
02-08-2014, 09:54 PM
thanks for adding the pig rig pics guys... I new I could count on ya!!
:sHa_shakeshout:

Jack&7
02-09-2014, 12:52 PM
From another thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showpost.php?p=2275289&postcount=11

Tigger72
02-09-2014, 01:35 PM
From another thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showpost.php?p=2275289&postcount=11

Ahh the shameless plug for someone with nice rigs and fancy drawings.....
( I kinda copied yours... )
The second pic that you have in that post what do you use as a stopper on the single hook ... I was thinking of using a tiny split shot that I use for fly fishing...)

muzzy
02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Folks the same technique of laying a big minnow on bottom works great for lake trout too and at first we lost a lot of them using the same technique of threading line through large smelt or herring, tail to mouth and tieing a hook at mouth. Couple things to note :
1: make sure to tie a half hitch in line near tail to prevent the line ( and hook) from sliding thru bait fish and hook moving away from bait ie the bait slides up the line.
2: when bait is on botton the fish usually pick it up sideways and take off with it in its mouth sideways. Fish nearly always swallow its prey head first so they run ten feet or so with prey in mouth sideways then stop and turn the bait so they can swallow head first.( remember the hook is in its mouth) The natural tendancy when you see the flag go up or line running out is to give a yank. If you do so the hook isn't in the mouth of the game fish yet as it hasn't turned the bait. Be patient, wait for line to stop and when it starts to move the second time then its turned bait and started swallowing it and hook will be well into mouth and time to nail it.
Believe me it took us losing a few dozen before we figured out what was going on and now its very rare we lose a fish when fishing this way

Gord

Jack&7
02-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Ahh the shameless plug for someone with nice rigs and fancy drawings.....
( I kinda copied yours... )
The second pic that you have in that post what do you use as a stopper on the single hook ... I was thinking of using a tiny split shot that I use for fly fishing...)

Actually, I don't have a stopper. The single hook IMHO is merely there to hold the bait and aid in the presentation. It also keeps the leader material away from the head (less chance to spook as they take it head-first). I like having the single hook to be able to slide anywhere along the leader...this allows the rig to work with any size bait!

The treble is the 'catch' hook.

Red Bullets
02-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Folks the same technique of laying a big minnow on bottom works great for lake trout too and at first we lost a lot of them using the same technique of threading line through large smelt or herring, tail to mouth and tieing a hook at mouth. Couple things to note :
1: make sure to tie a half hitch in line near tail to prevent the line ( and hook) from sliding thru bait fish and hook moving away from bait ie the bait slides up the line.
2: when bait is on botton the fish usually pick it up sideways and take off with it in its mouth sideways. Fish nearly always swallow its prey head first so they run ten feet or so with prey in mouth sideways then stop and turn the bait so they can swallow head first.( remember the hook is in its mouth) The natural tendancy when you see the flag go up or line running out is to give a yank. If you do so the hook isn't in the mouth of the game fish yet as it hasn't turned the bait. Be patient, wait for line to stop and when it starts to move the second time then its turned bait and started swallowing it and hook will be well into mouth and time to nail it.Believe me it took us losing a few dozen before we figured out what was going on and now its very rare we lose a fish when fishing this way

Gord

X2 Exactly.

Timing is everything. Take time for the hook set with pike and bait. Set the hook on the second run. One thing I find is if a person waits too long during the second run is that the fish may be hooked deeper and sometimes into the gullet, because the fish has had time to 'swallow/inhale' the bait. A bigger bait might not cause deep gullet hookings as much on the smaller undersized pike.

Good luck setting the hook on them 'alberta mermaids'.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Michael_Brown
02-10-2014, 08:08 AM

Dodger ;)

:budo:

:)

stob
02-10-2014, 08:13 AM
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/dodger1234/fishing/dynamite_zip_thumbnail1_jpg74177245-f5a0-458f-863fe15002204420_jpglarge_zpsf465677f.jpg (http://s574.photobucket.com/user/dodger1234/media/fishing/dynamite_zip_thumbnail1_jpg74177245-f5a0-458f-863fe15002204420_jpglarge_zpsf465677f.jpg.html)

this usually works well!! Sometimes i can have enough fish for the smoker after a minute at the lake. It's a little old fashion but works.

Dodger.

also known as a cil spinner

The Reel Deal
02-10-2014, 08:15 AM
X2 Exactly.

Timing is everything. Take time for the hook set with pike and bait. Set the hook on the second run. One thing I find is if a person waits too long during the second run is that the fish may be hooked deeper and sometimes into the gullet, because the fish has had time to 'swallow/inhale' the bait. A bigger bait might not cause deep gullet hookings as much on the smaller undersized pike.

Good luck setting the hook on them 'alberta mermaids'.

__________________________________________________ ______________

X2

Thats why I remove my barbs and set my hook in the middle of the bait. Found I had too many deep hooks when I set my hook in the head of the bait. Some girls turn the bait on the fly, start swallowing and don't stop running.

WayneChristie
02-10-2014, 08:32 AM
If Im using a smaller bait like a herring on open bottom I like a single treble in tbe side of tge head, and set the bait so the tail is on the sand and the head is up, pike and big walleye will grab the head and you get a good hookset right away. Thats why I like the camera you can fine tune your presentation